PDA

View Full Version : The use of bumper pads in cribs

DobWhiDai
02-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone, as I was reading the LF adds I came across a topic that intriqued me to research further, the use of bumper pads in cribs.

Bumper pads are available in all major department store chains and are you always see a pic of a crib on a flyer with the pads attached. Therefore you believe they are essential for the baby's room crib set. Plus if EVERYONE sells them therefore they are safe for a baby correct?

According to Policy Statement For Bumper Pads from Health Canada "Health Canada does not recommend the use of bumper pads in cribs because they pose an entanglement, entrapment, strangulation, and suffocation hazard to infants" (August 17, 2005) Furthermore, "between 1987 and 2001, 23 incidents involving bumper pads were reported to Health Canada". When you read "23", well that is not much, however that were the "reported number"!

This policy statement continues stating details that "the presence of bumper pads in a crib may also be a contributing factor for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). These products may reduce the flow of oxygen rich air to the infant in the crib. Furthermore, proposed theories indicate that the rebreathing of carbon dioxide plays a role in the occurrence of SIDS".

To find more information regarding this policy here is the link: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/pol/bumper-bordure_e.html

Another useful site is the Canadian Pediatric Society (www.cps.ca) they support to "keep soft materials out of your baby’s sleep environment: quilts, comforters, bumper pads, stuffed animals, pillows and other pillow-like items" due to increase risk of SIDS, according to 'Safe Sleep for Babies' posted on their website in May 2006.

I am not here to judge parenting believes regarding the use of bumper pads etc. In conclusion it is ultimately the parent(s) choice if they would like to use bumper pads, comforters, etc in the crib. As an expectant mother due this Spring, I truly believe in researching all products regarding baby safety to make an inform choice.

Thank you

amclure
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for this information!! I recently heard from one friend that bumper pads were a must and another said they were a safety concern. I was going to look into it before I spent any money on bedding.

Thank You Again!

michp
02-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I would never tell someone that they had to have bumper pads, but I thought that I would share my story explaining why we chose to use them....

Both my children slept in playpen bassinets (without bumperpads-sides are made of a mesh like material with holes) in our bedroom until they were about 4 months (when the risk of SIDS decreases and they're pretty much sleeping through the night). When I did finally put our first born in her crib I had taken the bumper pads out until she work up screaming one day and I found her with one leg and two arms sticking out in between the spindles on the crib. Her arms were twisted and red from trying to free herself and her screams of course scared the living day lights out of me so I decided to put the bumper pads back on (this had happened a few other times to lesser degrees). So, now with our 2nd I did the same. I do however make sure that the pads are tucked down beside the mattress and I check the ties every day (sometimes 2 or 3 times!).
That having been said I took as many precautions as possible to prevent SIDS (ex-no one smoked around the babies, back to sleep, no blankets/pillows/stuffed animals in the crib) Also, I had healthy 8+ pound babies so that in itself helps reduce the risk of SIDS).

DOB- you're right it's always best to do your research in order to make an informed decision. I definetly believe that knowledge is power (cliche I know-lol)
amclure- unless you buy seperate pieces, you'll probably find that most sets will come with bumper pads so unfortunately you usually end buying them wether you want them or not. :-(

care1978
02-24-2007, 06:00 PM
i never usedd bumper pads with my son, and he ended up getting his legs caught in the rails of the crib, and one time i had to break the rail to get his leg out, i still dont use them but there needs to be an alternative to them to prevent this sort of thing from happening!

Mandi
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
wow I feel lucky, I never had a bad experience with my child and her crib.

Misty589
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
you can get cribs with wide, slats instead of narrow rails, where the space is small between them, that would decrease the chance of gettting caught in the crib. when I had my first I weighed both issues and decided that if she got her leg/arm caught in the rails, it would be uncomfortable and not ideal, however It is much better than risking stragulation
Just a personal opionion and how I came to it.

christine chittick
02-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I used bumperpads with all 3 kids. The only time I have had issues was when the pads weren't in there. They would get their arms and legs stuck in there, and they would twist and turn and scream from pain of being stuck in that position.

To each his/her own if you decide to use them or not, I guess. I am not going to condone anyone who does use them or doesn't use them.

My question is, is there solid proof that it decreases oxygen flow, is there solid proof that babies could be breathing in carbon dioxide?

Cherry Pop
02-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I used bumper pads on my daughter's crib when she was a baby that was almost 9 years ago though but she turned out fine. My mother used them in my crib when I was a baby and depending who you ask (lol), I turned out fine. I think with things like this you need to research and then decide for yourself what you want to do.

