Saint John Classifieds & Forums

Saint John Classifieds & Forums (http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/index.php)
-   Jobs & Education (http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Cell Centres Question (http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=33080)

dancing_supastar 09-24-2007 09:09 PM

Cell Centres Question

Does anyone know about call centres and university students. I've heard wyndham is flexible with hours and will pay your tuition or something and i've heard eddie bauer has student hours or something. If anyone knows anything about it, anything would be appreciated.

The_Dave 09-25-2007 07:39 AM

I personally have not heard anything about call centers paying tuition. Kind of makes no sense, because you probably would not be staying there after you finish school anyway, so why invest in your future. I do know that some call centres will let you work around your school hours. If I were you, I would contact the various call centers you are interested in and get the information from them. This is better than second hand news. Good Luck

JustWatching 09-25-2007 07:58 AM

Yes...Some do

The last CC I worked at (again, not in SJ) did that....they would pay for your tution....IF....the courses you were taking could better you within the company...ie. HR courses, Business....however there was a lot of red tape and you had to have a certain average....I think it went something like if you ended up with a mark of 60% they paid nothing....70% they paid 50% ....80% they paid 75%....I think it was 85% + they paid 100%

Don't quote me on these numbers....just rough estimates of what I can remember....I do believe you paid upfront and then at the end of year they reimburssed you.

I think you had to remain with the company for 2-5yrs after graduation in order not not have to pay them back.

Also I guess they did this on the assumption that you may not stay with the company for life....but if you were looking to better yourself and move up within their company they wanted to help.

Usually these are very large companies....worldwide....with a lot more businesses than CC's under their name.

Oh and as far as hours for students....generally....CC's will work around a students hours....can't speak for all them....but I believe most will make an attempt.

The_Dave 09-25-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWatching (Post 159035)
The last CC I worked at (again, not in SJ) did that....they would pay for your tution....IF....the courses you were taking could better you within the company...ie. HR courses, Business....however there was a lot of red tape and you had to have a certain average....I think it went something like if you ended up with a mark of 60% they paid nothing....70% they paid 50% ....80% they paid 75%....I think it was 85% + they paid 100%

Don't quote me on these numbers....just rough estimates of what I can remember....I do believe you paid upfront and then at the end of year they reimburssed you.

I think you had to remain with the company for 2-5yrs after graduation in order not not have to pay them back.

Also I guess they did this on the assumption that you may not stay with the company for life....but if you were looking to better yourself and move up within their company they wanted to help.

Usually these are very large companies....worldwide....with a lot more businesses than CC's under their name.

Oh and as far as hours for students....generally....CC's will work around a students hours....can't speak for all them....but I believe most will make an attempt.

I believe they were asking about part time work to allow them to still attend university, in which case the call centres or any other company for that matter would pay nothing towards tuition.

Most companies will help with tuition if you are full time and they know you plan to stay and make a career with them.

JustWatching 09-25-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dave (Post 159053)
I believe they were asking about part time work to allow them to still attend university, in which case the call centres or any other company for that matter would pay nothing towards tuition.

Most companies will help with tuition if you are full time and they know you plan to stay and make a career with them.

Oh...Part Time...well thats a different story....no I don't think there would be any willing to do that.

Sorry...guess I misunderstood the question :)

MissMem 09-26-2007 09:59 AM

I work at the Irving contact center and I'm a part time university student. Once I had the job, they had me send them my school schedule and they booked my hours around it so they don't clash. They also have a program where if what your studying in school relates to the company (ex: like business courses, etc) then they have some sort of a tuition reimbursement program. I don't know what exactly the guidelines are though because I didn't qualify because my studies have nothing to do with my job but its the highest paying call center I found in the city.

hack 09-26-2007 10:45 PM

I know that one of the inbound programs in NCO did that as well. I have a friend that worked for MSN and he brought in his work schedule and they worked around it for him.

The_Dave 09-27-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMem (Post 159503)
I work at the Irving contact center and I'm a part time university student. Once I had the job, they had me send them my school schedule and they booked my hours around it so they don't clash. They also have a program where if what your studying in school relates to the company (ex: like business courses, etc) then they have some sort of a tuition reimbursement program. I don't know what exactly the guidelines are though because I didn't qualify because my studies have nothing to do with my job but its the highest paying call center I found in the city.

Most centres will do this, as for helping with tuition, I believe you would need to be full time and giving some sort of guarantee that you are going to stay after the studies are done.

Cartersmom 09-27-2007 11:41 PM

I know at Eddie Bauer you can opt for weekends only, if you're a student.

fbisassy 09-29-2007 09:26 AM

Call Centers and Tuition

I used to work at Wyndham and yes they do pay your tuition and yes they do have flexible hours...I believe as a student you had to work something like 29 hours a week and if Im not mistaken one of them had to be an 8 hr on Sat or Sun. I think that is how it went and they did pay your tuition according to your marks...the better your marks...the more they paid...go online and look it up on their website...it should be there somewhere...Good Luck

Vix 10-05-2007 02:16 PM

www.wyndhamworldwidecanada.com

Vix

FutureChief88 10-05-2007 02:39 PM

This is true.. At my work.. It depends on what you make for marks.. On what they will pay.. And its something like 12-18 months of service afterwards.. Not sure on the exact length.. But its something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dave (Post 160048)
Most centres will do this, as for helping with tuition, I believe you would need to be full time and giving some sort of guarantee that you are going to stay after the studies are done.

Chinna Dah 10-08-2007 08:50 PM

Yes Wyndham does work around school schedules, and yes they do pay for tuitions. and no it does not have to be work related, one of my old supervisors was studing to be a doctor (neurolagist), worked there for 4 or 5 years, and he never paid a dime for his tuitions, he did work full time also, we was very well respected at work, and it was sad to see him leave, but he had a heavy school load, and just could not handle both anymore.

dow_71 10-22-2007 09:30 PM

If you are going into the interview with the employer knowing you are a student and that you need flexible hours... they will no doubt work around you. I know that NCO is currently looking for people and are paying a nice sign on bonus.

just-me 10-23-2007 09:03 AM

If you are looking for call center work while going to school, I would avoid Sitel. I interviewed there and mentioned to them that I was doing distance education, which i do on my own time, and would schedule around whatever job I would be working. The one interviewing me was insistent that they were not able to accomodate students. I could not make them understand that I didnt need any accomodation. That was what my whole interview consisted of. How they couldnt accomodate part time schedules. Any company that doesn't support its workers in furthering their education makes me wonder.

JustWatching 10-23-2007 09:05 AM

Eddie Bauer

I heard yesterday on the radio that EB is looking for people...with a sign on bonus of $400 (I believe)....

You can walk in and apply....seems like they're always hiring....not sure if they're just really busy or having a hard time finding (keeping?) people....but that is an option for you...

KRS 10-24-2007 12:00 PM

EB does this every year for Christmas overflow.

JustWatching 10-24-2007 12:11 PM

Yes that is probably it...I mean the reason for the sign on bonus....but seems like I've been hearing for probably 8months or so about EB hiring (walk in interviews)....

lizard_lover 10-24-2007 04:30 PM

Sitel does accomodate student schedules, for some anyways. (I work at Sitel) The girl next to me was working full time when she started, and is now part time and works around her school schedule.
Our work is doing a bonus, if you apply and use an already existing worker as your referral, that eprson will get 500$ if you stay for 3 months. as well, right now since we are so hurting for people, if you just apply and have a referral, that person auto gets a 20$ gift card for walmart...so if anyone wants to apply and use my name as a referral, please do so lol