PDA

View Full Version : female cats

jiggypat23
02-24-2007, 11:56 AM
i have a general question, this is my first time having a female cat, shes strictly an indoor cat and just hitting 6 months old, 2 days ago the poor little thing started going in heat, now my question is, how long do female cats stay in heat for? oh and thankfully shes not loud and annonying lol shes a quiet cat, so i barely hear her meow or moan if you want to call it that lol

user5624
02-24-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.petcaretips.net/heat_pregnancy_cat.html

Cats are polyestrus, which means females can have many heat periods in each breeding season. Each heat period lasts between 5-14 days. If she is mated, the cat will usually go out of heat within 24 hours.

Breeding season in the Northern hemisphere is during the months of late winter and early spring (March-September). Indoor-cats or cats living in warm climates can go into heat and become pregnant more than once during the breeding season.

When in heat, the cat may display several signs. These may vary between breeds and even between individual cats. Signs include the famous calling (loud meowing), increased appetite and restlessness. Many cats begin to roll on the floor and demand to be petted. Some cats may begin to spray urine around the house.

If the cat is not mated and does not become pregnant, she can go into heat repeatedly every 2-3 weeks. This means that if your cat goes into heat - you can't simply keep her locked up at home, waiting for it to go away. Unless you spay the cat, she will keep going into heat practically every month.

jiggypat23
02-24-2007, 04:24 PM
thanks nbchick, i'm hoping to get her in to be spayed soon, and i know she cant be when shes still in heat, so i guess its going to be quite crazy around here till i can get her in, till then i feel bad she keeps trying to get it on with my cordless phone lol poor cordless phone....

user5624
02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Indeed, poor phone lol Poor you if she gets to it o_O :)
Hopefully you can get her in soon. Cats heat cycles are pretty persistant and can become very annoying.