PDA

View Full Version : CoWorker Rant

richunclepennywise
02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Just need to vent:

Why do some people think it's okay to show up late for work....with a fresh cup of Timmy's in their hand?

When did it become okay to phone in sick....four hours after the start of your shift?

How come if you smoke you're entitled to twenty extra 10 minute smoke breaks?

Thanks I feel better now.

Cherry Pop
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds like your day is going bad. So I want to wish you a VERY HAPPY DAY!! Hope it gets better!

miss_daisie
02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
sounds like my work! you dont wokr at sobeys do yea? Id totaly get where you are comen from if so. Speacialy the smoker thing.

richunclepennywise
02-24-2007, 08:37 PM
no not at sobey's, but I do see it everywhere.

dittydottie
02-24-2007, 09:10 PM
I see it big time where I work concerning the smoke breaks. I even got in trouble because I was in charge one night and I wouldn't give an extra break to smokers. I am a nonsmoker and I do not get an extra break. Maybe I should be entitled to a tim's break so I can have a capinchinno when I get the urge or the sudden need to have one.
Why is it when the boss is around on a 9 hr shift during the day you see 2 fifteen minute breaks and 1 half hour for lunch, but if someone works a 6.5 hr shift at night they take half hour for supper plus a smoke break(quick they say!)before people start their suppers and then another smoke break(quick one again they say!) after suppers are done.
Why is it that some people can do something and not get in trouble but let another person do the same thing and get in trouble?

miss_daisie
02-24-2007, 09:44 PM
its dumb it really is.
I actually had one of the managers in my store actually rag me out because I wouldnt lift a box... First of all I am 120 pounds... and 5 foot 7. and about 4 months pregnant(maybe a bit more). He expected me to take a box that was filled with 15 chickens weighing 1.5 kgs each and lift it up on to a pile of 9 boxes similar to this. I told him I couldnt lift that, its too heavy and Im 4 months pregnant if he'd wait Nick(he offered to lift anything I need as we work in the same dept together) would be more then happy to finih unloading the heavier boxes from the cart and Id take over nicks job for the time being... His reaction was "OH YOU PEOPLE!" rolled his eyes and said forget it I will do it. I was very upset with this reaction from a manager, we have a rite to refuse work that we find could be harmful.
This is how things work at my werk. I was actually yelled at when I said I needed about 3 weeks off work after having a knee surgery and was told I shouldnt need more then a week and that by me leaving it was puting them in a hard spot to fill my spot...
Dont get the wrong impression with my werk. Alot of amazing people are there. But some just arent right... A few dept managers in most are the ones with problems... Everyone else is great and I really consider them an awsoem group to werk with. Ive gotten alot of help from co-workers during my time for surgery when I came back and now with the pregnancy... and even on days when Im sick or running behind on work people have offered to mop my floor for me, ect... its the managers mostly... they are jsut so hung up on looking good for on enaohter... peaves me off I tell yea!

ceg
02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I work in a call center and so many people were taking smoke breaks outside of their normal breaks that we no longer get paid for any unscheduled breaks. Like if I have to use the bathroom and can't wait til my break I don't get paid, we used to get 10 minutes a day towards things like that. All because people would put themselves in the bathroom break code and then you would find them outside smoking.

I used to work retail as well and people wouldn't call in if they were sick or would just stop showing up, it would take them over two weeks just to realize they weren't coming anymore and fire them.

icedragon
02-25-2007, 11:08 AM
You should try working in a small office with a guy who has really bad flatulence. Daily. I often confront him about it but my complaining seems to encourage him. He gets in before me so the small room is already filled with an unpleasant odor when I arrive. The windows don't open and the doorway offers no airflow. To make it worse, He now has the heater on his side of the room. Yes, heat does amplify the smell. He really should go to the doctor because I don't think a healthy person is suppose to smell that bad.

miss_daisie
02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I would start like stashing odour eaters arounbd his desk and such. maybe hed get the idea. atleast youde have a chacne of killing the smell a bit?

Mandy
02-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Icedragon, that is disgusting!
I can't believe someone would do that. Makes you wonder what kind of mentality this person has. I can't even comment on this now, I am so grossed out! I feel for you!

LiLLY
02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't even get breaks lol. I am allowed to go out for my 3 min smoke! If i want to eat I have to stand up to eat my supper!
I understand about people getting mad about smokers at work, i am smoker and got mad when people would go out outside of there normal breaks for a smoke.