-=coppertop=-
02-24-2007, 08:19 PM
saying that the parent should have the right to choose about bumper pads is like saying they have the right to choose about seatbelts. There is hard evidence that bumperpads can kill. Its like saying you dont want your kids to get brusied across the chest in an accident. Its alot better than having them die from SIDS, so what responsible parent would take that risk? I've always said bumper pads tell you alot about the parent.

andrea
02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
i mensioned it on some ones add for a crib set...
just to help,,,
and it seemed like i was just ignored,,and i was afraid for the child!
if some one told me that it would help my baby i would do anything!!!
ok a well researched anything!!

Auntie22
02-24-2007, 11:53 PM
What is really sad is the fact that Health Canada does advise against them, however all the sets you go and look at they are included. I dont think it is fair that we should have to pay for something that we are being advised for safty reasons not to use! Funny this should appear on here, my mom and I were just talking about it today :o

MrsBeasley
02-25-2007, 05:41 AM
My question is, is there solid proof that it decreases oxygen flow, is there solid proof that babies could be breathing in carbon dioxide?

My question to that is if the bumperpads decrease the oxygen flow and they end up breathing in the CO2 then what about the tiny bassinettes most babies start out in?? There's certainly not much air flow in those.

I also started my son in a playpen bassinette (full size) with mesh sides, and when I moved him to the crib without bumperpads is when he started getting arms and legs stuck and twisting around and getting all caught up, not to mention the odd bump on the noggin. I decided to put the pads back in, yes, I knew the risk but decided to anyway. My son was a healthy 9.71/4 lb at birth and he was about 4 months old when I moved him to the crib. I had the best monitor money could buy. If there was no movement for 3 seconds (even breathing) it would go off, plus I could hear if he woke up or stirred a lot. Plus I checked on him regularily.

So just because I chose to use bumper pads as I'm sure most of us all grew up with them in our cribs, that makes me a bad mother??? NO!

Research is the key and deciding what is right for you and your situation! They still are not 100% sure what causes SIDS, only setting guidelines on how to help reduce the possibility of having it occur. I believe if a child is going to have it they are predisposed to it anyway.

Yes by all means follow all the safety recommendations required if that's how you feel. But don't say that because I chose to use them that that tells what kind of parent I am, you have no idea.

christine chittick
02-25-2007, 07:33 AM
saying that the parent should have the right to choose about bumper pads is like saying they have the right to choose about seatbelts. There is hard evidence that bumperpads can kill. Its like saying you dont want your kids to get brusied across the chest in an accident. Its alot better than having them die from SIDS, so what responsible parent would take that risk? I've always said bumper pads tell you alot about the parent.

No actually, its not. Seatbelts are mandatory in our country, crib bumperpads is a choice. Please provide the hard evidence and statistics that prove that bumperpads can cause SIDS, etc. Provide the statistics where bumperpads ALONE have cause infant death in comparison chart between that and infants whose parents used bumperpads and survived.

I had a friend back in elementary school that was literally cut in half at the midsection due to a seatbelt. So, in that case, since you are comparing seatbelts and bumperpads, so do seatbelts.

Please don't think that you can tell anything about me, or anyone else that uses them for that matter, what kind of parents we are. Thats just plain irresponsible in itself.

ChelorSean
02-25-2007, 07:49 AM
well we never used them for our first son and now with our new little one we don't use them!we were told in prenatal class and in our health registration.no body is a bad parent for deciding to use them but i think if you are going to use them get the ones that are ok....they do have them out there.they are made from mess and that way the air can get in and out.the only time we ever had a problem with our youngest was in the cradle he would move and bump his head so i would just lay a receiving blanket beside the rail.now he is 5 1/2 months old and not one morning do i go in to get that child and have him in the same position and he has never gotten caught.so for all those who need to be making the decision anytime soon and would say talk to your doctor about it and get info.look for the mess ones and good luck with all your new bundles of joy!

yoyoyip
02-25-2007, 08:09 AM
When my wife and I took pre-natal classes last year, we were told that officials were not advocating the use of bumper pads because studies had shown that cases of SIDS had decreased by some huge astronomical number. (I'm thinking 50 - 60 percent)

Now that my son is 8 months old, beginning to crawl and flop over often, we are getting the pads. It's either pads or a helmet. :D

Any child who cannot roll over shouldn't have them, IMHO.

Micah P... do you have children, or just 4 nieces/nephews?

