PDA

View Full Version : installing problems

JNE1994
02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
My daughter is a HUGE sims game fan, and we uninstalled everything on the computer, to give our computer a fresh start.

We were only going to reinstall the things that we used, to save space on our computer.

I put in her sims game, (Sims 2) and it goes to "insert disk 2" and once you insert disk 2, its done. It freezes and you have to restart.
We haven't been able to get her Sims 2 completely installed so she hasn't been able to install them again!
And sometimes it'll keep going when you insert disk 2. But when it asks to insert disk 3, then it freezes there.
It hasn't gone any farther than disk 3.
And theres only 4 disks.
All the disks are completely clean with no scratches.

Could someone help me get these fully installed?
Because another reason why we uninstalled everything else was because, when she tried to install her Nightlife Expansion Pack for sims 2, it was freezing again.

So, could someone help?!?!

Thanks,
Jenna.

JNE1994
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I try atleast 5 times a day to install this, to make sure its not just my computer having a bad day.
I'm going to try again, I'll post whether I have success at this or not. :):P

JNE1994
02-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I tried again.
Once again frozen when i inserted disk 2.
At 23%.......

JIm C.
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Could be your cdrom is dirty

if this is Henry's wife...

I can drop over before darts on Thursday

and see what I can do.. cd rom may just need a cleaning..

JNE1994
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure who Henry or his wife is =S
:P Wrong person?

I am not exactly sure how to clean out the tower or the cdrom?
How do you clean the cdrom

SaskSask
02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Try installing it in safe mode?
If not in safe mode...have you disabled your virus scanner? While trying to install.

JIm C.
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
CDrom you can get a cleaner

But a friend of mine has the exact same problem with his daughters

simms game... did a fresh install and it won't re-install

if you could borrow a friend rom unit and tryit that way

make sure the disk is clean I had games not install all

because of a finger print...

you can clean the cdrom manually not reccommended unless syou know what you're doing

or get a cd rom cleaner..

I actually havea professional series one here that I use...

anyway try that and go form there...

some newer games al require you have a certain update in order to

install such as microsoft net.

hope this helps you out have a great day...

if you get stuck call me 657-5560

I sometimes use an external usb adapter when I come across a

computer that the cdrom is fussy

Godfather
02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
you know Jim I was thinking of something else that happened to me in a similiar scenario, I uninstalled a game through the add/remove programs, under details it told me some files could not be removed, I didnt think anything of it and went to re-install the game again and whammo, froze and prevented installation. I went to the directory and removed the folder and sub-folders including anything else related to the game, then tried a re-install and worked like a charm.

Pat.

paak
03-02-2007, 07:19 AM
I would suggest reinstalling all the drivers for the computer first, and DirectX, you may very well be missing some system files needed.

Actually, a complete reinstall of the OS would most likely be the best route, then you are certain that you are getting a fresh start ;)

Goin4Coffee
03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
I'd just fire it in the dishwasher:p

Godfather
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Software can be difficult to troubleshoot cause at times it could be intermittent, and those are the worst ones, completely unpredictable. The only other thing that I despise is not being able to install a software package and not being able to find a solution even after having tried several avenues of attack.

Nail
03-02-2007, 11:43 AM
If you just deleted & uninstalled a bunch of programs, you're goingto want to do a Defrag. This will likely take up to an hour to finish. Aside from a complete format, thats the best way to start over.

Godfather
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
If you just deleted & uninstalled a bunch of programs, you're goingto want to do a Defrag. This will likely take up to an hour to finish. Aside from a complete format, thats the best way to start over.

Problem with that when you un-installed programs and are trying to install new ones is defrag won't if files are missing which causes the system to freeze or preventing a piece of software from being installed which is the case at the moment with the above person whose trying to install the sims.

Pat.