PDA

View Full Version : Fever

Lisa_morris
02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
I kept my daughter home from school today because she woke up at 5am crying that her head hurt. Later on that morning I went to touch her face and realized she was burning up, I took her temp and it was 102 than after I gave her advil it went to 103. Ive been giving her Advil every 4 hours and had had it back down to 102 but now it is up to 104. My moms friends little guys had had the same fever this week end and they had brought them to the outdoor. I guess its going around, the doctor told them to give them advil then 3 hours later tylenol. Im just wondering if there are any other ways to help bring down a fever, because the medicine just isnt helping.

Cherry Pop
02-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I know when I was little and had a bad fever at a camp my mom was working at, the nurse there put me in a bath of cold water. Maybe you should call telecare because that was years ago and I'm not sure if that would be recommended now a days.

care1978
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
firt off make sure you are giving her the proper dose according to her weight, i made that mistake with my son a while back, i couldnt figure out why his fever wasnt breaking so i called telecare and they told me that i should have been giving him an extra half a teaspoon because of his size, i did and sure enough the fever broke! you also may want to try putting her in a luke warm tub, i guess you arent supposed to put children in "cool baths" because it can put them in shock if their temp is too high... not sure if you have the number or not to telecare but it is 1-800-244-8353.
hope your little one is feeling better, did she start off with a runny nose by chance because my little guy has one the last day or two.... just wondering if it is a sign of what seems to be going around. good luck!

Lisa_morris
02-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Shes had no other signs that she was sick before the fever except the headache. Im waiting for her to make up now so I can take her temp. I took a cool cloth and washed her down before I went to bed. The poor thing just feels so hot.

amethyst
02-27-2007, 04:56 AM
My 10 year old has the exact same thing. His fever went up to 104 yesterday...MAJOR headache..it's 102 right now..and his nose is starting to run..so i think its breaking through. I'm keeping him home again today.
I just keep giving tylenol and cool compresses. Don't put her in a cold/cool bath to bring it down. Just keep doing what your doing.

THis is the SECOND time he's had this.:(

Lisa_morris
02-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I guess its going around. I feel so bad for her, she is upset that Im keeping her home again. Ive barely been able to sleep because Im so nervous her fever is going to spike again. Im waiting for her to wake up so I can take her temp again. Im hoping its gone down.

amethyst
02-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Hopefully it's come down some. Mine is happy he's staying home again lol. He seems more lively today though. No headache. Just a runny nose and fever.

westsider
02-27-2007, 05:42 AM
my son stayed home yesterday because of a fever too, and he just woke up saying he's hot, and sure enough, he still has a temp. Headaches are pretty common with viruses and fevers, but just watch for a stiff neck.... that could mean meningitis (sorry bout the spelling). That is what a doctor told me anyway a few months back when we had a little scare with my son. Everything turned out fine though.
Good luck with your sick ones everyone and I really hope they feel better soon, it sucks to be sick! :(

Lisa_morris
02-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I just took her temp and its down to 101, which is a big improvement. If it went higher than 104 I was going to take her to the hospital. She seems better today and is actually eating. Now Im just hoping my youngest doesnt get it, she already has a bad enough temper.

ChelorSean
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
well my little guy didn't have a headach or anything like that,that i knew of but he did have a fever i don't think as high as your children did but i thought he just had a cold and it started to go away but then it came back and i seen the poor little guy drop to the floor from coughing.i took him in to the clinic and he has a chest infection and i guess its going around so just keep your eye open for that cause its horrible listening to your little ones like that

Goin4Coffee
02-27-2007, 09:27 AM
We are having the same issues here,, 2nd time..different virus..(last one he was home for a week..then 1 week okay. Didnt send him this week yet, and won't be by the looks of it.
Found out that Advil wasnt actually helping the fever,103.5, Dr even asked about it.. so he's back on Tylenol.. took the fever down pretty fast,, along with lots of fluids..not just water.cool cloths & freezies & popsicles. Ive heard that the clinics & outdoor are very busy,,and the Drs are wearing masks.. schools are seeing the numbers for attendance drop.. ours anyway.. and I heard PEI this morning 1/2 the kids are Home..!!

