PDA

View Full Version : st peters catholic girls school

major
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has ever gone to St Peter's Girl school up by fort howe in the middle 1950s. I was there in 1955 or 56 and had a teacher named Sister Theresa. Does anyone remember her. Thanks I remember living on Murray st under the bridge now. Long gone. Just a memory moment.

wiggy
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I went to St Peters school and all so had sister Theresa in grade 1
I allso live on Murry St. ,murry st is the street that had the stairs coming down from main st
what was your name

Crystalbeach
03-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I started Grade 1 there in 1948 ...stayed there until Grade 6..then went to St. Peter's Intermediate for Grades 7 & 8

I lived on Portland Street when I started school..we moved to Adelaide and then to Margaret Court.

I also had Sister Theresa for Grade 1

major
03-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I was born in 1950 so i went there in 1956 and after that we moved to the country and started school in loch lomond for grade 2. i remember walking up those steps from main st to go to school. last name was Fuller we lived at either 54 or 64 murray st. I remember a kid named Bruce something or other and a girl named either Janine or Jannie and Francis

Disneyland
03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I didn't go to St. Peters but we lived on Murray Street as did my aunt and cousins. I was born in 1956 and have an older brother and sister.

TrueLine
03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I lived on Murray St until 1967, then moved to Douglas Ave. I went to Dufferin elementry, right beside the St Peters schools

Sandra D.
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I went ot St.Peters in 1963 - 1966 and I also lived on Murray St.

major
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I figured out I went there from sept 56 until june 57. Would anyone have any pics of that time. and also to Disney how old would your brother and sister be. I have a bro who was born on murray street in 1952 and a sister in 1955.

Disneyland
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I figured out I went there from sept 56 until june 57. Would anyone have any pics of that time. and also to Disney how old would your brother and sister be. I have a bro who was born on murray street in 1952 and a sister in 1955.

Hi, my sister was born in 1943 and my brother was born in 1947. I can't recall what number on Murray St. we lived but I believe the family next door was the Kingston's??

vairscove
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I went to Saint Peters Girls school in1955 until 1957 then we moved to Beaver Harbour. I also had the same nun in grade one and Sister Patranella for grade two. We moved back to Saint John and I went there again for grade five and six then into Saint John Intermediate School until grade nine.
We lived on Bridge Street in the early grades then all over the North End for the later grades. Hung around a lot of kids from Murray Street, Sheriffe Street and Main Street. I sure do remember those stairs as well. Skated at the old rink that was there before the Lord Beaverbrook.
Lord I suddenly feel old!! LOL As the song says "They Were The Days My Friend " Thanks for the memories.

TrueLine
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow!! Lots of Murrary St. alumni. My memories start on Murray St. I remember Living at the lower end. Ned Landry was the landlord. Martins store (Mutts) was about half way to the stairs, then a few alleys up there was a rubber factory. There was always small rubber discs that the kids would throw. I also remember a candy from that area, I think they called it an "old fashion".

vairscove
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Does anyone remember Fransblow's Grocery Store,O'Neil"s Funeral Home,Willet Fruit and mcCready's Pickle factory.The Noth End was a booming place to live.I worked at McCready's one whole summer in my early teens.

major
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
truelilne - wasnt ned landry the guy who played the fiddle. I sure wish someone had a picture of the 56-57 class at st petes or no of someplace to get one. and just another note my father-in-law worked as a meat cutter at Fransblows for years and years before he died. I am so glad I started this thread. so many memories. I even have my cousin in Texas looking at it. She went to st petes also and lived in the rifle range. She would be 60 now.

Disneyland
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow!! Lots of Murrary St. alumni. My memories start on Murray St. I remember Living at the lower end. Ned Landry was the landlord. Martins store (Mutts) was about half way to the stairs, then a few alleys up there was a rubber factory. There was always small rubber discs that the kids would throw. I also remember a candy from that area, I think they called it an "old fashion".

I remember Mutts, we used to take our pop bottles there and get our penny candy. I also remember my Mom walking us down Main Street to the Grand Department Store and there was a shoe store as well. We would always stop at the bakery for jam filled donuts.

