PDA

View Full Version : non-profit housing vs nb housing

mygirls27
02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having a bad experience living in non profit housing? Nothing gets done when you call. It takes months even a yr or more to get something fixed. We had a bad experience with mice, you know what we were told,, THey were coming in through our door LOL .. yes i invite them in for tea and cookies, LOL. I know people who live in nb housing and it seems like things get done when need to be done unlike non profit housing

Luvz_ya
02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I've had a million and one problems since i moved into nb housing ... i have to twist cords together inorder to have HEAT... the paint peels off the walls..all of my windows are painted shut theres just too much to name ...

icedragon
02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having a bad experience living in non profit housing? Nothing gets done when you call. It takes months even a yr or more to get something fixed. We had a bad experience with mice, you know what we were told,, THey were coming in through our door LOL .. yes i invite them in for tea and cookies, LOL. I know people who live in nb housing and it seems like things get done when need to be done unlike non profit housing

Are you giving away tea and cookies? What kind of tea?

mygirls27
02-25-2007, 11:00 AM
lol yea i guess the mice liked it

Rae_Maill
02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I live in nb housing and i have had one prob after another (although most of them were caused by my upstairs neighbours) right now i have a huge hole in my bathroom wall and ceiling that has been there since late september i have called once a week to have it fixed andd no one has even come to see ( and it was their plumber that ripped the wall down) last year it was most of my kitchen ceiling because the ppl upstairs let their washer dump a whole load of water on to the floor. I have almost given up on having them come fix it. It is such a pain in the backside just to have to call and know that they dont' care

babydoll101
02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I have heard the same things. Nb housing isn't that much better. I guess they're too busy with other things!!!

Lisa_morris
02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I live in housing too, and last winter I had no heat for over 24 hours. Me and all my kids got sick. All they ended up having to do was flick a switch. I guess you ake the good with the bad.

Luvz_ya
02-25-2007, 01:25 PM
The only good thing about nb housing is the cheap rent .. when i moved in here there was no fridge and no stove and i had no heat for a few days and it smelt like paint so bad in here i felt high and my windows were painted shut and i called and told them this and they sent someone over a few days later to open my living room and bedroom ones .. my sons window was painted OPEN ... im telling ya.. im getting fed up now my cupboard drawers are falling off.. and the paint jobs are just terrible drips everywheres .. and the cupboards are just so full of paint that they barely open and close lol my washer hook up was busted water went EVERYWHERES .. must i say more

Lisa_morris
02-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I know what you mean about the smell. When I first moved in my mom had to take my two girls because they had just finished putting the crap on the wood floors. Me and my friends were trying to unpack and not to vomit. Our neighbors must have thought we were crazy, we couldnt stop laughing. They had put screws in all my windows so I had to try and find a screwdriver so I could open my windows. At least the rent is cheap.

puppyluv
02-25-2007, 01:37 PM
just a question, and dont shoot me for asking, wouldnt it be safer for you and your children to pay a bit more for safer, better accomodations?

Luvz_ya
02-25-2007, 01:42 PM
i like my appartment whats better then 294 heats and lights included for a 4 bedroom with washer and dryer hook up , and i only have someone under me and beside me ...and i have a clothes line :D never use it though lol im only staying here until my boyfriend buys a house either this summer or next , we are sure if we are staying in nb .. i hope we dont !!

Luvz_ya
02-25-2007, 01:43 PM
it does come with problems but most have been taken care of , nothing to put my kids in harms way though

Rae_Maill
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
nb housing is usually ok. and the buildings are up to code which is a big change from some of the apartments I have lived in. There are going to be problems everywhere.

puppyluv
02-25-2007, 01:55 PM
There are going to be problems everywhere.

