PDA

View Full Version : Please Remeber to Stop for a School Bus

Mandy
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Just would like to "kindly" remind everyone who drives, that if there is a school bus stopped, unloading children of all ages, with the lights flashing, Please, Please, Please, DO NOT PASS THE BUS or NOT come to a full STOP!!!!I am having a horrible time with my son's school bus stop; which is located at the intersection of Millidge Avenue and Spar Cove Road (yes Spar Cove Road, not Spar Cove HIGHWAY) for those of you who do not signal and just speed down there......

I have taken photos of these cars and license plate numbers; but have been told that because I can't ID the driver, nothing can be done!!!! I took a license number, description of the car- Black Honda Civic, Tinted Windows, Diamond Taxi, and can ID this driver, called Diamond Taxi, and nothing was done!!!!! I am getting fed up.

Each day the children are let out and I would say 3 out of 5 days people decide they will pull around the bus, or try and squeeze behind it to turn down Spar Cove Road. I have complained to the police department and to the schoolboard; nothing is done. I have asked to have the bus stop moved about 20 feet before this current location so that the children would be let off on a sidewalk; and was told no. I have asked for the bus to turn onto Tartan Street, as bus 22 for District 1 does to pick up a highschool student, and was told it is not far off the main road enough and it is a narrow road.

So I am asking everyone to please remember there are children exiting these big yellow busses with red flashing lights! Please try and remember that and practice safe driving. Someone is going to get hit; would you want it to be your child???? Because I certainly do not want it to be mine!!!!

Mandi
02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
i'm glad you're taking the time to call all these people, but I am Apauled that nothing is being done about it! I thought it was against the law to pass a school bus? With lisence plates, why won't they do anything?

Rickster
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
WHY doesn't the school bus driver report this as it is his/her responsibility and I'm sure they would act on it then..If I were you,I'd talk to the driver in question !!! Surely there is something wrong here !!! Either they don't believe you or they have already question the driver who dissagrees with you.-Rick.

Mandy
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
The driver is aware; and they do make out reports, but unless you can positvely ID the driver; well we are out of luck. Unfortunately when I am trying to get my son off the road as a car comes towards us, I don't always have time to look directly at the driver. I figure it is more important to be sure he is not hit. Our bus driver wails on his horn and they still keep passing!

Yesterday I actually had to step out off the sidewalk, onto the middle of the road to stop a car from hitting my son and another girl, and she had the nevre to swerve around us waving her arms at us! She drove a gold cavelier, and was older, but I did not get her plate number. It is very frustrating.
I have had the police send a car to watch; but unfortunately the police car sort of gives it away. People see the car parked there and they abide by the driving rules!

It is a fine to pass a school bus when it is unloading or loading passengers. Apparently the school board does not seem to think it is that big of an issue, as I am the only one complaining!

I figured if I voiced my concern here, maybe one of those drivers would read this, or if anything just make people aware that someone is going to get hit.

That intersection is dangerous on a good day; and elementary school children have to stand there trying to cross the road each morning to get the bus. I have counted 20+ cars drive by me and my son and others as we try to cross the road. There is a cross walk there, a cross walk sign; and still no one stops!

So, once again, if you drive by there in the morning rushing to get to work, remember the kids ok. Thanks!

Mandi
02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe you could try going to the news about this ?I don't know how you would, but this is frustrating for me even, and I live no where near there. I can't believe people are being so disrespectful of young human lives.

karen
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I would file a complain and a report with the police. I know there were concerns and issues with the school my stepchildren go to and they had a police car stationed there in the morning to monitor the situation. Something has to be done about your situation, it's a very serious matter!
Best of luck,

sjchickie
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
WOW im disgusted that nothing has been done. If our children cant feel safe getting off the bus than thats a real problem. I remember last year the was an article in the newspaper about the same thing except this was mount pleasant avenue east where it was happening and the girls daughter just about got run over, they were within inches of creaming this 6 year old.
You know what Taxi drivers are a whole nother issue they make me sick 98% of the time. Today i was driving down king (in a bit of a hurry I had a test) and here is a diamond taxi stopped in the middle of a THIN 2 way street talking to what looked to me like some bum making jokes...and here he is just sitting there...traffic lined up behind me... and im LAYING on the horn and he did NOTHING.
As for people speeding my the bus wow its disgusting...if these people only understood the guilt they would feel if they ended up running over a 6 year old. Food for thought: when i was about 8 years old living in lakewood height, it was a beautiful summer night i remember and our neighbours had been visiting with her 2 kids...she went off to get the bus and not 5 mins later she was speeding up the street. The bus was parked about 15 feet down from our house and some guy in a big truck had Hit and killed this 16 year old getting off the bus and heading across the street. It was an awful scene and i remember they ushered me into the house. But my father told me recently that he knew the man and the guilt he felt was unbearable and that it had ruined his life....So i ask you speeders driving by the buses....do you wanna spend the rest of your life mourning the death of a child that YOU hit by being careless???? I think not....