TrueLine
03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Yep, that's right Major. Ned was the fiddler..a bit of a celeb' back then as I remember. I also used to go to Fransblows, Fred J Watts, Grahams Resturant. I think the bakery Disney' mentioned was the original Titus Bakery. Anyone remember Deans Hill? I used to get in trouble all the time for hanging out with the big kids on the hill..lol. They were about 8 and I was 5..lol.

major
03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I also had my first communion at st. petes church. I remember my little white dress and shoes. Had my pic taken out back of the church by a bunch of statues. Wonder if they are still there. boy once you start talking it all comes back eh? Someone should start a chat group or something. I bet some of us remember a lot of stuff or each other for that matter.

Disneyland
03-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Yep, that's right Major. Ned was the fiddler..a bit of a celeb' back then as I remember. I also used to go to Fransblows, Fred J Watts, Grahams Resturant. I think the bakery Disney' mentioned was the original Titus Bakery. Anyone remember Deans Hill? I used to get in trouble all the time for hanging out with the big kids on the hill..lol. They were about 8 and I was 5..lol.

I remember Dean's Hill, I don't think I ever went there as I was only 5 when we moved but I do remember my sister getting into trouble for going there.

I think there was a vacant lot as well at the end of the street on the same side I lived on and the kids all played ball there.

vairscove
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Speaking of Grahams, that is where my wedding reception was held.
I remember watching the boys jump from the old scows into the water.That would be under the railway bridge which is now Chesley Drive. It is where the H.M.C.S. Brunswicker is now.
I also did the first communion thing at Saint Peters Church. Every Friday the nuns would walk us from the school to the church for confession. If the gilrs did not have a hat they would put a kleenex on our heads. That I will never forget!
I also remember a store on the corner of Main and Elm Street where we walked every day to school.There was an intersection we would cross there to go to Simon Street.They sold these huge apples for a nickel. I think it was called Quality Packing.There was McArthur's Wallpaper Store that was there for years.

I remember McCavours has a small fish plant on Long Wharf.
I also remember climbing the rocks on Fort Howe.
I just got off the phone with my mom who is now 87 in May and we had a great chat about the North End and I must say her memery is far better than mine.I will list some of the places she remembered.
Gaults Store (towards Bridge Street)
Welsford's Drug store ( Had the soda fountain)
Main Street Jewelers
Joyce's Food Market.
Sam's Smoke Shop
Everette' Store
Howard's Pharmacy ( Under the railing going to Rockland Road)
Arnoff Second hand Store.
Halifax Seeds
Old Cold Storage( by the Viaduct)
A man's Tailor shop. Cannot remember waht the name was.
Bob's Fish n Chips.
Regent Theatre
Regent Taxi
Ed's Taxi

So here are some more places to add to the memories. This is indeed fun!!
My mom has a book written about the North End as she will try to find it for me. So I am sure there will be more to add to the list.

major
03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
the McCavours held the mortgage on my in-laws house out in the country. Also my cousin peter murphy wrote a book about the fullers and murphys on the north end and south end. it is really lots of fun reading about all the memories.

vairscove
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
It sure is!! I am still talking about with my hubby. He remembers some I do not. This is so much fun.
As a little kid I use to clean fish for McCavours on Saturdays for some spending money.
Mom was telling me there was a small police Station on Acadia Street but it really was jut a place for them to come in and warm up at night. I actually remember that place too.
Another couple of places we remember was Stirling Electric and Brittains Shoe Repair. Wassons Drug Store and the Bank of Nova Scotia was way down Main Street towords Paradise Row.
It is amazing what comes back to us when we really get on a roll.

Crystalbeach
03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Taffy Tom's
Watts Hardware
Titus Bakery
O'Keefe's Grocery
Wilson's Fish Store
Dick's Telephone Kitchen
Regent Theatre
Malone's Grocery
Robichaud's Grocery
The Forum
Dave's Restaurant...before it was Graham's
Hickson's Restaurant
Aranoff's Second Hand Store
Hoffman's Department Store
Driscoll's Drugs
Dominion Store...the first one was next door to Hoffman's
The Saint John Library...where the Bank of Nova Scotia is now
Garvin's Funeral Home
Cash & Carry Dry Cleaning

I'm old LOL

vairscove
03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
You can't be too old with a memory like that. LOL I sure do remember some of these as well but not all of them.