SJresident
02-25-2007, 08:10 AM
We didn't use them for our little one either..We made this choice almost 5 yrs ago when we were pregnant for the first time and like others, we heard the dangers of using them for the first time..so after a few people told me I decided to do some research and from what I saw at the time we just decided not to..

This is a good link http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/pol/bumper-bordure_e.html and I based my decison on one just like it at the time I was pregant 5 yrs ago ! It says that between 1987 - 2001 there were 23 reported incidents involving bumper pads were reported to Health Canada, including one strangulation death, one suffocation death, and three near-suffocation occurrences. Now from what it reads this was just the ones they knew were for sure the bumper pads....
From reading you will see there is no way to know for sure about the deaths caused by Bumper Pads in ( SIDS ) situation but that is it beleived to be a big risk and lists why...
The Canadian Paediatric Society, the Canadian Institute of Child Health, and the Canadian Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths have also issued statements advising against the use of bumper pads.

This is what is says for using bumper pads for other safety reasons...

Bumper pads have been on the market for many years and a number of reasons are cited to promote their use:

to prevent infants from injury caused by bumping against the side of their crib;
to prevent the infant in the crib from entrapping his or her limbs between the slats of the crib, and;
for aesthetic reasons.However, when used correctly, bumper pads should not protect infants from bumping against the sides of a crib or from having limbs become entrapped between the slats of the crib. This is because bumper pads are supposed to be removed from the crib by the time that the infant is able to roll over and sit up unaided (a development milestone normally reached between 4 and 8 months of age), which represents the same time frame in which it is expected that the infant would be able to move over and approach the side of the crib.
(It must also be noted that, for the most part, infants do not sustain major injuries from banging their heads against the sides of their cribs because they are incapable of generating enough force to seriously injure themselves through head banging. The frontal bone, which is the part of the head most frequently struck during crib head banging, is the thickest bone in the body and therefore, is capable of absorbing the shock associated with this type of behaviour.
It should also be noted that it remains possible for an infant to entrap his or her limbs over or under the bumper pads and that infant limb entrapment [between the slats of a crib], in the vast majority of cases, results in no injury or minor injury, such as bruising.)
In summary, aesthetic value, the risk of limb entrapment, and the risk of a child hitting their head against the side of their crib are overshadowed by the hazards of entanglement, entrapment, strangulation, and suffocation (potentially leading to death) that children are exposed to through the use of bumper pads.

There is more listed in there, a real good read... I think it's for sure that we ALL love our children it's just one of those choices we as parents make !

babydoll101
02-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I used them for all 3 of my children. They moved alot in their crib and I was thankful for them. I think they are great espicially for my youngest. They really protect the baby when they need it. Believe me you don't really know what can happen in those cribs. Just recently my daughter got her leg cought in her crib. She was 16 months old so her bumper pads were taken out. That was how we found out about her blood disorder. Her legs was so badly bruised, it was black. Let me tell you I wish I could have been using them then. I'm sure not all babies are the same but it does save some tears.

jxdburk
02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Well being mother of 5 kids ranging from 15 down to 1,I have used bumper pads with my kids except the last one and thats because her crib is different and its really hard getting them on it.
I have never had problems with bumper pads and as for SIDS everytime you turn around they are saying different causes it. When I had my first 3 kids they said to lay babies on thier side ,cause it was the best,then when I had my forth it was "put them on their back" ,so everytime you have a new baby there is always something different that you have to do or go through.
just my 2 cents worth,lol !!!

PS..I also don't think it makes me a bad parent for using them in my babies crib.

Luvz_ya
02-25-2007, 11:55 AM
When i had my 1st in 2002 they told me you were not allowed to use them in a crib....the health nurse told me this and made me take them out

Cherry Pop
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

When I was a baby 29 years ago and my daughter was a baby 9 years ago bumper pads were recommended. Now all of a sudden they aren't. As for SIDS they still aren't 100% sure what causes it! Also they say not to use baby walkers anymore but alot of parents still do (i didn't) does this make these parents irresponsible?

Mandi
02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Also they say not to use baby walkers anymore but alot of parents still do (i didn't) does this make these parents irresponsible?

Now that depends... it could.

nbnewfie
02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Well Bumper Pads or NO Bumper Pads!! I am a mother of 1, soon to be 2 and I used bumper pads for my daughter. For those of you who think that makes me a bad parent.. so be it!! I think that is ridiculous, maybe you are the bad parent and just trying to find excuses to make other people out to be the bad one!

I am a very responsible parent and take great pride on what a good mother that I am!