You are right. I rented a 2 bedroom apt for aorund a year or so. For the 1st 3 months I didnt get a roomie as the 2nd bedroom had a bucket on the floor for the leak in the roof. And when the fridge went, it took 3 days to get a new one.:(

But all in all, it was a good apt.. Kinda wish I never moved from it at times:rofl:

Lisa_morris
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Before I moved into housing I was paying $550 for a two bedroom. The place was horrible. I had no locks on my door (it was obvious that there was no lock by the hole above my doorknob) my backdoor had no locks either. The stairs had no rail and in the back the stairs were falling apart, the windows were painted shut and molded. It was gross, I went to housing and showed them pictures and got to move into my place the following month. Its not the greatest place to live but at $281 a month and I have a washer and dryer and 4 bedrooms. It will do until I can provide better for my family at least it is up to code.

Rae_Maill
the last apt i was in the toilet was going through the floor and when i told the landlord he put a hand on either side of the tank and it moved back and forth about 2 inches on either side and he said that's fine i don't know what ur problem is. my prob was that when my 3 year old sat to go potty he was almost thrown onto the floor lol btw it was a basement apt so i have no idea how this happened

Cherry Pop
I live in a co-op and don't have any problems with getting things fixed. They take real good care of the apartments here and they are beautiful. They have big nice back yards and everyone looks out for everyone else. It's a great place to live!

Mandi
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I live in a co-op and don't have any problems with getting things fixed. They take real good care of the apartments here and they are beautiful. They have big nice back yards and everyone looks out for everyone else. It's a great place to live!
That does sound like a really nice place to live.

mygirls27
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Non profit housing does have nice apartments too but it's just the slackness of getting things fixed. I was pregnant not too long ago and found out that i had gotten a transfer through housing in July and the place was empty it took them 4 months to paint our place. I had to move in with a week old baby into a smelly painted apartment. When i had called to see what was taking soo long for our place to be done i was told that full market rent apartments were number one prioity and when i called the head guy from housing he said that wasnt true. A few things needed to be done still to my place and ive been living here for 4 months and they havent come yet to fix any of it. Yea its nice to pay cheap rent but you would think since these are government apartments or whatever that things would get done when needed. Where i lived before here it was still non profit housing , since ive moved out 6 other tenants have moved as well cause they were tired of waiting for major things to get fixed. We were always told that they dont have enough employees, well then whats the problem with hiring some more people!!!. The old apartment i was living in needed work as well , now theres a friend of mine living in my old place and when they painted it they never did fix the things that needed fixed. My mother in law lives in NB housing and never has a problem except with her upstairs neighbours. She had a mouse in her place and housing was there that day. What i had a mouse nothing was done. It took having a rat in my house for them to come and do something. And i was pregnant at the time. The thing chewed or scratched at my carpet, even got on top of my table and chewed at my candle. My house is far from dirty but when that thing was in my house i didnt want to live there anymore especially being 8 months pregnant. Finally when my husband killed it, thats when they believed me. and did something about it when the thing was no longer there!!!

Cherry Pop
02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
In my co-op it's the people who get subsidized not the apartments so every apartment gets equal treatment! Our co-op has committees and everyone sits on one. Everyone has equal say. I started out on the membership committee, then went on the board of directors as Treasurer, I'm on sick leave right now. Yes it does mean you have 2 meetings a month to attend but you have voting rights and because everyone is treated equally, things get done and fixed right away. I like living here. I feel very fortunate when I hear stories about landlords or nb housing not fixing things. It's not right to make people pay to live in bad situations.

andrea
02-25-2007, 11:47 PM
i have never lived in nb housing or non orifit
but i did live in a place ran by the guy that looks after all of the nb housing fix ups lol
i was robbed living in his apt,,,cleaned out completly,,(even ate food out of the fridge)
crackheads
booted in my back door,,,and ya kno what he said when i said come fix it?
"u aint got nuffin left for them to steal"
go figure

magoosmomma
02-26-2007, 07:30 AM
i lived in non proft when my middle son was first born..I was paying full market rent ..things just go too crazy there ..and we were gone less than a year after moving in.. for the amount I had to pay I found something alot better without all the craziness

Crystalbeach
02-26-2007, 08:21 AM
First off ..like every other gov't dept they have taken huge budget cuts..
they are only allowed to have so many maintenance workers..and most of their time is spent fixing up tenants' messes for new people to move into..filthy rotten apartments...dog poop stuck onto floors..bathrooms so dirty you would pass out..kitchen cabinets thick with stuck on food etc etc.

