New Albert School, West Genealogy & Local History

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Genealogy & Local History

Old 02-26-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: New Albert School, West

New Albert School, West

Seeing in there "wisdom" they have chosen to tear it down would anyone have any pictures of New Albert from the mid to late 60"s ?

Thanks
Bill
Old 02-26-2007

RE

I also went to New Albert school. I graduated in 92 from grade nine. I don't think I have any pictures, but I do have a video from my grad dance! Great memories.
Old 02-26-2007

I went there as well..last grade 7 class, i have a pic that was taken I think in 96...its the entire school standing out front...all 120 of us... k-9 now I understand why they closed down...at the time i was mad at the world sending me to stupid old beaconsfield. haha

barb
Old 02-27-2007

I was class of '85(1-9), I sure do miss seeing it there. I would have loved seeing my kids going there, it would be closer than St. Pats...
Old 02-28-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

My mother and father both went to new Albert in the 40s and 50s, my mother hated it so much that when it came time for me to go to school in 1975, she refused to send me there even though that was my "zone" -she fought with the school board so I could go to Havelock. I have some class photos from the 1940s that I have been planning to scan and upload somewhere for, oh, 4 or 5 years since I first got a scanner. Some day I will get around to it.
Old 02-28-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

i didnt even know about that school but then again i dont know anything about the west side lol did the tear it down? where abouts was it
Old 03-01-2007

Middle of Duke st west, across from King Sq. with the double tennis courts, and beside Lesters Trophys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by megz View Post
i didnt even know about that school but then again i dont know anything about the west side lol did the tear it down? where abouts was it
Old 03-31-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Talking Topic: New Albert School, West

I loved NAS

I went to New Albert School from gr 1 to graduated in Gr 9. I graduated from NAS in 1980 and I starteed school in 1970. I was in choir most every year directed by Mrs Hazen with Mrs Ball on piano. Mr Frank Ridout was the principal and some of my teachers that I remember were Mrs Millar, Mr Plume, Mr Ball, Mrs Wheaton,Mr McAuliff and my favorite teacher of all times was my gr 9 teacher Mr Arsenault. I remember the music room was way down in the basement past the gym, Art was at the other end of the school(primary) and it was down stairs along with the dark room. I spent the best years in school at that school I was so sad when they closed it and then tore it down ,I often wonder what ever happened to the trophies and stuff that was in the big glass showcases...remember those they were up in the Jr high level between the windows that looked down into the gym...We won awards for music shows and snow rain nor sleet would keep our choir from the empty stocking fund I remember getting on the bus and going over town to the chsj building freezing cold... lol wow what greta memories I don't have any pictures of the school but you should check out a site that we have called saint john memories its an msn group I have a lot of post there with a lot of names from the school and the west side as I lived there my whole life check it out I have 1 pic posted of NAS but it was from years ago but heh didnt look a lot different
Old 04-08-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

alberts school

Hi, I went there for one year from 84 to 85....I had lived in Saint John for only one year....and i had met some great kids and I do wish i'd see them again...I also remember some of those teachers....Mr Rideout was principal when i went and Capson was vice...or maybe that was visa versa lol...so long ago now can't remember...it sure was one year to rememeber lol !!!!
Old 04-11-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

I remember Mr Capson (he always looked like his head was gonna blow ) lol he was a supply when I went there (1970-1979) God I miss those days lol great kids I remember some of them like Jeff Spencer,Brian Hargrove,Doug Esterbrooks(Weilsil) Doug Epton, Randy Huckins...McKinnions,Knox,Camerons....
Old 04-13-2007

oh my word!! mrs hazen and mrs ball!!! ok i started in 1990 and they were both old then and still did the choir/piano thing. mrs ball was my grade 1 teacher...my entire family went there...i remember grade 7 with mr keating saing are you any relation to carla humphrey, i said yea shes my aunt and he likes ok do i give you a "F" you now or at home report time....i was os mad! i actually tried in that class to prove hims wrong...
Old 05-13-2007

First in a series of photos from ABT 1945-1952. This one is from about 1947, it reads "Grade 4" on the back and given my father's age, this would have been 1947.
Old 05-13-2007

This is my mother's class, either 1945 or 1946 based on her apparent age.

This one has names on the back, no first names for most except Bobby Cormier (Top far right corner), Ralph Tippett (poss 2nd row, blond, far right), and Heather Hogan (black shirt with brown jumper, lower left).
The rest are D Adams, E Adams, A Mackenzie, A Bent, S Miller, D Angevine, J Nice, R MacCollum, N Thorne, G Burley, P Bentley, D Taylor, P Galbraith, J Wills, P Mills, M Howe, S Scribner, M L Howe, S Clark, V Myles, V Splane, D Norwood, N NAson, K Maccollum, S STubbs, D Mitchell, D Miller, P Hargrove,
Old 05-13-2007

This is possibly 1949-no date on the back but my father doesnt look much older than the Grade 4 photo.

This one also mostly has no first names. C wilson, R Seath, M alston, D mills, E Koven, L Byers, C Evans, S Calvin, B Stephenson, M FOx, A Lewis, E anderson, L Melvin, G Walsh, B Miller, L Wallace, Donny Corkum, D Walker, G Armstrong, Bobby Lee, Maury Burnett, C Lee, K Mackee, F Hersey, G Allaby.
Old 05-13-2007

This must be 1948, my father looks between the age of the 1947 pic and this one. No names on the back.

Old 06-05-2007

Location: RIP alex march 1969-august 2007, always missing you little brother-RIP china.

here is a picture i came across

Old 07-03-2007

Class of 1985 get together coming up soon..
yoda1808@hotmail.com for details..
Old 12-07-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

I was of the last of the grade 9s to leave New Albert. I know I still have my year book kicking around here somewhere.
Old 12-08-2007

hi I have a few photos of the school during World War Two but.check out Fred Miller-Dave Goss's two books about the lower west. There are a few photos of the school.
Old 12-09-2007

well drive by there now new development going up New Albert Court townhouses