There is also a bad stomach virus going around...:( he's been complaining ...but so far we've managed to keep it calmed. parents stalk up on tylenol,pepto, kleexex, t/p..freezies etc..keep them from dehydrating..:(

Oldest guy is fighting his but.. I can see it beating him..

Good Luck folks we are not alone...;)

MrsBeasley
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Using rubbing alcohol on the bottoms of the feet will also help bring the fever down.

care1978
02-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Using rubbing alcohol on the bottoms of the feet will also help bring the fever down.
Really? i never heard of that, have you tried this? does it actually work, or just an old wives tale? pretty cool if it does actually work :)

Lisa_morris
02-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I of my friends told me to put alcohol in the tub. I still havent tried it. I been keeping the fluids to her, freezies, gatorade, water, and juice and rubbing her down with a cool cloth. Im 61/2 months pregnant with kidney problems I really hope I dont get it. She still has the fever but it isnt as high and she seems to be feeling much better.

jxdburk
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
My kids have been sick with a bad cold that doesn't want to go away,no fever yet!!
But my son who is in gr.2 brought home a note from school saying that if your child isn't feeling not to send them to scholl as there has been 2 cases of Scarlet fever in the school !!
So everyone keep a close eye on your kids !!!
As a parent theres nothing worse then seeing your kids sick !!!
Hope everyones kids get better soon !!!!

LiLLY
02-27-2007, 10:33 AM
My daughter is sick as well. she was throwing up yesterday they said it was a stomach flu to give her gravol she hasn't thrown up but now she has diahrea! no fever yet.

babydoll101
02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
My oldest daughter got a note home as well saying that a huge percentage of students are absent. Everyone in my house is sick except her. My son has also had a temp. and a severe cold and runny nose. My youngest daughter is also sick as well as me. It is awful..

michp
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
FYI...Alcohol is not recommended...
"Alcohol rubs are a bad idea as it is scary and uncomfortable, and can cause serious side effects in young infants. Alcohol rubs make kids shiver, which is the body's way to generate large amounts of heat, the last thing you want to do if your child has a fever. Instead sponge the child down in the tub with lukewarm water for a few minutes - but careful not to allow the child to get cold enough to shiver. Also a child should not be bundled up, as it will make him hotter and can raise the temperature of young infants." (http://www.jrussellshealth.com/fever.html) Just one of many websites I found recommending not to use alcohol.

QuispamsisHome
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
That's right, don't use alcohol...a lukewarm bath is fine but not for very long. If the child starts to shiver it will raise the temp more. It is very important not to bundle with blankets or warm flannell p.j's. Wiping forehead, neck, arms with a cool cloth and keeping a cool cloth on the forehead helps.

Keep Advil or Tylenol in your child to keep the temp down and very important to keep sipping on fluids to prevent dehydration. Water, powerade, gatorade, flat clear pop (not dark pop), juice, popsicles, freezies...stay away from milk products. Water is the most important...kids should be sipping almost continuously because their bodies are smaller and they can become dehydrated much quicker than adults.....The dosage on the label for Tylenol and Advil is a wide range and it goes by # of mg's per every kg of body weight. Many times a childs temp may not decrease using the req. amount. ...."Ask your Dr. the right dose for your child or Call Telecare 1-800-244-8353" (have your childs weight on hand)

The "True Flu" is now circulating in Saint John. It starts "immediately" with .....a high fever, bad headache, chills, heavy chest (cough) and body aches, you feel like you got run over by a truck. (There are no sinus symptoms leading up to the flu )

The "Common cold" has also been going around for a while which does not produce a fever unless it goes into an infection after a few days. It has such symptoms as...runny nose, stuffy nose, sore throat, cough, mild headache. If a fever develops after a few days, you may have developed a bacterial infection in which you then need an antibiotic.

The "Norwalk-like Virus" has also hit Saint John over the past few months. It seems to be lessening recently. It has such symptoms as...nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, poor appetite, fever. It is caused by an intestinal virus.

I hope that this helps...it is difficult to know what is the flu and what is just a cold. In any case, whatever it is, the most important thing is to keep the fever down and to keep the little ones hydrated with fluids. You should always seek the advice of your doctor if you are unsure about your childs condition.

HANDWASHING is the #1 way to prevent the spread of infection.
Good Luck to everyone...Hopefuly the March break will do everyone good!!