ceg
02-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I would not only contact the local newspaper and any news stations, I would also ask the police to sit there again but in one of their ghost cars. They know people play by the rules when you see a car with lights on the top, but if it just looks like a normal car they won't think anything of it and possibly try to pass, and get caught.

ja9#nbnet.nb.ca
02-23-2007, 06:26 AM
oh pet peeves of mine, i never really reply to these posts but i had to today. it's a crying shame that the drivers of today are much too concerned with the phonecall they are having than paying attention to any sort of road rules. I personally have seen more "almost" accidents due to at least one of the drivers talking on their cel phones.... it is really scary to be driving near one of these "multi-taskers". (some might i add can barely chew gum and talk at the same time let alone drive with one hand glued to the side of their head, I think they think it makes them look/feel important) anyway a bit off topic however my 10 year old has to get off the bus on welsley ave and it is a pretty busy street and people have actually passed the school bus there as well, with a phone glued to their ear they aren't thinking about the rules of the road, they are much to engaged in the conversation they're having and getting to timmy's as FAST as possible !!! another thing is it really won't sound too cute telling the police you really don't know what happened because you were on the phone, and you just didn't see the little one................ it is a sad story that people aren't more concerned over the safety of our children, I personally ALWAYS stop to let any pedestrian cross the street, it may anger alot of people behind me who slam on thier brakes because they weren't paying attention to everyone around them. But i can't help it, and it makes me feel wonderful because I always do unto others as I would like things done for me or my son..... the golden rule is still out there, but barely , I wish it was more like it was when I was a little girl, but i grew up in the country, it was alot different over there!!! anyway that's my rant and you just need to keep calling the police, making reports, calling the school board and make your voice LOUD and CLEAR.... Protect our kids...it's the least they deserve....safetly, protection, the ability to cross the street safely when the school bus stops to let them off........it's everyones responsibility, just make sure the little ones are safe thats all.........thanks everyone for listening:confused:

jdcb
02-23-2007, 07:46 AM
call the police station, ask them to have an officer sitting there for a week or two when this happens...

marriedchickie
02-23-2007, 08:02 AM
It's a shame that it's come to having post this problem here. It should never have gotten this far. I applaud your efforts so far, and am ashamed that nothing has been done. We grew up in Lorneville, and if anyone knows the area, it was the ony way to get to colson cove generating station until they put in the new highway piece that goes behind the houses. When we went out for the bus, it was a danger just getting across the road. They didn't slow down at all. Amen nobody was ever hit, but wo of our dogs were hit.

I find that now living in the city limits, and walking a lot with the children, even at crosswalks i'm extremely nervous. I've waited until there was nothing coming, and then out of no where, someone flies down the street, talking on their cell phone and then they lock up their brakes and look right at me and shrug their shoulders as if saying, oh well, i'm on the phone, what can i say. Meanwhile, i've just about had a heart attack and my daughter, whom i've pulled back towards me is crying and shaking. Road rage while walking?...hhmmmmm. I wanted nothing more than to go to the car, grab the phone and smash it on the ground. I called the police and nothing happened.

A phone is a convenience (?) and driving is a PRIVILGE not a RIGHT. And causing death or even injury while doing both, well I hope you can live with yourself.

murraydow
02-23-2007, 10:20 AM
It is an every day occurance to have people drive through the the flashing red lights, and that is unacceptable behavour for anyone.
What is worse is when a bus driver files a report and misses work to go to court only to be questioned like a criminal at the trial and in the end see the accused found not guilty because the driver has a lawyer that knows how to turn things in his favour.
I would be interested in hearing how many charges result in convictions.
I bet you would be more discusted in these results.