The_Dave
03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Graham's restaurant, hmmmmmmmmmmm great food, we used to go there all the time for our sports banquets.

devils_angel
04-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I went to St. pete's not when all of you did but I attended sept 1986 - june 1992 and there are some things that I remember being there , things that I remember doing...of course the all girls building was closed by then but it was still standing when I went there, I climbed the rock walls of forte howe, I remember the stairs ( may not be the same ones but I think they are ), I am not very old but it does bring back alot of memories

HitByABus
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Taffy Tom's
Watts Hardware
Titus Bakery
O'Keefe's Grocery
Wilson's Fish Store
Dick's Telephone Kitchen
Regent Theatre
Malone's Grocery
Robichaud's Grocery
The Forum
Dave's Restaurant...before it was Graham's
Hickson's Restaurant
Aranoff's Second Hand Store
Hoffman's Department Store
Driscoll's Drugs
Dominion Store...the first one was next door to Hoffman's
The Saint John Library...where the Bank of Nova Scotia is now
Garvin's Funeral Home
Cash & Carry Dry Cleaning

I'm old LOL
My Grandparents and then my Parents ran Robichauds Grocery..Hmmm wonder if we know each other....I remember all these places plus the dances at St. Peters Rec do you remember them on Friday Nights?

Crystalbeach
04-04-2007, 07:19 AM
I sure do remember them...I also remember when Tommy Farris used to deliver groceries for the store.

TrueLine
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I remember the Fri nite dances @ St Petes rec, also bowling down in the basement. My upstairs neighbour on Murray St were also Robichauds. I'll ask my mom thier names..I think they had a grandson named Jackie.

HitByABus
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I remember the Fri nite dances @ St Petes rec, also bowling down in the basement. My upstairs neighbour on Murray St were also Robichauds. I'll ask my mom thier names..I think they had a grandson named Jackie.

Yes I remember a Jackie Robichaud who lived on cornor of main and Cedar I think, I think he was killed in a car accident years ago.

cookie0864
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I am just wondering about one of the places that you have in your list of memories Garvins Funeral Home in all my research I have never seen this name before can anyone tell me anything about it?? thanks

Crystalbeach
05-07-2007, 06:40 AM
It was located at the top of Main Street ..three or four doors down from the corner of Adelaide..I think it was next door to the dry cleaners..."Cash & Carry" if I remember right.

Suzanne
05-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Jackies Fish & Chips ........best clams & chips around

I went to St. Pete's School but it was later 1962

Crystalbeach
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I loved Jackie's Fish & Chips..
actually further to the question about Garvin's Funeral Home..it was first located at the very bottom of Main Street..next door to Aranoff's Second Hand Store..they may have moved when they started building the viaduct.

fantasy
05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I remember a restaurant in the west side,it was in a plaza beside the big baptist church.All the seats were taken from cars.Really neat.But can`t remember the name of the place,or if its still around.

freddy
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I think your talking about the mechanics kitchen....

fantasy
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
hmmmm maybe,thats the name.Is it still there?

freddy
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
No, It hasn't been there in at least 15-20 years. I remember my dad taking me there for breakfast.....It was probably in the early 80's

fantasy
05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah the year is about right.That place was cool.It was a very unique idea to use real car seats.I ate in there many times too with my parents.

fantasy
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh just thought of another place.This is wayyy back.It was a large department store.What is standing there now is brunswick square.My grandmother worked in this old department store(can`t remember the name),anyway i was told by her that a child was also killed there.

Crystalbeach
05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
That was MRA's (Manchester, Robertson, Allison)
and yes there was a child murdered there..
and the restaurant that was Mechanic's Kitchen is still there..it's called AJ's now I think ..same food etc but the car seats and car decorations are not there any more.

HitByABus
05-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes Garvins Funeral Home was on Main Street just across from Jackies Fish and Chips......I remember Mrs Garvin she ran the funeral home and she was an elegant loooking woman but they used to have a name for her something like the Lady in Black or the Lady Embalm...I remember that used to give me the Willies. I think I was in there once to visit a Mr. McIntyre that passed away as his daughters went to school with us. I think he was a Manager of the Dominion Store where the Fairview Plaza is now. He had like 5 very pretty girls and the mother was very pretty too. We used to skate at the old rink called the Foreum before the Beaverbrook
Rink was built. And I remember something about Lord Beaverbook was there when they opened the rink and all the schools got to go and we had no school that day. I also remember Father Keogh from St. Peters Church he was a mean bugger....lol. He made me say 10 extra Hail Marys for laughing in church with my cousin Beverly while waiting for confession. How did i know that he was peeking out of the purple velvet crapes....lol OMG I am sitting laughing thinking back.....What Fun!!!

vairscove
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I loved Jackie's Fish & Chips..
actually further to the question about Garvin's Funeral Home..it was first located at the very bottom of Main Street..next door to Aranoff's Second Hand Store..they may have moved when they started building the viaduct.

