PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing problem need help

blackie
06-07-2009, 10:48 AM
We have an older claw foot tub and love it. We bought new taps for it from E bay which we also love. They do not fit as the centres are different. The new ones are 6 inch centres and the tub takes 3 i/2 in centre. Is there some way we can cut the tub centre to fit them and cover the old hole so they will not be seen. It there some kind of plate we can install?
I would really like some advise if you may have a solution. Cannot afford a new tub and can't send back the taps. Have had them for too long now.

Jilly-Bean
06-08-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty sure you are stuck. There isn't any way you can "make" these fit. I believe you can only get taps that are 4" and 8" and the 8" are crazy expensive.

momof2sweethearts
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I would suggest selling the one you have that is the wrong size and buy the right size. Kind of a pain and you will probably lose money but at least you won't chance making a huge mistake by drilling holes in a clawfoot tub (which I love by the way) only to have to buy a new tub and spend even more money. Good luck!!

blackie
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I think we have have come up wit a solution. We could build a shelf just above the part where the taps are and install them that way and some how make a patch to cover the old holes in the tub.Hope it works as we do not want to give up the taps or the tub.

livkat
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I think we have have come up wit a solution. We could build a shelf just above the part where the taps are and install them that way and some how make a patch to cover the old holes in the tub.Hope it works as we do not want to give up the taps or the tub.
There is nothing you can patch a cast iron tub with that will prevent leakage.

blackie
06-10-2009, 09:42 AM
The patch would be above the overflow part. so if the tub had too much water it would go through there first and should not leak. At least this is the way we are looking at it.

blackie
06-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure you are stuck. There isn't any way you can "make" these fit. I believe you can only get taps that are 4" and 8" and the 8" are crazy expensive.

Would you believe we found a way? There is a part you can buy that converts the news taps down to the size of the holes in the tub. Go figure!! I was told about it ay Eddys but it was expensive and would not arrive in time. We are under a time pressure as we have compnay coming to stay for a family wedding.Then after some more shopping around I managed to find the same thing at Kents for 58.00. About half the price. So problem solved.
We also found covers for the holes if we had to go through with mounting the new taps on a shelf.So it paid off to have kept persuing the problem.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.