PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heating issues

Flaxie
02-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help!
This is my first year with hot water heat and I can't seem to get heat in all of our rooms. I've tried bleeding all the lines. Once I get heat from one radiator another room looses heat. Any ideas?

Flaxie

icedragon
02-25-2007, 11:14 AM
how many levels does your house have? Would you know how many zone valves (zones) are attached to your boiler? The temperature may be too low on the boiler or the boiler can't handle the amount of space you have to heat.

Flaxie
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
We bought this place last summer. The house is 60 yrs old, there are 2 floors, basement and main floor. (all original) There are three pipes coming to the furnice. One is the water supply line, one goes to the storage tank and one more that has a tap attached part way up it. The tempurature gauge is reading around 80.

icedragon
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Ya thats a little low. For heat in the winter the temp should be around 140. Alot of people (including me) turn it down in the summer as there is no need for the water to be that hot. Saves on oil. Could also be the high and low temps are too far apart. They should not be more that 20 degrees apart. Might also be that the previous owners found that to be adaquite amount of heat and left it turned down. For whatever reason, If you find there is not enough heat, you may have to get it turned back up.

Flaxie
02-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks
I'll have to call the oil company to come set it higher then. My daughter sleeps with her hat and sweater on under her bedding.
I had been hoping it was something I could fix.
Not that I know anything about heating systems lol :o

icedragon
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
wow must be really cold. Let me know how it works out and what the oil company said.

bleacherbutt
03-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi

You should be able to do this yourself. Just find the temperature control box above the burner on the furnace. Set the "cut-in"or "on" temperature to 120 and set the "cut-off" or "off" temperature to 140.

Also you may want to make sure circulation pump is working. Set your wall thermostat to call for heat and put your hand on the circulation pump and you should feel it working (humming) or hear it.

Hope this helps!!!

Flaxie
03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you both for your input.

I broke down and called the oil company. They sent someone over yesterday. He replaced the water gauge and a valve. The valve that allowed water into the furnice was not working and neither was the gauge.
So after about an hour and 1/2 of labour and those 2 parts we finally have heat throughout our home Yeah!!
I'm not looking forward to the bill but at least with everything working properly my oil bill should be a little more reasonable.

Although my daughter still slept with her winter hat on last night lol
I think its become a habit for her:)

icedragon
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
when you say gauge do you mean aquastat? It's odd that that valve failed. Unless draining the boiler for repair or cleaning, there is no need to ever shut it off. Sometimes when a valve is shut off for a long time it can break when attempting to re-open, however when the valve is already open it will remain open. Glad you got heat though. I never thought to ask if water was actually flowing through the pipes.

Flaxie
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm not familiar with the term aquastat but it sounds right It was the thing that showed the water pressure and temperature. The people who owned the house prior to me used alot of wood heat. The furnace was shut down completely when I had the place inspected so we had to have someone from the oil company come and test and inspect it. I'd say we were not specific enough when we had them do the testing. I'm just glad we are now warm lol

icedragon
03-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not familiar with the term aquastat but it sounds right It was the thing that showed the water pressure and temperature. The people who owned the house prior to me used alot of wood heat. The furnace was shut down completely when I had the place inspected so we had to have someone from the oil company come and test and inspect it. I'd say we were not specific enough when we had them do the testing. I'm just glad we are now warm lol

The techs from the oil company probally just fired the furnace and left it at that

Flaxie
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
There were several problems with the furnice at the time. There was a crack in the boiler and the fuel line needed to be replaced. I can't remember exactly what else. I'm guessing they stopped there and just fired it up to make sure it was working after all of the repairs were done.