They also spend a lot of time doing things that most able bodied people could very well do for themselves.

trinity
02-26-2007, 08:37 AM
That part is true-having once upon a time been a homeowner, I tend to take care of things like clogs, weatherstripping, dripping taps, door hinges, mice etc myself. The only time in two years I have called the landlord was a leaking water shutoff valve, if I had been the owner I would have just gotten a wrench and tried it myself but I had visions of a geyser that would put you to mind of National Lampoon, with me soaking wet holding the broken-off valve in my hand, and I did NOT want to be responsible for that. I figured I would rather have a major plumbing company be responsible for the flood LOL. I'm sure if I had contacted my landlord about any of my these issues, he would have gotten around to most of them, but since I work nights, probably NOT at a time that was convenient for me.

Crystalbeach
02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
[deleted.

Please read your PMs. Click here:
http://www.isaintjohn.com/classifieds/private.php
]

icedragon
02-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I believe there is some unfinished business involving mygirls27 offering free cookies and tea. Will you deliver the cookies and tea?

Mandi
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I believe there is some unfinished business involving mygirls27 offering free cookies and tea. Will you deliver the cookies and tea?

LOL!

Pumpkin
03-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Now I don't understand why anyone is attacking non-profit housing or housing in general. I think you are being quite ungreatful actually. You are lucky to have a place at all. There are many families waiting in need of apartments at low cost and they can't get one. yet, you have one and are complaining about everything you can think of. You are lucky you are not living in a cardboard box!

Also, if you haven't clued in NON PROFIT housing....they do not have the money to hire all kinds of staff to run and fix your every issue as soon as you snap your fingers. They have buildings they have to have looked after, with tenants like yourself. They try and aquire new buildings to open up more units, and when they get them they are required to be fixed up to standards and such. So, No, your not gonna get someone knocking on your door that day or the day after you call. And, if you have ever owned your own home, you would know that money doesn't grow on trees and that when something unexpected happens and you have to call in an "expert" or the "fix it" guys, they are not there that day or the next day either. You usually have to wait. And it's ofcourse llike life, it's like a bank, you stand in line and wait your turn.

And how you can sit there and say my rent is great I only pay $280 some or near there a month for a 4 bedroom apartemnt at that heat and lights included washer dryer, ect, yet this sucks and that sucks...well do you expect to live in a palace for that price? and do you really in all respect think that a NON PROFIT agency is going to have the money and man power to have things done to perfect standars and have the man power to have a fix it man at your door the minute you hang up..No ofcourse not.

Please don't take me for being rude, but I think that you should all count your blessings. You are all lucky to have help at all. Keep complaining and it may not be there for you one day or for when your children grow up. I am sure they are doing their best to get to your issues. But give them a break. THEY are HELPING YOU out. Going out of their way to search for an apartment for you....Would you move into someones house if they offered to help, and start barking orders at them to have things fixed? No, so have some respect. They are HELPING you.

Cartersmom
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
You make a lot of valid points, pumpkin.
I mean, yes, I wouldnt want to live with mice or no heat either, but for $280 a month with 4 bedrooms and a w/d hookup? I think even the Sally Ann men's hostel charges more than that...let's put things in perspective and be grateful there are programs like this, rather then the alternative of paying the "going rate" for a heated 4bdrm ..which would be??? 800? 900? Is it worth a $600 savings per month for you to "endure" your conditions? If so, stay and be grateful. If not, move out and find a suitable place for you!

Mandi
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
You make a lot of valid points, pumpkin.
I mean, yes, I wouldnt want to live with mice or no heat either, but for $280 a month with 4 bedrooms and a w/d hookup? I think even the Sally Ann men's hostel charges more than that...let's put things in perspective and be grateful there are programs like this, rather then the alternative of paying the "going rate" for a heated 4bdrm ..which would be??? 800? 900? Is it worth a $600 savings per month for you to "endure" your conditions? If so, stay and be grateful. If not, move out and find a suitable place for you!
Yeah... I'd love to even FIND an apartment that was 4 bedrooms, would allow pets, and had such 'problems' as painted shut windows ( I own knives! takes, what, 3 seconds?) The sally ann hostel charges less, when my dad left us he paid $30 a week to live there for 2 months.