The_Dave
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I find it hard to believe that if the bus driver is WRITING down the license plate numbers of cars passing the bus when the RED lights are flashing (which is what they are suppose to do) and these get reported to police that the police are not going to this person's house and giving them the appropriate ticket. This has been my understanding of how this was done. You should not have to prove who was driving, only that this car passed a school bus when the red lights were flashing. It would be much like getting a parking ticket, or having your vehicle's picture taken when it was speeding, It matters not who was driving, the owner is responsible because driving is a privilege, not a right. We all as licensed drivers and car owners KNOW this.

Sounds to me like there is a serious break down in the process. Now if cars are passing before the bus stops and the lights are flashing yellow, even though this is sheer stupidity on the person driving that vehicle, I believe this is allowed, except if they are passing the bus where there is a SOLID yellow line painted on the road because we ALL know you cannot pass on a solid yellow line.

murraydow
02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
The period between the time of the report and the trial is normally six months. The bus driver is required to remember exact details about the offender.
This person could cut their hair, shave a beard off, or something as simple as remove their glasses and the bus driver is required to identify them without question. If they can't do this the offender is found not guilty.
The bus driver not only has to write down all of the information at the time of the offence, but at the same time, keep control of the 70 or so children behind them.
They should not be put in this position.
Their job is to get the kids to and from school safely, and do not need any
unnecessary distractions.

The_Dave
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
murraydow I understand everything you have said, and I would not want to be a bus driver. If the police indeed follow through than that is where a statement of what happened would come into effect. Also there are usually parents at these stops who help to monitor children. Their statements would help also. The bus driver is indeed responsible for the children embarking and disembarking, BUT also to watch for cars passing on the flashing red light. I have seen numerous times bus drivers writing down license plate numbers.

Again I said earlier, I always believed that this is the way people passing school buses with flashing red lights get handled, but maybe not. That would be a shame.

Mandy
02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I was told by an officer, they approached the owner of the vehicle I have the license plate of and picture of; but because I could not ID the driver that there was nothing that could be done.

I wish I had a camcorder because I truly don't believe that the schoolboard realize how bad it is, and I know for a fact it would shock them to see these people passing the bus.

There is a solid line, so there is no excuse. It is right in front of the Friendly's/Pizza Shack on the Millidge Avenue/Spar Cove Road intersection.
If the bus was permitted to stop a few feet before this, which I was told no, then the children would be let out onto a sidewalk and because there is a bit of a hill there; the cars would not be able to pass.

I think I am going to have to get a petition and have it signed by the students and their families and bring it in myself. I am so frustrated about this, it is overwhelming.

I am looking forward to the March Break!

The_Dave
02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
This might be a bit much but if it were me and I was at the bus stop every day to greet them, I would get an orange vest and a stop sign and stand, NOT in the middle but off to the side somewhat off the road and hold out the sign. You should not have to do this but I would for the safety of my child and all the others.

Stiill can't believe the police will do nothing, even with eyewitnesses. Blows me away. Have you tried talking to common council or even contacting the Police Chief, or even a different Police officer?

je12122
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I am finding all this to be a little suspicious if you ask me. My friends little brother got caught last year going past a stopped school bus with the red lights on and he kept going. The bus driver reported it to the police with the license number and the cops came to my friends Mom's door. Well for the longest time no one could figure out who had been driving cause the mother worked shift work and was sleeping and my friend's brother was supposed to be at school. Well finally the boy caved in and admitted he had cuffed school and stole the car when his mother was sleeping..but regardless the cop was going to fine the mother because it was her car.

so i don't believe it at all that they can't fine you without identifying the actual indivdual, The cop was going to fine the mother as she was the owner of the car and she is responsible for whoever drives her car. It's not up to the police to keep track of that.

Mandy
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, I am sorry to say, that is what the officer told me as well as the other parents.

I was told that in person.

I am collecting information now; and will be heading to the media very soon!

Rae_Maill
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I think if you lend your car to someone, whether it is your own kids or not that if they pass school buses or do something else that would cause a fine then the person who owns the car should be held responsible, you wouldn't lend your car to that person again would you

Marigold
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Sadly, what Mandy says about identifying the driver is true. Last September, my son and I were crossing Loch Lomond Road, at the lights by Loch Lomond Road. Three cars sped through the red light, the third one came extremely close to hitting us. Because this is an EVERY DAY occurence, I keep a pad of paper in my purse just to write down plate numbers. I got the plate number, a description of the vehicle and even could tell that it was an older gray haired man wearing a vest like the city workers have. I called the police, yet again, and lo and behold, they agreed to charge the guy. I went to court two weeks ago, only to find out that because I couldn't positively identify the guy, there was nothing they could do. I wasted my morning, and really nothing got solved. Apparently, I not only need to get the license plate number, the description of the car and a general description of the driver, I need a photographic memory and a camcorder! It shouldn't matter who was driving the car, they should charge the owner, unless he can prove his car had been stolen!

s

Rae_Maill
02-27-2007, 02:25 PM
exactly, thank you

je12122
02-27-2007, 02:39 PM
It is the owner they will fine, at least in the case I was talking about it was.

