PDA

View Full Version : Dogs bad eating habits??

domarloc
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
My dog will go days without eating then she will eat fine for a few days and then stop eating again. I have changed her food too many times to mention thinking that she did not like that particlar brand. The only way I can ensure that she eats everyday is if I give her soft food which I am not sure is great for her either. When she was a puppy the vet told me to give her hard food regularly and the occassional can of soft food as more of a treat. Anybody else have a similar problem?

miss_daisie
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
my nannys got THEE biggest us pot ever! She will go a few days without eating and my nanny actually has to cook up liver and mix it in with her soft food to get her to eat it. Never found a way to fix it. My thoughts usually are if tehy are hungry they will eat. But You may want to tray a brand like Ol roy. A girl I werk with uses it because when you put water to it it makes a kind of gravy I guess. Her dog goes nuts for it. She also somtiems ads bacon grease to it... not really sure if that owuld do harm tho... more of a treat thing aswell.

CM
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi there, there are lots of good foods out there. Not to insult the previous poster but Ol Roy dog food is absolute garbage. There isn't much of anything good in that food. Have you ever tried Nutrience or Nutro? Much more natural type foods that have a lot of goodness in them and are good for the dogs. If you think a gravy type thing may help, Iams sells that bottled stuff you add to dry food that makes like a gravy coating on the food.
Just another thought, what size is the dog, large or small. And what size is the kibble that the dog is eating? A larger dog should have a large kibble, something they have to actually crunch to eat. And the same goes for smaller dogs, smaller kibble. If a large dog is getting too small a kibble he will just inhale the food without chewing, and probably end up not feeling full.
I know Nutrience and Nutro have things in their food that make the dog feel full, so they don't eat as much of it as they would a food filled with preservatives and artificial fillers.
Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

mama2be
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
my dog used to always have the nutro food from the pet store but after he was about a year and a half he decided he didn't like it anymore. we tried him on other foods from teh pet store and he didn't care for them either and also tried a few of the grocery store brands as well like pedigree and a few others and found he liked the purina benefull the best. and you can buy it in soft food as well. My dog loves the soft stuff made by benefull and it looks like it actually has really food in it and not all mushy like most soft food for animals. you can actually see the beens and carrotts adn the meat in it. Not sure if the benefull brand food is a really good choice health wise but it doesn't seems too bad. before that we used to have to put water in his food for him to eat it and it would sit there for a while before he ate it too. but when we gave him the benefull he ate it right up as soon as we put it in his dish. Maybe give this kind a try.

amethyst
03-01-2007, 04:57 AM
My baby eats nutro. BUT..when he doesn't eat i look around the house to see why he's not hungry. It's usually because he's already eaten. The cat food. Sneaky little devil. She (the cat) has one of those dishes that keeps feeding them.):rofl:

domarloc
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. She is a large dog and does have larger kibble. CM where can you buy this nutro food. At this point I am willing to try anything. As for Amethyst's comment about eating something other than her food.....the only other thing she eats is rocks.....yes rocks! :eek: I never once said she was smart!! I don't know how I could possibly stop her from eating them seeing how our entire driveway is crushed stone.

amethyst
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
lol...no wonder he's not hungry. I imagine he's good and full.

christine chittick
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
My dog will go days without eating then she will eat fine for a few days and then stop eating again. I have changed her food too many times to mention thinking that she did not like that particlar brand. The only way I can ensure that she eats everyday is if I give her soft food which I am not sure is great for her either. When she was a puppy the vet told me to give her hard food regularly and the occassional can of soft food as more of a treat. Anybody else have a similar problem?

Ahhhh.... lol, sounds like your doggie trained you to spoil him/her with all those different kinds of yummy foods! My male rottie had this exact same problem. That dog was the WORST....and however, unfortunately, I made the problem even worse. Here's why...

My boy started to not eat all his food, wasn't interested etc. had him the vet, vet checked him all over, clean bill of health. He was being fed real good foods, Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice, Canidae (drove to Oromocto and back and paid 73.00 for 40lbs i think it was). I fed Blue Seal, I fed just about everything...Well he got worse and worse, seemed like he would eat one bag and decide he didnt like it any more, so I went and bought a different kind. Well, I made him even more picky. My bad. Lesson learned.

So what I did come meal time, was give him 2 cups of food in the morning, 2 cups at night....put the food in the crate, put him in the crate, let him eat. When he finished what he was going to eat, I would go and take the food out. No more til next feeding. I stopped making a deal out of him not eating and I stopped buying all kinds of different foods, and being left with several bags of expensive foods that he wouldn't eat. I gave him one kind...one kind only - if he didnt eat it for a few days, or stopped eating it after a few days. Too bad for him.

Dogs will NOT starve themselves. They will eat when they are hungry enough. Trust me. Dont make a big deal if he/she doesnt eat their food. Ignore the fact even though I know it drives you nuts cuz it did me too. I hated the fact my boy wouldnt eat. Leave it down for a certain amount of time, and if they don't eat it, pick it up, put it away til next feeding etc. Keep doing it. Eventually they will come around. Be consistent. :)

CM
03-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi there, Global Pet Foods over by Micheals Arts and Crafts sells Nutro as well as a lot of other really good foods. But I know Nutro is a very good food. And they have a wide variety of canned foods as well in the Nutro line.
I do agree with christine chittick though, find a really good food and stick with it. Dogs will eat when hungry, but wow, rocks. Go figure, must think she needs the roughage. LOL

christine chittick
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Forgot to mention:

There is a Pet Corral located on West Saint John down by the Aquarius. There is another located in Quispamsis just off the highway behind the Esso.
They have a great line of foods such as Nutro Natural and another one I don't mind is Blue Seal. Also Global Foods like CM said also sells Nutro Products.

PS- The Nutro Natural is better quality than the Nutro Max.

Kim
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I had the same problem, tried almost everything out there including the most expensive brands and finally I settled on Blue Seal Lamb and Rice and I mix it with 1/4 of a large can of food. He's now very excited at beakfast time and I'm happy that he's eating. Blue Seal is bought at the pet corral and has a buy 12 get one free program.

CrazyPeanut
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
My dog is the same. She is very fussy. She will eat for a couple of days then nothing. I talked to our awesome vet assistant Sheena at Loch Lomond Vet hospital and she told me that the dog will eat when she is hungry. She will not allow herself to go hungry. Personally, I think my dog is so fussy because we feed her fun things alot (chicken, ham bones etc). Why eat the crap when you can hold out for the real thing right? Oh and I might add, we have no problem getting her to eat the cat's food....:<