PDA

View Full Version : Dumping!!!

Smash
02-21-2007, 07:50 AM
:mad: :mad: It was a nice drive to work today... until I got to the spot where some IDIOT (for lack of a better word and one that I can say on here) decided they were going to dump their living room furniture that they didnt want anymore on the side of the road. Unbelievable, that people are that rude. If you can afford to buy new furniture, than maybe you can splurge a bit and find a way to dispose of the old stuff. Doesnt the city take away that stuff once or twice a year anyway? It wasnt even that bad looking (I only saw it from the road though) and I'm sure it could have been given away to someone who could use it. I hope this person is VERY proud of themselves, it takes a big person to show up in the dark and DUMP your garbage on the side of the road. They didnt even want to keep the tarp either that they used to hide it until they got it there, cause thats on the side of the road too!!! :mad: :mad:

Lemme_LQQK
02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
The following year after they stopped the Spring Clean Up program ( irritated me to no end) it was time to replace our sofa.

We took the sofa and took it apart piece by piece, material / foam / wood frame / and springs, ( it was a sectional couch ) and put it in large garbage bags and set it out to the garbage bin ( this was before recycle day was in effect ) for garbage day.

I know this sounds goofy , but it was really something to see what a sofa is actually made of , cheap cheap cheap....lolol but we got rid of it and didn't have to leave the yard .
It was kind of funny to see such a large sofa reduced toa few garbage bags...lol

morbidterrors
02-21-2007, 08:53 AM
hahahahahaha, that is to a tee how i got rid of my couch, chopped it up and sent it on it's way

Smash
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Good for both of you, it beats seeing it lying on the side of the road somewhere.

Smash
02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
The other thing about where it was dumped, is that it is right next the City of Saint John Water Supply..... I wasnt allowed to put a shed up on my property near the watershed unless I got a permit, and this is where people are dumping.....

sjchickie
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
When i was living east side last summer we needed an old couch and chair taken away. All we had to do was call this number for the city(it is a specific one i remember my mom had it on hand and not me lol) and your allowed 6 things a year to pick up...so they put your name on a list and when the truck is coming your way they give ya a call....so the night before we had to drag it all out to the curb and leave it there....and they had picked it up the next morning.
Dumping is silly but a lot of people do it as they KNOW the city will be along very shortly to come get it....still wrong..but if you wanna dump just get this number they will come get it for free...HOWEVER i do miss spring clean up lol

dan j
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I miss garbage pickers.

Smash
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
LOL!! :rofl:

Eremda
02-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Try walking through the woods anywhere in this city. People are dumping illegally everywhere. I have encountered large stashes of car body parts, obviously from a body shop, huge piles of old computers and their various components, building supplies of all sorts, especially shingles. All sorts of household waste, furniture, appliances and the list goes on. All of these things I found around the Res on Loch Lomond Road. It has a fairly easy access for trucks and lots of deserted roads and wooded areas and ponds that I'm sure are full of old cars and anything else you could imagine. I would like to see someone caught and made an example of. A huge fine and maybe jail time. This needs to be stopped. I am sure that this dumping is taking place everywhere.

Spring clean up was a huge help and lower dumping fees at the land fill would certainly be a step in the right direction.

vanessalynn5484
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I miss garbage pickers.
This reminds me of my beloved grampy (God rest his soul). He was a bit of a garbage picker (soooo embaressing! LOL But I was just a little girl :rofl:) He was amazing at it, he would find something fix it or clean it up and give it away or put it up at his camp. Keep in mind he was raised on a farm during the depression where they basically had nothing. Anyways your post made me think of him, I miss him too! :p

Smash
02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I had a father in law just like that.... and I remember the Christmas that we all got exercise wheels as gifts cause he found a big stash that one of the department stores had thrown out..... Gotta love them though right? :biggrin:

They knew how to make ends meet with very little...:D

Mandi
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
That sucks. I remember when I was pregnant for my first and I lived with my mommy and sister, and ended up taking over my sister's room. She had a large sofa in there we didn't want, so we got a knife, and a hammer, and tearing that thing apart was the most fun I'd had in a long time! Why don't people do that? or just post on here that they're giving it away? o.0 heck, call me, I'll bash it to pieces for you, it's fun!

