PDA

View Full Version : i need free parts for a computer please they can be broken

masterflex1
02-17-2007, 09:23 PM
hi im looking for moniters towers keyboards mouses tower parts anything thank yu they can be broken

masterflex1
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Bump

paak
02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Why do you need more than one?

*never mind...and you are welcome :-)

masterflex1
02-20-2007, 08:30 PM

morbidterrors
02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
not trying to be ignorant but did paak not just give you a computer for free?

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 07:15 AM
yes he did but that ones for school and i cant really use it for internet and im venturars and i want to build a computer so i can get the badge and when i go to college to get tech i will know.

Freudian
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Excuse my ignorance as well. I am interested to know what * Venturars * is? I assume it is some sort of group of people who do things, but more details please.

If you need to 'build' a computer, you could just fully dissasemble the one you got from Paak and put it all back together. Best way to learn. What's really fun is once you've taken Electronics in college and then look at the motherboard and various other components of a computer system and you can identify all the little electronic devices on the board, etc and acutally know how they work and why they're there. Very enlightening and fun!

\yes he did but that ones for school and i cant really use it for internet and im venturars and i want to build a computer so i can get the badge and when i go to college to get tech i will know.

Dan_Man
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
yes he did but that ones for school and i cant really use it for internet and im venturars and i want to build a computer so i can get the badge and when i go to college to get tech i will know.

badge? to get tech i will know?

Anyways, I thought you got a computer from paak...

Freudian is right, taking apart a computer is fun and you learn a lot :)

JIm C.
02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
That's how I got started working on them purchased a small computer...

I think it was a 286... I used to try to screw it up on purpose and

try to get back software wise...

then I killed it hardware wise....and went from there never looked back

I remember one of the first computers I was playing with

timex sinclair 45 minutes to type in a dos program no such things

as windows back then we thought it was great simple little games

going through a path of X's and O's and the ship was an upside down V

we thought it was world's greatest game back them..lol...

I also worked part time in a computer shop...

learned quite a bit there.. at the end of it I was better than the

certified tech who owned the business...

lordstang
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I started out in a class were the instructor said here is a pc, here is a screw driver, have fun,....lol

i have parts i could sell you...pm me

paak
02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I gave a 486 laptop to the young fella...not really something for him to 'tear apart' lol...I know a few certified techs that don't even want to open a laptop...

*IF* I had a small 486/pentium computer tower, I would help ya out again...but sadly I don't...

JIm C.
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
You could always go dumpster driving ...

computer shops often throw out older broken computers...

Or even go ask one of the local shops tell them

what you're doing they might have something kicking around...

Never hurts to ask.....

lordstang
02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
The one over lower west had like 30 towers outside the other day, they all went to the dump...they have a few out there every other day. I would check the trash bins to.

Godfather
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Model III Trs-80 is the first system I ever used way back when.

I had 3 tons of computer parts but they are all at the junkyard now, nothing left at home. Sorry.

However I do have a couple motherboards, cpu's, memory sticks, ethernet card, modem card and Monitor left over, they are in a thread here for sale, all negotiable.

Pat.

sunnyd
02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
I have an old 166 or maybe slightly higher not 100% sure but i do know that it takes the old 72 pin ram (which I have also ) Your welcome to it....But you have to come get it.....I'll even throw in a keyboard and mouse....just dont forget me when you open your own shop...(kidding) Just come and get it.

chaisson9088
02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
i have a compac p2 desktop , in parts if u intrested

TrueLine
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I'd like to know where Jim worked. Pretty bad when the part time guy ends up knowing more than the tech/owner..lol.

JIm C.
02-21-2007, 05:19 PM
TrueLine sent you a PM it should explain your question......

If this was a personal attack towards me........I'm not impressed

It's a all a matter of keeping up to date on new technology

O/S Alot of my friends were into building computer before I was

Now they come to me even though they were the ones

doing it before me.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous weapon.

Godfather
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree Jim, Sometimes just reading a blog or a forum or even opening a book (which I rarely do now since the internet is far more resourceful) part of what I know is self-taught, even Fish & I or Lordstang & I sit down to talk about the pc's we've built and the setups we've done. Even though I don't much of it today, I still enjoy knowing as much as possible. Kudos to you for the knowledge you know now. It will always come in handy later on including the present.

Pat.

TrueLine
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Certainly not a personal attack. Way to much of that foolishness on the web now.
Thought your post was funny..picturing the frazzeled buisness owner secretly letting the part time kid handle the sticky jobs.

