PDA

View Full Version : calcium chloride vs salt

puppyluv
12-10-2006, 02:12 PM
just an fyi for ya's..
calcium chloride is easier on vegetation, concrete and pavement than salt is.
it also doesnt track white into teh house etc and will keep on working up till -32 degree's..Nor does it need sun to work..so while it does cost more, it also lasts linger and goes farther.

icedragon
12-16-2006, 06:48 AM
(taken from my text books )
Calcium Chloride is very hygroscopic, and can asborb more than just water possibly resulting in the emmision of toxic fumes. May form hydrogen chloride in presence of sulfuric or phosphoric acids or with water at elevated temperatures. The temperature range is from 32 c to 770 c. Metals will corrode in aqueous calcium chloride solutions. Aluminum (and alloys) and yellow brass will be attacked by Calcium Chloride more rapidly. Calcium Chloride is exothermic and it will burn the skin, eyes, respiratory tract. Harmful for you and your pets if inhaled or swallowed. (mainly being exothermic)
So, everyone is probally asking "Is what this failed analytical chemist telling me true? It's harmful but I have been eating it for years" Thats right, I did not complete university. Although I have worked in the field for years thanks to friends. The last statement is also true. Everyone has probally been eating it for years. From a website on Calcium Chloride, Here is a small list of the uses:
--Aided by the intense heat evolved during its dissolution, calcium chloride is also used as an ice-melting compound. Unlike the more-common sodium chloride (rock salt or halite), it is relatively harmless to plants and soil. It is also more effective at lower temperatures than sodium chloride. When distributed for this use, it usually takes the form of small white balls a few millimetres in diameter, called prills
--It is used in concrete mixes to help speed up the initial setting. However chloride ion leads to corrosion of steel rebars, so it should not be used in reinforced concrete.
--It is used for dust control on some highways, as its hygroscopic nature keeps a liquid layer on the surface of the roadway, which holds dust down.
--Calcium chloride tastes extremely salty and is used an ingredient in some foods, especially pickles, to give a salty taste while not increasing the food's sodium content.
--It's also used as an ingredient in canned vegetables to maintain firmness.
--Used as an additive in plastics.
--Used as an ingredient in the Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bar
--Used as a drainage aid for wastewater treatment.
--Aqueous Calcium Chloride is used in genetic transformation of cells by increasing the cell membrane permeability. This allows DNA fragments to enter the cell more readily.
--Tire ballast
--Additive in fire extinguishers
--Additive to control scaffolding in blast furnaces
--It can be used to make ersatz caviar from vegetable or fruit juices. [2]
--It is used in Smartwater and some sports drinks as an Electrolyte
--It is used to make Fabric softner thinner.

If it's bad why is the fda (cfia in canada) allowing it's use? The fact is, there is not alot known about the long term effects on the human body. It's a hard substance to regulate. Remember when can food was sealed with lead? Lead toxicity was first recognized as early as 2000 BC. Why did it take so long to get rid of lead sealed cans? Because not enough was known

icedragon
12-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Forgot to mention, we use it and work and it really melts ice well