I believe the Funeral Home you mentioned in this location was O'Neil Funeral Home. My Cousin's funeral was held from there many years ago.
Garvin's was up the street a bit farther.

Crystalbeach
05-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Yes Garvins Funeral Home was on Main Street just across from Jackies Fish and Chips......I remember Mrs Garvin she ran the funeral home and she was an elegant loooking woman but they used to have a name for her something like the Lady in Black or the Lady Embalm...I remember that used to give me the Willies. I think I was in there once to visit a Mr. McIntyre that passed away as his daughters went to school with us. I think he was a Manager of the Dominion Store where the Fairview Plaza is now. He had like 5 very pretty girls and the mother was very pretty too. We used to skate at the old rink called the Foreum before the Beaverbrook
Rink was built. And I remember something about Lord Beaverbook was there when they opened the rink and all the schools got to go and we had no school that day. I also remember Father Keogh from St. Peters Church he was a mean bugger....lol. He made me say 10 extra Hail Marys for laughing in church with my cousin Beverly while waiting for confession. How did i know that he was peeking out of the purple velvet crapes....lol OMG I am sitting laughing thinking back.....What Fun!!!

Yep..you've got a great memory..
the man you are talking about was Paul McIntyre..his wife's name was Pat..
do you remember when the Forum burned?
and I was there too when we got school off to see Lord Beaverbrook offically open the rink.

and yes Fr. Keogh was one scary bugger wasn't he?

fantasy
05-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes thats the name.thanks.My gran worked there for years as a cashier.She told me the story of the murdered child.If i remember correctly,she was killed by an employee stock boy.terrible thing.

HitByABus
05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Yep..you've got a great memory..
the man you are talking about was Paul McIntyre..his wife's name was Pat..
do you remember when the Forum burned?
and I was there too when we got school off to see Lord Beaverbrook offically open the rink.

and yes Fr. Keogh was one scary bugger wasn't he?

Yes I remember when the forum burned.......Geee....maybe we know each other....I used to hang around Tammy Marks Sis Kiervin Beverly Lockhart Paula Marie McIntyre.......A Lot of Great Memories.....Hit

HitByABus
05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
That was MRA's (Manchester, Robertson, Allison)
and yes there was a child murdered there..
and the restaurant that was Mechanic's Kitchen is still there..it's called AJ's now I think ..same food etc but the car seats and car decorations are not there any more.

Omg I have a funny story about MRA'S.......I used to go there as a kid and do you remember the little woman that ran the elevators.....lol
Well years later we started trailering at Wallys in the Narrows and we are sitting there talking about the old days and this lady said Oh I worked at MRA'S.......and I said omg you were the little lady that always wore a skirt and jacket that ran the elevators......She said yes that was her .......My first clue was that she is like 4 foot 1in.....I asked her if she had a hard time reaching the buttons....lol I think I may have had a few that night but it fun.......Everyone laughed and had a great time.

Crystalbeach
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I grew up at the foot of Portland Street..my first memories are of the vats next door to us that belonged to McCready's Pickle Factory...
I remember climbing the stairs to the vats..well I won't tell you the rest..and I can recall in the early fall when they started making chow chow and they would round up any available body to help make the pickles...

cookie0864
05-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I wonder why it is there is never a mention of Garvins funeral home lol Is there some terrible thing about it . And you have definatly peeked my interest on the mra story anything you can remember my grandparents shopped there until it closed and my mom worked there for a while but they never told me anything lol.

Crystalbeach
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Nope there isn't anything bad about Garvin's ..the people who ran it were very nice..(in my day their name wasn't Garvin but I can't recall what it was)
they had a daughter who was very attractive..she only had one hand..

HitByABus
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Nope there isn't anything bad about Garvin's ..the people who ran it were very nice..(in my day their name wasn't Garvin but I can't recall what it was)
they had a daughter who was very attractive..she only had one hand..