Lemme_LQQK
03-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Pumpkin/Cartersmom I agree with you 110% !!! I think given the situation if it were me , I would take some of the money I save in rent and deal with the mouse problem myself and be very grateful I wasn't paying a huge rent.
For goodness sake get a CAT heck get 2..lol set traps and bait where pets and kids can't get at them .
I know a woman who doesn't live in housing, it's a really nice heritage apt ,( not saying housing doesn't have nice apts at all) she pays $700.00 a month and the mice are having a field day in her apt, the entire building, you can watch them running around.

My point is it doesn't matter what the rent is , or who owns the building, the mice don't care, they just want to get in where it's warm ,and possibly get something to eat while they're there...lol

Cartersmom
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
yes- and sadly, many landlord don't want to adress the situation, or want to blame the tenant for the problem- we were picture perfect tenants when we had to rent apt's and have always left them better than we moved in. Well the woman upstairs had cats so we were infested with fleas (we had no pets and no fleas prior) and the bug guy tried to tell me it was super rare and that I probably picked them up while walking?!! hello! It was only a 2 unit building and the common hallway was CARPETED! and only a couple feet between apts. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened. I had to wear OFF Deep Woods in my apt for goodness sake! I'm sure we all have a couple horror stories, it doesnt "just" happen to subsidized housing. We had mice too, they finally dealt with it. And a week before we were to move out, the ceiling caved in! What a dive! lol

Anyways, I wanted to give a tip to those apartment dwellers who hate mice and other rodents ...it's not foolproof but it usually helps to know this. IF there is a basement in the building , there are usually no chronic mice problems. BUT if they have a crawlspace or mudfloor there is likely to be problems. They can find their way in a nickel size hole ...when we had mice we had only a crawlspace in that apt, and my IL's chronically have problems and they have a crawlspce. Its harder for them to get in when you have a concrete foundation. Just maybe something to look for in the future..I know I wouldn't stay anywhere again with no concrete foundation.

Pumpkin
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Thank you for seeing my points! By no means am I pin pointing anyone in particular by saying what I said and by no means should anyone live in conditions that are BAD. But like someone said, with the lower cost of rent, use what money you might save and try and in a cheap way, fix up your place yourself, be it a mice problem, painted shut windows, dirty walls, ect. And to make one more comment on comments that were made earlier, some of you complained of the smell moving into an apartment....you would be complaining that the floors were in a terrible state and that the walls were horrible if they hadn't "freshened" them up before you moved in...

So good advice given by Carter's Mom, stay and pay low rent and deal with your minor situations yourself or move and pay higher rent for somewhere you are more comfortable with. There are others in need on long waiting lists who would love to have your apartment!!

Lisa_morris
03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I know I pay low rent I am grateful I had the chance to move in here. I dont know what I would have done without it. I understand what pumpkin is saying, its just that sometimes you have to get it out. And although its called low income housing doesnt mean its under $300. My neighbor just moved out because her rent was going to be almost $800 a month. It all depends on your income. The only reason it was brought up was because that was the point of the thread. And ya I complained about the smell, and you asked if I would have complained if the floors had not been redone, all I have to about that is, because my floors had just been done when I moved in all the varnish or whatever is they put on hardwood floors is came up. So they may as well have saved there money for something else.

artemisrane
03-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I have a very close friend who lived in north end housing. It was full of mold and she had severe breathing problems. She was on disability and unable to afford anything besides what they could give her. She spoke with housing many times, had letters from doctors & as well as from the asthma clinic over west. They never did a thing. Just because people are low income does not mean that they should have to live in a situation which could be hazardous to their health. It will cost medicare more in the long run if they do not deal with problems such as these now.

