Cat collars Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 04-29-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Cat collars

Cat collars

If you own an outdoor cat and you want to put a collar on it for identification, please use the break-away collars. I just had a cat in my yard that had it's front leg caught in it's collar and I was unable to catch it to let it loose. Hopefully, it went home.
Old 05-02-2010

Yes well I had a break away collar for my indoor cat. I came home to find he had got it stuck in his mouth and he had clawed the sides of his face raw trying to get it out. I had the collar on him just in case he got outside. It was terrible. I bought him a beastie band and even that he got caught in his mouth! The other cat never has that issue. That poor cat sanne.
Old 05-02-2010

I saw the cat the next day and it was free, thank God.
Old 05-03-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

My cats don't wear collars for the very reason you both said above and because they might get hooked up in a twig or a tree. The breakaway ones don't survive to get back to the house once they leave on the neck of a cat. Waste of money in the end so no collars.
Old 05-08-2010

you could always have your pets microchipped.
Old 05-08-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

True but microchips are only able to identify if the finder has a microchip reader. My vet suggested an ear tatoo. But again only those who know about these things would have any idea of what they were and ow to go about identifying the owner
Old 05-10-2010

there has been some reports of the microchip causing issues..even cancer. I am not one to jump on the hysteria train but I am leery of putting foreign things under my own skin. LOL!