The_Dave
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
That doesn't seem right Marigold. They can take a picture of your license plate in some areas of the country if your are speeding or running the tolls and the owner of the car gets fined, but here you have a live eyewitness and when you do and you cannot postively identify the driver, but you CAN positively identify the vehicle, NOTHING happens. I think someone is dropping the ball here somewhere.

Good for you Mandi, this needs to be brought to the media's attention. Might I suggest taking pictures. I hear that digital cameras can take video also.

Babs
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I beleive that you can find out who the owner of the car is BUT you have to be tricky...if you know the license plate number you can contact motor vehicle and for a FEE (i think its under 8.00..not sure) they will provide you with the name of the owner however they will only release the name on certain conditions so basically to find out you have to LIE...like the car is in your space in a lot or its outside your bldg and looks abandoned,etc etc etc...a friend used to contact them as she had a situation and needed to know who the driver of a vehicile was and she did the above and they told her!!!
Does your child go to EMNS? Mine does and I can get her to spread the word as well.
Good Luck!!!

linder9
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Mandy i work as a bus attendant on a special needs bus... i go by your childs stop eveyday ..will look out for the driver of the car. i'll let you know if i get a discription....Hope that it helps. I definitley know how you feel , having to cross with exceptional needs children...

Mandi
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi,
I beleive that you can find out who the owner of the car is BUT you have to be tricky...if you know the license plate number you can contact motor vehicle and for a FEE (i think its under 8.00..not sure) they will provide you with the name of the owner however they will only release the name on certain conditions so basically to find out you have to LIE...like the car is in your space in a lot or its outside your bldg and looks abandoned,etc etc etc...a friend used to contact them as she had a situation and needed to know who the driver of a vehicile was and she did the above and they told her!!!
Does your child go to EMNS? Mine does and I can get her to spread the word as well.
Good Luck!!!

Y ou can also do a search on the inter for liscense plate look ups, it costs $15 and takes 3 days but you get their name and phone number... Wouldn't it be nice to call them and say. 'What you doing ? learn 2 drive!'

01_neon_rider
02-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Its sad and I see it happen all the time, i live in quispamsis and one day i was comin home and stoped for a school bus that was stoped right passed the liquor store (for those of you who know the area that is right where the two lanes merge into one)And i was watching my rear veiw mirror and this car was speeding right up the hill and passed my car right on the inside of the lane it was a good thing that the bus had just stoped so the kids hadent made it that far across! And if the lane wasnt wider there she would have plowed right into the back of my car. I also constantly see kids waiting at crosswalks while drivers speed right by. this is crazy they should have an undercover cop car parked close to the bus stop on millidge Avenue and spar cove road maybe then they might catch sombody! It is a shame that people care more about where they are goin than small children's lives:mad:

Mandy
03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes, this bus is coming from Ecole Millidgeville North, Bus #88. The driver is great and always is watching, but it is the cars that try and pass him.

As for those doubting that unless the driver can be identified nothing can be done; well I could be wrong HOWEVER I was told by an officer and other school bus drivers, that unless I can ID the driver, no charges can be made.

All that I want is for the kids to be dropped off at the corner of Forbes Drive and Millidge Avenue, onto the sidewalk, instead of Spar Cove Road.

It is only a few meters back, I don't understand what the big deal is???

In the meantime I stand each day waiting for my son to get off the bus and hope the cars slow down.

So, if you drive by the Spar Cove Road/Millidge Avenue area between 2:30-2:45 (grades K-2) or 3:30-3:45 (grades 3-8) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Slow down!!!

The_Dave
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Mandy, no one is doubting you, I am doubting the system. Something is wrong. What is the sense in the school bus having flashing red lights if you can just drive by and unless someone positively identifies them, nothing can be done, even if you have their license plate # and make and model of their vehicle.. Something is wrong.

Mandy
03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, the article was published in the paper.
Lets hope some people read it and remember to slow down!