PM'd you too Jim..saw your PM before this post.
All I can say now is "rock on computer dude"
PS stay in the the learning curve..looks like Vista might give you all you want and more!

randal
02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
paak tells me this is a young fella maybe 12 years old. i have to admit when i first saw his ads they sort of rubbed me the wrong way. after talking with paak last night and getting him to help me i readjusted my thoughts towards this young fella and would like to praise him for his initiative and foresight into the future. he maybe should mention his age and he might find some more help out in this cyberspace. i know i am looking around to see what i can donate towards the cause of someone trying to better themselves. i am 49 years old and had never really touched a computer until 1.5 years ago. people like jim,bob,gord, bill,bill,ron and they know who they are have been so helpful and full of knowledge it has been a pleasure meeting them all and i would be lost without some of the things they have taught me

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
paak and randal you might wanna grab something as i say this but i look like im 12 but im really 15 turning 16 in november :o

Godfather
02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Happy early birthday young feller :) If I come across anything that I think might help you, I'll be happy to donate it to help you further a possible future knowledge and career. sthe first system i tore apart was a Tandy 1000HX from Radio Shack. I had a ton of books like pc world, 3-4 years of it and I threw it out. Alright enough of what I threw out, I'll keep and eye out for anything that would help ya.

Pat.

paak
02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
dunno if I said "12" specifically...lol...but certainly young-er :-)

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
but im older ;(
lol

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
paak gotta nice 50" moniter i wish i could get my hands on :)

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 07:16 PM
people are sayin that the laptop is crap cuz it has 513mb of mem and runs 95
but i keep sayin its free gold to me. :-)

Godfather
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Whose saying that the laptop is crap anyways ?

Also remember, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, the only thing that matters is what YOU think. Let people talk, in a couple years, after all you have learned, you will be the one enjoying yourself with your new found computer knowledge. Enjoy my friend.

Pat.

-=coppertop=-
02-21-2007, 08:14 PM
yea dude, hit me up, ive got a crap load of P2 400's you can have ... nice lil machines

Godfather
02-21-2007, 08:20 PM
There ya go masterflex1. Another gentleman with some items, that's great Coppertop. The more the merrier.

Pat.

sunnyd
02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Ya got my vote...In the name of education.........Always good to see someone bettering themselves

lordstang
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM
i'll drop that stuff off when i get a chance, no worries bud, happy trails and best of luck learning your stuff. I only wish i had started at your age, i might know something by now.....:rofl:

Godfather
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
lordstang, Oh i don't know about that my man, you do know something atleast. I started young too, I was close to 14. I'm happy I know what i know now. Now if only I knew now back when I was 14, I'd be filthy Rich, LOL.

Pat.

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM
hahahaha this is more of a discussion than business :)

masterflex1
02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
:( now it stops :(

-=coppertop=-
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
i dont mind at all, cuz back in the early 90's someone gave me 4 8088's circa 1985 and i ripped them apart so much ... and someone helped me with engines too, so its good karma

JIm C.
02-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Sorry TrueLine.. i'm used to alot of bashing althought I must admit..

it's been 1/2 descent lately...didn't mean to offend/or jump on you too

quick......

Vista.. I'm not going to touch that until service pak 2 comes out

and more drivers for devices..

it's a resource hog... windows xp mininum requirement

300mhz cpu and 128mb just to run it

Vista minimum 2 ghz Pentium 4 and gig of ram for basic.

a 2 gig celeron won't run it

Vista runs best with a 4 gigs of ram 2 gigs will do

but it mostly designed for a dual core cpu and 4 gigs of ram

Vista is actually 15-20% slower than window XP

Vista has some nice features.. but a lot of how we say

pirate issues.. me personally I don't download movies I don't download

music, games, but mind you I like freeware: adware, avg, ewido...

cpu-z, gold memory tester etc.

TrueLine
02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Looks like iSJ needs a tech discussion board.

lordstang
02-22-2007, 12:23 AM
a good program for pc info is AIDA23, this one gives you everything about everything pretty well, i find it's a lil better than cpu-z which i like as well.

lordstang
02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Yah, i know stuff about things just like the next guy....lol....basics and a little deeper....thanxz for the vote of confidence bro, much appreciated....anyone got an "A Plus" book for this lad---> "masterflex1"?

lordstang, Oh i don't know about that my man, you do know something atleast. I started young too, I was close to 14. I'm happy I know what i know now. Now if only I knew now back when I was 14, I'd be filthy Rich, LOL.

Pat.

Godfather
02-22-2007, 02:52 AM
I have the A+ cd which is the authentic one for certifying with, it has the book on it in PDF format I think, I still have it, lemme know if you want to borrow it sometime.