Smash
02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
:rofl:

domarloc
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
We have a huge firepit in our backyard and we have burnt a great many old couches and chairs in our fire pit over the last couples years. Our neighbours even bring them to us to get rid of for them. Who needs firewood ....we've got furniture!! What can I say....we're from the country!! (And just for good measure, the furniture we burnt was garbage and not worth giving away)

bonste
02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
:mad: :mad: It was a nice drive to work today... until I got to the spot where some IDIOT (for lack of a better word and one that I can say on here) decided they were going to dump their living room furniture that they didnt want anymore on the side of the road. Unbelievable, that people are that rude. If you can afford to buy new furniture, than maybe you can splurge a bit and find a way to dispose of the old stuff. Doesnt the city take away that stuff once or twice a year anyway? It wasnt even that bad looking (I only saw it from the road though) and I'm sure it could have been given away to someone who could use it. I hope this person is VERY proud of themselves, it takes a big person to show up in the dark and DUMP your garbage on the side of the road. They didnt even want to keep the tarp either that they used to hide it until they got it there, cause thats on the side of the road too!!! :mad: :mad:

We seen this today too on our way into town! What a to do this! I agree it didn't look too bad of shape either.

vanessalynn5484
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
LOL that is awesome, I can just imagine the looks of joy on your faces Christmas morning :rofl:

I had a father in law just like that.... and I remember the Christmas that we all got exercise wheels as gifts cause he found a big stash that one of the department stores had thrown out..... Gotta love them though right? :biggrin:

They knew how to make ends meet with very little...:D

Cherry Pop
02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I miss garbage picking! Last year I drove out to Rothesay during their spring cleanup. I got a really nice wooden shelf for my bedroom (it looked brand new, nothing wrong with it) and my daughter picked up some really nice kids books someone was throwing out. I also picked up a really nice white bookshelf! I gotta find out the date for their spring cleanup this year!!

care1978
02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
I miss garbage picking! Last year I drove out to Rothesay during their spring cleanup. I got a really nice wooden shelf for my bedroom (it looked brand new, nothing wrong with it) and my daughter picked up some really nice kids books someone was throwing out. I also picked up a really nice white bookshelf! I gotta find out the date for their spring cleanup this year!!
i love spring cleanup in Rothesay! great finds, and almost everything is near new or looks to be! wish i had the kind of money to just throw away a $900 dining set!must be nice! im a firm believer that one man's trash is another Man's treasure

Smash
02-22-2007, 08:29 AM
So am I....

It's amazing what some people think is junk... :eek:

Rickster
02-22-2007, 01:45 PM
This is why I suggest to people that if they are paying someone $20-30.00 to haul stuff to the dump for them,that, at that rate, the stuff never gets there as it cost that much just for the dump fee(household garbage/construction material is cheaper). I, myself usually bring back the receipt to prove to people that it did get there. So if you all want to help curb this problem then ask them to bring you back a receipt from the dump to prove it got there, instead of some side road as the 'low-lifes' do to pocket a larger profit !! - Rick.

dan j
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I was just being playful. People who can save something from the junk yard and make use of it are great and should be congratulated.

Rickster
02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Duh....Yea ..ok Dan j......go back to sleep now,LOL,lol. -Rick.

kimbey76
02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
rickster has hauled some of my junk away for me before and i can vouch that he does bring back the receipt for you :) that way you know it went to the dump and he isnt getting stuck paying too much for your load of garbage once it gets there, i gave him extra money and he was even going to give me the change!

HitByABus
02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
:biggrin:
Made me choke.....I miss garbage pickers.

CrazyPeanut
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
we do the same thing. Our house to have floor to ceiling panelling..what we do? Put it in the firepit? Dog ripped the couch apart, lets burn it. The chair does not match, lets burn it. Best friend got a new couch lives in apt building and gets a new couch, FIRE TIME. We live in the country too..just make sure there are no clothes on the clothes lineppppp yoooooo....

Rickster
03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
THANKS !! Kimbey. - Rick.