Yes I remember the daughter as well she was very tall and very attractive and she had one hand and the other was kind of little maybe only to the elbow. Mrs Garvin was also very attractive for an ole gal...lol. I dont know why but I am thinking that the Garvin Daughter is married to John Doyle from Brennans. Don't ask me why I think that but that is what I am thinking. No there was nothing bad about Garvins just that us at that age it was kind of creepy knowing that there were dead bodies on display in that house.....Just being kids I guess. You know I cant believe no one mentioned the Train Station which was an awesome place. Just sort of reminded me of the old movies from years ago in all their glory.

scribble
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
great to see all of the posts for this area and St. Peters school, etc. While I lived in the Rifle Range, I have collected hundreds of photos of the Old North End.

redrose
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I had Sister Theresa in Grade One too. In fact my mother and my two younger sisters also had her as a teacher. I believe she taught Grade One at St. Peter's for at least 40 years.

major
05-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I remember the old train station. I was very young at the time but when you walked in it it reminds one of the old movies of long ago. Very beautiful. Does anyone remember any Campbell's from the rifle range? I have a picture of myself and my mother back in the 50's with me walking along the rock wall in front of st. peters church. I also got my first credit card from MRA's when I was in high school. First mistake of my life hahahha

Bluejeans
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
My father & his siblings grew up on Chesley Drive and went to St. Peters School. They were Burke's. The boys all became bakers. Their father (Alexander) was killed at the port in the CPR yard in west Saint John, a container fell on him and he died from complications a few days later. My dad almost drowned off the wharf one day. They had cousins in the area too. One boy drowned while at a lake somewhere in NB. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may remember them.

I grew up in the north end as well.We lived on Durham & Metcalf. I went to Alexandra School & for a short while Lorne. I have always considered north home although I have not lived there for many years.

These are some of the things I remember about the North end:

Welsford's Drug store ( Had the soda fountain and the best ice cream I ever tasted)
The Forum ( the best place for sliding in winter)
Jackies Fish & Chips - best take out fish & chips
Climbing on the rocks of Fort Howe
School yard games at Alexandra School
Corner store in Indiantown near the stairs ( can't remember the name)
Long summer days at the Shams
Soccer baseball in the Main Street Baptist Church yard
Fireworks in the summer watched from lawn chairs lined across Metcalf Street
Olivers Grocery Store (corner of Durham & Metcalf)
Girl Guides at St Lukes Church
Sliding on Metcalf hill after a snowstorm
Baseball games in St Peter's ball park in the summer

Great memories.

greypup
06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
My Mom and Dad :biggrin:

greypup
06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes I remember when the forum burned.......Geee....maybe we know each other....I used to hang around Tammy Marks Sis Kiervin Beverly Lockhart Paula Marie McIntyre.......A Lot of Great Memories.....Hit

I know who Tammy is, hung around Sis but cannot recall the other names you mention.

scribe
06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
wow, it was fun reading all these posts about the north end. I had an uncle on Murray St - Thorne, a painter. I remember parts of the old cemetery on Magazine Street. Many of the places and businesses which are mentioned are in a book at the library called Saint John's North End, by Wright. The book is almost impossible to find now even on ebay.

major
07-03-2007, 08:40 PM
My dad was a house painter for Gordon Hughes when we lived on Murry St.

missy311
07-05-2007, 06:05 PM
I remember a restaurant in the west side,it was in a plaza beside the big baptist church.All the seats were taken from cars.Really neat.But can`t remember the name of the place,or if its still around.
Would that place have been Reid's Diner where Tim Horton/Wendys is at Simm's Corner????

missy311
07-05-2007, 06:28 PM
My dad was a house painter for Gordon Hughes when we lived on Murry St.
Hey I am a Murray Street brat. We lived two houses up from the store there then in mid 60's moved right next door into the old Allan house until all the houses were expropriated for the bridge. Anyone remember Hardings? The Kingston's had the big house on the top end of the street by the vacant lot. Our mayor is married to one of the girls.

Crystalbeach
07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Great memories all!!
Tammy Marks was my first cousin...she died a few years ago..

ShinyGuy
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
does anyone remember where Robichaud's Grocery was located ?

and the corner store located by the stairs on main i remember as ponchos thats what we called it anyway.

HitByABus
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Great memories all!!
Tammy Marks was my first cousin...she died a few years ago..

Oh I know she was such a sweetheart. Sis and I went to the funeral home when Tammy passed. Omg it brings a smile to my face everytime I think of Tammy.....I hear her laughter and she had such a twinkle in her eyes...Such a loss. Anyways lots of great memories on this site. Does anyone remember the Taffy Apples that Barbara Robichaud used to sell.....They were the best! Seems like people came from everywhere for Moms Taffy Apples...

HitByABus
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
does anyone remember where Robichaud's Grocery was located ?

and the corner store located by the stairs on main i remember as ponchos thats what we called it anyway.