Adam-07
02-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I can take a look around my house I think I might have some old PSUS and possibly 2gb hard drives. Im 17 and started to learn when I was 12, 15 isnt a bad a age to start either. Buidling PCs is now a hobby and playing on linux is great fun when your dealing with old machines, I got a few Ubuntu discs.

paak
02-22-2007, 06:16 AM
people are sayin that the laptop is crap cuz it has 513mb of mem and runs 95
but i keep sayin its free gold to me. :-)

As long as it works for what you need, thats the main thing. Alot of people will go out and spend 2000+ on a computer just to check email and browse the net...

masterflex1
02-22-2007, 07:13 AM
lol i know. hes rite we should have a tech discussion board :)

paak
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
If you truly want to learn, I would suggest starting with Boolean algebra, logic, binary, discrete electronics and assembly language - the real basics. An understanding of math, physics and electronics is essential. You should first have a grasp of what a computer is and how it works. A good tech has a solid(and intuitive) understanding of flowcharting as well(basically its logical steps on how to troubleshoot) and everything else builds upon it. Avoid starting with high-level stuff as it can make it more difficult to grasp the low-level. And DEFINATELY roll up your sleeves and tear sh*t apart LOL - nothing will teach you more faster than just getting dirty ;)

Godfather
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah that is true Paak, When i started learning about pc's, I did Cobol 74 & 85, SQL, Basic, basic A, Basic I, QBasic, C++. I have Calculus, Math, Algebra, Physics, Intro to PC's 1st year and 2nd year. I have a diploma in electronics, diploma in computer programming, certificate in Modern world problems. I understand the 7 different gates in electronics, Binary and Hexadecimal, weak in networking but i have used Novell 3.12. All of these have helped me out. Each and everything you learn will have a tremendous impact on how you understand how a pc functions.

Pat.

CallmasterV
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
hAHAHA Jim thats the first computer i used also the sinclair thought it was the bomb back then owwee how times have changed.

I should try that line guys i have money 3 laptops but i want a desktop for free anyone have one just don't want to waste money on a computer to run a laser printer to share the printer as it is seril port connection lol.

Let the comments begin ROFL

That's how I got started working on them purchased a small computer...

I think it was a 286... I used to try to screw it up on purpose and

try to get back software wise...

then I killed it hardware wise....and went from there never looked back

I remember one of the first computers I was playing with

timex sinclair 45 minutes to type in a dos program no such things

as windows back then we thought it was great simple little games

going through a path of X's and O's and the ship was an upside down V

we thought it was world's greatest game back them..lol...

I also worked part time in a computer shop...

learned quite a bit there.. at the end of it I was better than the

certified tech who owned the business...

Godfather
02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
hAHAHA Jim thats the first computer i used also the sinclair thought it was the bomb back then owwee how times have changed.

I should try that line guys i have money 3 laptops but i want a desktop for free anyone have one just don't want to waste money on a computer to run a laser printer to share the printer as it is seril port connection lol.

Let the comments begin ROFL

Oh crap this isn't a selling thread, its a Looking for free stuff. This discussion won't end :)

Godfather
02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry wanted to add further info, I can call a couple buddies and see if we can get some stuff together to build a couple more systems, low end of course.

TrueLine
02-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I've got an older A+ text. 10 yrs old I think. You're welcome to it m'flex

CallmasterV
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Free computer OMG !!!! I want one need a clunker for my laser printer Serial POrt not USB to run printer for kids to print from.

I have money LOL but sence there giving them free here lol why not ask .

eugeneb
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't know what the big deal is ,if the guy wants old parts so he can learn
then more power to him. Like jim i started with a timex sinclair ,then ti994a
and so on. been learning for the last 23 years, and will most likely never stop learning. i had a bunch of towers i gave away last year and if i had any parts now i would give them to him.

Godfather
02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I have a pc at home that is missing a HDD, I haven't got the specs on it, but this one won't be for free, its a fully loaded system. hard drive died and haven't come across a decent hard drive to put in it. I'm still checking with a couple of my buddies to see what they have that they don't want anymore that will allow me to build another system.

Adam-07
02-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Sorry guess my folks threw out my old computer stuff as they said I have enough junk lying around. (hopefully they dont find my 23 disposable cameras). Good luck with your endeavor.

masterflex1
02-23-2007, 07:00 AM
thanks for trying

admin
02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
This thread was originally in the classifieds section, but with the new Computers & Technology discussion section, it has been copied over to here.