Her basement was full of peeling insulation (it looked like it was insulated with sea weed), loose wires, dampness, & mold. She finally was able to be placed in a different housing situation. I'll bet [and this is just an educated guess...not an accusation] all housing did was strip the basement and board it up. Leaving the mold problem to grow into it's own little kingdom....

lemec
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Well I just moved of of my G/f's house at nevin's lane (low income housing) and she only pays $300 h/l included and that's on social assistance. And I worked full time making good money. They are clean and a nice little back yard. And even have a maintenance man that does everything. So really I couldn't complain from the time I lived in housing..Now we moved from churchhill BLVd because of the dump, mold growing on the walls windows were falling out It took threatening to get the building inspector to come and look that got us in those other places.

Lisa_morris
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I just moved of of my G/f's house at nevin's lane (low income housing) and she only pays $300 h/l included and that's on social assistance. And I worked full time making good money. They are clean and a nice little back yard. And even have a maintenance man that does everything. So really I couldn't complain from the time I lived in housing..Now we moved from churchhill BLVd because of the dump, mold growing on the walls windows were falling out It took threatening to get the building inspector to come and look that got us in those other places.
If you were living with your girlfriend and working full time, shouldnt you have told housing??????

lemec
03-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Wasn't in my name was in hers and wasn't my resposonibilityto tell them. She was already in housing when I moved in she just didn't tell them. People do it all the time I just made sure I had no bills going there...I knew it was wrong but I worked and she draws assistance it was up to her to tell them not me.

Mandi
03-19-2007, 08:41 PM
If you were living with your girlfriend and working full time, shouldnt you have told housing??????

Sounds more like he should have told the govenrment... it's kind of illegal. o.0

Cherry Pop
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Wasn't in my name was in hers and wasn't my resposonibilityto tell them. She was already in housing when I moved in she just didn't tell them. People do it all the time I just made sure I had no bills going there...I knew it was wrong but I worked and she draws assistance it was up to her to tell them not me.

Whatever! It's people like you who make it difficult for the people who aren't ripping off the system. By the way, people don't do it all the time, I don't. Basically you just told everyone on here that you and your girlfriend are ripping off nb housing and income assistance.

lemec
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I wasn't she was ,and i'm not a he I'm a she. yes we were common law but she was the one drawing it . So I wasn't ripping off the system...if anything
I contributed to the system.....

Lisa_morris
03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Im on assistance and constantly have to fight to not be looked at like Im abusing the system. They are helping me and it pisses me off when I hear of people abusing it. It is there to help poeple who need it. I tell my case worker everything even when I was babysitting I brought in my reciepts every month even though it didnt effect my check, it was the right thing to do. Its because people assume "everyones doing it" that give people on assistance a bad name. If you are knowingly living in housing and do not tell them you are in no way contributing to the government. The reason you couldnt get your windows fixed was because of people like you. Maybe if you had of told them you were living there they would have adjusted your rent and had the money after paying you power to fix the place.

Cherry Pop
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I wasn't she was ,and i'm not a he I'm a she. yes we were common law but she was the one drawing it . So I wasn't ripping off the system...if anything
I contributed to the system.....

You are ripping off the system if you live with your girlfriend in housing while she is on income assistance and you are working. You are just as guilty as she is. It is your responsibility as a couple to let the social workers know what is going on. The only reason you didn't was so you could have a free ride. Yes it makes me very angry with people who do that.

lemec
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
well i'm sorry you all feel that way and I guess you are all right.but what was I too do . when I think of it I gave her a free ride because I worked and she drew...that check wasn't in my name and I didn't cash it.......
But yeah your right.

Mandi
03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
well i'm sorry you all feel that way and I guess you are all right.but what was I too do . when I think of it I gave her a free ride because I worked and she drew...that check wasn't in my name and I didn't cash it.......
But yeah your right.

You worked full time, and paid $300 heat and lights included a month for rent.... I pay more than twice that now for an apartment that is 1/2 the size. You didn't think you were doing something wrong? It's illegal to live with someone who a congugal partner who is on assistance while you work and don't report it. You may see yourself as innocent, but I promise you in the eyes of the law, you are not. You could actually go to jail. :(

Tara
03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
That's what REALLY friggin ticks me off. I have nothing to say, I've got more important crap to deal with.

lemec
03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
well I am no longer living there another female is so I guess it's her turn to milk the system..I now am renting my own apartment paying dble the rent and paying my own h/l's.And holding my head up high because i am out and not involved in that situation anymore. And I guess as you guy's say getting a free ride.