Robichauds Grocery was at 25 Main Street....Barb worked there. Everyone loved Barb......

Yes Ponchos and do you remember Mary who worked there? Poncho used to crack me up.....

ShinyGuy
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
yes its the same store i hung around as a kid and teenager yes we all loved barb her husband lawerance they had a bunch of kids i remember larry,lois,john,paul,lynn i think a couple more not sure of names. i loved that place played pinball everyday there i grew up around the corner on bridge street i loved it there but times have changed its not like it use to be. does anyone remember shorts take out on bride street i hung around there too.yes the taffy apples were great i loved getting them on halloween.

HitByABus
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
yes its the same store i hung around as a kid and teenager yes we all loved barb her husband lawerance they had a bunch of kids i remember larry,lois,john,paul,lynn i think a couple more not sure of names. i loved that place played pinball everyday there i grew up around the corner on bridge street i loved it there but times have changed its not like it use to be. does anyone remember shorts take out on bride street i hung around there too.yes the taffy apples were great i loved getting them on halloween.

Yes I remember Shorts Take Out...Joan Short was the owner of that restaurant....I actually met Joan one day at Walmart not to long ago and we chatted, my where have all the years gone? But it is nice to bump into old friends every now and then. Joan is a very nice lady....always was.

redrose
07-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I was in Saint John last week and took the opportunity to check out the location of these two firms in the Saint John City Directories found at the public library there.

Here are the results:
O'Neills Funeral Service at 669 Main Street so they would have been close to Arnoff's etc. I attended my grandfather's funeral from there in 1951 and we lived not far away at 556 Main Street so I was quite sure of that one.

In 1947 Garvin's was located at 47 Claredon Street ... near Saint Peter's Church and in 1950 the Directory showed their location as 257 Main Street which would have been close to the Main Street Baptist Church.

Also I remember a Robichaud's Grocery Store on Simonds Street...possibly the corner of Simond and High from when we lived on Simonds Street. Malone's grocery was on the other side of Simonds Street.

May I add that the Saint John City Directories found upstairs in the Genealogy section of the Saint John City library are useful in finding the addresses of companies as well as individuals living in Saint John and copies of the Directories from 1800 up to around 2000 are kept there.

major
09-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Does anyone who lived on Murray Street remember a girl named Jannine Cormier? It would be around 1950 to 1957 or so.

brjames
09-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I Think the name you are referring to is The Mechanics Kitchen!!!!!!!!!Reids Diner was at Simms Corner

Annie55
09-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know the Wilsons that lived around Portland Street in the 1950's? Kids then that played with the Wilson children?
thanks
Ann

Crystalbeach
10-19-2007, 08:13 AM
I lived on Portland Street then but I can't remember any Wilsons..of course I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday LOL..

RobertsCourt
12-14-2007, 05:34 PM
This is a great site. Many of us, I imagine, feel nostalgic about Saint John, though many of us are happy where we wound up. Some of these names of people and places I haven’t thought about for 40 years. I was born in Roberts Court in ’56, then Beaverbrook Avenue. I went to St. Pete’s grades 5 thru 9.
Now, I have two items that I am hoping someone can help me with:
1. Does anyone know or remember Mary Patterson? She attended St. Peter’s; her grade 9 would have been 1969-70 I think? I want to send her an email, if anyone can help facilitate that, please let me know. I think she lived over near Rockland Road.
2. Dufferin School put on “Alice in Wonderland” in ’67, maybe ’68, not sure – does anyone remember that? Does anyone have any pics of that? Our St. Pete’s choir had a part in the play.
Paul O’Neil
Vancouver, BC

commkathy
01-26-2008, 04:29 AM
My Mom went to Saint Peters, her name was Kay O'Connor, does anyone remember her. She was born in 1945.

commkathy
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
My Mom went to Saint Peters, her name was Kay O'Connor, does anyone remember her. She was born in 1945.

My mistake, she would have been Kay Holmes back then, and had three brothers. Alfred, Donnie and Peter.

Annie55
01-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Does any one remember that? We are from Kingston and our treat would be to go there and watch the movies.
My husband used to get a 50 cents allowance and that would get you in, a tub of popcorn and a cup of pop. One week was horror movie, the next week, maybe Abbott and Costello
It was always full of families..

redrose
01-28-2008, 05:35 AM
That was Jim Flynn's Tailor Shop on Main Street.