From my point of view, the health care critics are always coming up with reasons what causes SIDS.. baby sleeping on their stomach is another one.. funny thing if a baby is colicky the doctors will tell you to try putting them down on their stomach to prevent them from crying... but wait don't that cause SIDS???

Anyways, that is my 2 cents worth. Stop judging others, when maybe you should be judging yourselfs!!

Cherry Pop
02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
yes it could but if there are no stairs in that persons house and they are with the child the whole time it is in the walker, how can someone else judge if that person is an irresponsible parent! Anyways the point is there is no proof that bumper pads cause SIDS and to call someone an irresponsible parent for using them is crazy! I had my child in 1998 and back then I was told it is safer to use them so the child doesn't injure themselves on the bars. So that gives someone the right to call me an irresponsible parent because I did what I was told was the safer thing to do 9 years ago!! Are you kidding me? As for diseases and illnesses there are very few that doctors know for sure what causes them.

ames
02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I used bumper pads with both my boys because they were always and forever getting some limb caught between the slats in the crib (my crib was a new one too and the spaces were quite narrow). And they were both "wild" sleepers...without the bumper pads they would wake up crying because their head jammed against the side of the crib. At least with the bumper pads, their heads were proteced.

There sure is a lot of conflicting information about bumper pads. And not only that, either...about whether or not to use blankets, even. It's no wonder new parents are so full of anxiety when they first bring home a newborn.

care1978
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
every year the rules change on what is right and what is wrong when it comes to your child, and yes im sure that for the new mommies this year, the rules will be different also, i remember when they said, lay your baby on their stomache to sleep, it reduces the risk of sids, a few years later,it was the baby's side, and in 2005 when i had my youngest boy i was told to sleep him on his back, i can't quite figure out how bumper pads can increase the chances of SIDS happening, because.... the bumper pad doesnt block the entire rail off, and the top of the crib isnt closed off, so there is going to be air flow, i know i felt awful bad when my little guy got his leg stuck clear up to his hip, thats why i had to break the rail, and he had quite a bruise, when i called safety cananda about it they told me to board the rail up?! bc it is so much safer for my baby to play with nails ( sarcasm ) as far as im concerned it is the parent's choice whether or not they want to use bumper pads... if i have anymore children i know i will be using them again to prevent injuries like the ones my little guy has gotten.

Cartersmom
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
my ds was born in 2003 and I was hearing all over the place that bumper pads was a risk factor for sids, we never ever used a bumper pad (nor do we own one) and ds's limbs have never been caught in any spindles.
I would chance a minor bump on the head but I wouldnt be able to bring myself to put the bumper pads in when they increase the risk of sids.
better safe than sorry :)

andrea
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
easiest way to solve this is to call the hospital,,
neonatal
ask them
they deal with the high risk babies,
and i kno the rules are changing every year,,its because we do more research into things every year,,different trials, different tests,,studies,
before we didnt have to wear seat belts,,,now we do,,,
before we could drive with the baby in the front seat of the car,, now we dont,,
we as a people evolve...as does our knowledge
bottom line if you are *itching about something that would or could save your babies life,,then theirs a problem,,,
a bumped head or a sore leg is better than a dead baby,,,
i kno this first hand..

care1978
02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
hey... i feel like im being told in a not so direct way that if i use bumper pads im a bad parent.... not cool.... i was just giving my oppinion on the subject based on my experiences both with and without bumper pads... maybe i confused this site with one that people are actually allowed to have their oppinions without everyone passing judgement on that person, i always thought it was supposed to be that way, but guess i was wrong.

andrea
02-28-2007, 11:09 PM
we all care about our children ,,its shown here how ruffled we get,,
i m just saying ,they do the test for us,,to make sure our kids are safe,
if u use them then so be it,
i used bumper pads with my first son 13 years ago,,
red and white clowns...lol
im just saying ,,ive seen death from SIDS.. and i am positive that if their was a way they could have changed anything ,,they would have,,,in a min,
she still blames her self, he still blames him self...

care1978
03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
i gotcha!
ok so are there actual cribs you can buy without rungs? because although a bump on the head or arm or leg getting caught is obviously better than death.... what if one of the chubbier little ones gets caught in the rungs and ends up fracturing something, better than death;yes... but still pretty crappy, obviously people dont board up their kids cribs( like health canada suggested) so what can be done, doesnt seem fair for the little ones to have to be woken up because they are in pain and frightened,and possible could break one of their tiny bones, just curious what else there is out there for prevention of such accidents?

babydoll101
03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
we all care about our children ,,its shown here how ruffled we get,,
i m just saying ,they do the test for us,,to make sure our kids are safe,
if u use them then so be it,
i used bumper pads with my first son 13 years ago,,
red and white clowns...lol
im just saying ,,ive seen death from SIDS.. and i am positive that if their was a way they could have changed anything ,,they would have,,,in a min,
she still blames her self, he still blames him self...