Tara
03-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Umm....you were milking the system and basically getting a free ride....nice to know that my tax dollars are going towards people who are basically committing fraud

Lemme_LQQK
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Umm , not taking sides here, but I would say that theres a discrepancy with all this.
The person who's name is on the lease/contract or whatever it is they have is responsable for letting housing , AND social assistance know the details. And I can only imagine there are wads of recipients out there that don't. It irks me when I think of it.

Housing AND social assistance should be more on the ball with this , I'm sure they know it's going on but apparently don't seem all that interested in doing anything.

I know a person that is paid a suprised visit every yr ( shes 58 now) , she is almost to the point of being harrassed by them with the questions they ask.
One day her ex mom in law loaned her ,her vehicle to go to a Dr's appointment , later that day, in the meantime this lady's worker arrived after ( which she noticed a strange car parked outside her yard for a time) for a yearly interview.

They asked :who owns that car out there , the worker was told who and why it was there and was shown the proof of ownership , then the next question asked was "and who puts the gas in it and who pays the insurance"? I mean c'mon that's a bit rediculous to continue on with that line of questioning don't u think.

But as someone stated here that it's not fair that some are milking the system and are more times than not , able enough to work and don't.
I guess as the saying goes , some on assistance have time enough on their hands to think of the many different ways to scam the system, while the working stiff paays thru the nose.

I've heard so many times that it takes a few calls to the dept ,of people reporting someone before they will get up off that nice comfy chair and actually go out and do what needs to be done . Most times nothing comes of a visit anyway.

I like most of you out there could rant and go on and on , but will stop for now as this really gets my dander up...lol

Sorry if I have hogged this thread .

Cherry Pop
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Umm , not taking sides here, but I would say that theres a discrepancy with all this.
The person who's name is on the lease/contract or whatever it is they have is responsable for letting housing , AND social assistance know the details. And I can only imagine there are wads of recipients out there that don't. It irks me when I think of it.

Housing AND social assistance should be more on the ball with this , I'm sure they know it's going on but apparently don't seem all that interested in doing anything.

I know a person that is paid a suprised visit every yr ( shes 58 now) , she is almost to the point of being harrassed by them with the questions they ask.
One day her ex mom in law loaned her ,her vehicle to go to a Dr's appointment , later that day, in the meantime this lady's worker arrived after ( which she noticed a strange car parked outside her yard for a time) for a yearly interview.

They asked :who owns that car out there , the worker was told who and why it was there and was shown the proof of ownership , then the next question asked was "and who puts the gas in it and who pays the insurance"? I mean c'mon that's a bit rediculous to continue on with that line of questioning don't u think.

But as someone stated here that it's not fair that some are milking the system and are more times than not , able enough to work and don't.
I guess as the saying goes , some on assistance have time enough on their hands to think of the many different ways to scam the system, while the working stiff paays thru the nose.

I've heard so many times that it takes a few calls to the dept ,of people reporting someone before they will get up off that nice comfy chair and actually go out and do what needs to be done . Most times nothing comes of a visit anyway.

I like most of you out there could rant and go on and on , but will stop for now as this really gets my dander up...lol

Funny thing is I got a visit this year too! The guy was asking all these questions making it like I was working and not reporting it. I got really po'ed. I mean I have had 4 surgeries in the last 6 months alone. I asked him if he would like to see the huge scar on my stomach and see all my medical supplies. I offered to show him my dr's notes and forms and plane tickets to ontario. I asked if he noticed that I can't walk all that normal right now. He really wasn't interested in all that. He seemed only interested in implying that I am doing something wrong which I'm not. The thing that gets me is they have all my dr's records and notes about my surgery which went to them straight from my dr's office not through me. Also I told him to call my ex-boss where I'm currently on sick leave from cause she keeps tabs on how I'm doing and they have notes from her as well. The way it seems to work is the innocent people get a "visit" from workers while the people who are abusing the system don't ever get a visit. They have all kinds of proof from me regarding my situation so it makes me wonder about what kind of proof the other people who don't get visits have. It just really annoys me cause my life right now is hard enough without having someone come in accusing me of stuff!

orange
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM

I agree with your sentiments, but your post is a bit contradictory in some ways...

You sort of insult government workers when you say "it takes a few calls to the dept ,of people reporting someone before they will get up off that nice comfy chair and actually go out and do what needs to be done"

...but in your post, you also complain about government workers doing their job to thoroughly check into things, in the case of your friend.

I just don't think that it's appropriate that on one hand, people insult government workers for not being thorough. And yet when they are thorough, people complain about it.

I do agree with your sentiments, that it would be annoying for your friend to be checked on. But the worker is just doing their job...

When you say "I'm sure they know it's going on but apparently don't seem all that interested in doing anything."
... I think they are interested, but their budget is limited and they can only do so much... and a lot of times, the scammer will manage to hide their scam, so going through all the trouble of checking ends up being for nothing except a cost for taxpayers. With a few complaints, it's more likely that there really is a scammer, rather than in the case of 1 complaint, where it could just be a misunderstanding or a liar.

I dislike some gov workers for my own reasons :D , but don't think it's fair for them to be complained about both when they are thorough, and then when they aren't thorough

Edit to add: After reading Cherry Pop's post, I think I see your point better. But still, in your friend's case, it seems reasonable to ask about gas and insurance. I'm sure some scammers get cars put in someone else's name, but still drive it and use it themselves...
(obviously not the case with your friend, but I can see why the gov worker would need to check...)

orange
03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Funny thing is I got a visit this year too! The guy was asking all these questions making it like I was working and not reporting it. I got really po'ed. I mean I have had 4 surgeries in the last 6 months alone. I asked him if he would like to see the huge scar on my stomach and see all my medical supplies. I offered to show him my dr's notes and forms and plane tickets to ontario. I asked if he noticed that I can't walk all that normal right now. He really wasn't interested in all that. He seemed only interested in implying that I am doing something wrong which I'm not. The thing that gets me is they have all my dr's records and notes about my surgery which went to them straight from my dr's office not through me. Also I told him to call my ex-boss where I'm currently on sick leave from cause she keeps tabs on how I'm doing and they have notes from her as well. The way it seems to work is the innocent people get a "visit" from workers while the people who are abusing the system don't ever get a visit. They have all kinds of proof from me regarding my situation so it makes me wonder about what kind of proof the other people who don't get visits have. It just really annoys me cause my life right now is hard enough without having someone come in accusing me of stuff!

After reading this, I think I see Lemme_LQQk's point better...

Seems that he was far too thorough with you, when your doc's notes had already gone to their office... he should have spent that time checking on scammers

Crystalbeach
03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
First off you should know that the staff of NB Housing is very small and there is no way that they could police all of the abuses...

lemec
03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Housing don't care as long as the rent is being paid..right next door to were I lived there is a family won't go into details let's say from another country and their are 8 of them living there. Now when I was with my g/f It was me, her and her 3 kids and we were so so for space. The neighbours place islayed out exactly the same as ours So you tell me where all those people are sleeping..So housing isn't that strict.

Mandi
03-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Housing don't care as long as the rent is being paid..right next door to were I lived there is a family won't go into details let's say from another country and their are 8 of them living there. Now when I was with my g/f It was me, her and her 3 kids and we were so so for space. The neighbours place islayed out exactly the same as ours So you tell me where all those people are sleeping..So housing isn't that strict.
'
Growing up, I had 6 in my family, and we shared a 3 bedroom apartment pretty comfortably. This apartment didn't have a basement either, it was a single floor, and half the floor of the building, not very large. I'm sure those buildings could accomidate.