If you would have seen my baby girls leg after it got stuck in the rungs you would think again. I realize you have a very strong opinion about these so why don't you make a petition to stop selling them in the stores. Obiviously some people in this world think they are safe or THEY WOULDN'T BE SELLING THEM!!!

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
, just curious what else there is out there for prevention of such accidents?

just to hopefully stop all this there are bumpers pads you can buy that have mess on them and it for air flo.they are save, i have seen them! to all the new moms do what you feel right with,you will see by reading this that everyone has their onw experience and sure some aren't nice but if you want to use them then spend the little extra and get the good ones that are ok.sure ladies its our kids we are talking about but there is no need to get all blown up about it.anyways i believe you can find these at sears not sure tho can't remember still have mommy brain!:p
here is a link for the pads i am talking about! they also have them at toys r us for about 25$ good luck!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2233935

babydoll101
03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Wow, OMG! I wish I would have known about those a long time ago. They would have absolutely prevented my daughter to do what she did to her leg. Thank you. That is so good to know.

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
are you being sincere or just rude?not sure how to take that thats all....i was trying to help the situation

care1978
03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
i wish i hadda known about them too ( seriously ) i definately would have gotten them instead of having to go out and buy a new crib becasue of my little guy's leg :(

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
i think they are just new cause i don't ever remember seeing them with my oldest and he is three.we just seen them when i was preggy with youngest and he is 5 1/2 months.sorry that happened to your babies,i thanks goodness have not had anything like that happen.

care1978
03-01-2007, 08:46 AM
thanks my oldest is 10 , and my youngest is 20 months.... so alot has changed compared to 10 years ago. nowadays they dont even want people using head huggers in car-seats, when i had my first son i can remember the nurse telling me if i didnt have bumper pads then i should get them adn also to buy one of those wedges that hold the baby on their side..... i can't wait to see whats new over the next few years.

babydoll101
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks alot I was being serious. For god sakes everyone on this site takes things the wrong way!!!

andrea
03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
right now i am busy raising money for the iwk,,
but i know that the nurse in the neonatal ward every time she goes into one of those stores that do sell the sets she says something,,,and shakes her head because nothing is done
maybe it will b my next thing i do,,:)
i am a pretty determined person...
i got the new play ground years ago for micheal cres because got signatures,,
because it was unsafe ,:)
so maybe this will be the next thing,,, looks like thsir would b alot of help !

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks alot I was being serious. For god sakes everyone on this site takes things the wrong way!!!

i only asked because like i said i didn't know how to take it....everyone always jumps down everyone elses throats on here so i really didn't know anyways....just thought i would try and help

babydoll101
03-01-2007, 09:16 AM
And you did. I read it to someone and they can't see how you would think I was being rude!!!! I thought it was awesome. I wish I would have known about it. I am done!!!

care1978
03-01-2007, 09:17 AM
right now i am busy raising money for the iwk,,
but i know that the nurse in the neonatal ward every time she goes into one of those stores that do sell the sets she says something,,,and shakes her head because nothing is done
maybe it will b my next thing i do,,:)
i am a pretty determined person...
i got the new play ground years ago for micheal cres because got signatures,,
because it was unsafe ,:)
so maybe this will be the next thing,,, looks like thsir would b alot of help !
that must have been over 15 years ago..... im in the process of getting one put in where i live there used to be one and they tore it down, so now the kids are lighting the hallways on fire, flattening people's tires and fist fighting in the yards no wonder the east side has gone down hill considerably over the years... there isnt anything for the kids to do, no community center, no after school programs...etc...

care1978
03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
i dont think she was trying to suggest you weren't being sincere, you must admit it is sometimes hard to tell whether or not someone is being snarky or cool, i know i find it hard sometimes, anyway just foolishness as far as im concerned, and completely off topic( not aimed at you directly)

ChelorSean
03-01-2007, 09:58 AM
i dont think she was trying to suggest you weren't being sincere, you must admit it is sometimes hard to tell whether or not someone is being snarky or cool, i know i find it hard sometimes, anyway just foolishness as far as im concerned, and completely off topic( not aimed at you directly)

Thank you!