Lemme_LQQK
03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Orange, I reread my post and you are right , I did come off sounding like a I was cutting my nose off to speight my face...lol I guess I should of read what I wrote. But I'm glad now that you see what I was really trying to say, 'Social assistance dos't apply themselves where they should and when they do decide to of their own accord( which makes me think it's just for appearances sake) they choose the wrong people to berauge with some of the things they ask. Either way the effort is NOT being applied in the appropiate places.

The :clients: shall we say , in a certain age bracket should have unannounced periodic home visits, and if they are on SS for medical reasons , the dept should have a Dr of their ,not the clients choosing and be checked out.

Well I guess you know how it goes , I just wanted to say that in my earlier post the more I typed the more thots were running thru my head and it came out sounding different than what was my intention.....lol

I live in a rural area but within city limits and on the 1st of each month I see people in thier cars lined up at the mailbox , that don't even live in my area waiting for the mailman to arrive. I have seen them actually get out of their vehicle with hand out asking the mailman if theres any mail for them before the mailman even gets the mailbox doors open to put in the mail.
He usually makes them wait til he's finished and let me tell you there are sure some dirty looks given to him...lol
Sooo I guess my question is ,why aren't these people checked out more often.
Ohhhhh I gotta stop now because my dander is rising again...lol hope this reply came out right this time...lol

Thanks for reading.

mommahas2babies
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
I live in nb housing, and despite the fact that there not that well kept up (IE mold and bird feces in the house) anytime I have had an issue I had someone here pretty quick... I find they are pretty good about fixing things. Mind u my problems were pretty major.. first week I was here my toilet backed up into my tub, tub into kitchen sink.. they had someone here within 2 hrs.. Not bad.. The second time my hot water pipes in the heater exploded.. 3 inches of water on the floor. Had someone here in 10 minutes. So I really cant complain.. Though I know that they can be slack. My neighbour had birds in her attic and they had feces in the house from them, her little boys were getting really sick, she complained nothing happened.. Eventually she moved out, apartment is still empty. It just depends on how u want to deal with things... I think we need to be thankful that there is a system here to help with the cost of housing. I went from paying 620 a month +utilites to 377 utilities inc. I am not gonna complain about that! I am thankful that I have a home to live in! I see it all the time people down here in housing whinning and complaining about this or that.. Get a life, most of what u expect to have fixed right away u could fix urself! As far as Lemec(?) I know that you are not the only one out there that is milking the system or should I say helping someone milk the system.. I see it ALL THE TIME HERE! It really urkes me. I am a very honest person, I contact housing whenever my situation changes whether it be my mother stayign with me for 2 weeks, to my income changing.. EVERYTHING. And for you to think it is ok to not notify housing that you are living there, that makes u a low life. I am sorry. U knew that u were not on that lease, you admit it yourself, making sure that no bills were in your name, you knew what u were doing was wrong. And honestly I hope that welfare finds out that she had u living there cause they willnot only go after her they will go after U for defrauding the province.. It makes me so mad when honest people that really need the help cant get it because there are people out there (not just you) that are abusing the system. I hope u all get caught.. And about the other post about 8 people living together in 1 house.. so what.? As long as housing knows how many people are in the home who cares? I know of a family right now that have 9 people in a 3 bedroom, and welfare and housing only knows about 4 of them... that is wrong! but if they know who is there they can adjust the rent accordingly.. I am sorry if I offended anyone here, it just ticks me off to see the abuse on the system when honest people that need the help cant get it! Thanks!

lemec
03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
well go after her she's the one that is still collecting the assistance and having someone live with her that works ....this one is her 4 th now and she's been on assistance for 12 year's so you tell me who's milking the system. I get up everyday and go to work and EARN a honest living.

mommahas2babies
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
were u legally common law?? or just what u called each other?? did u file common law on tax returns?? If so how does one go about gettting a check and have a legal partner working? I dont understand. I am sorry if I offended u, its not my intent, its just that I have seen it too often in the past couple months and I am so upset.. honest people get the shaft while dishonest people get all the benefits...

lemec
03-22-2007, 06:02 AM
In the eyes of the law we were common law! She was reported on twice. her worker showed up at the door asked who all lived there said they had a report that I was living there as well as someone else. But because I had no bills in my name at that address,they could not prove I lived there.