PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic Cat

Trish
02-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, I have mastered giving insulin and she doesn't even care when the needle goes in. Have to give it twice a day.

The vet is to expensive and she gets too upset going there each week so I am going to try home testing this weekend and then start weaning her off dry food which is high carb onto low carb wet food, if I am any good at testing and she is doing well.

It seems cats should not be eating dry cat food after all. It isn't natural that a cat has grains and other carbs in the food. A cat's diet is mice and there isn't much carb to that. A cat that has diabetes has likely been fed dry food all of its life, one site I went to said. Mine certainly has. I thought high protein was hard on a cats kidney's. Apparently not unless they have kidney problems anyway.

There is a slight chance the cat could go into remission once started on the low carb wet food. I got all the information off the internet sites on diabetic cats. They were so helpful and informative. The vet told me nothing about diet or how bad off she was or anything, just to keep bringing her back. I hope the home testing becomes as easy as the injections of the insulin. I have to prick my poor baby's ear to get the blood. I hate to do it but I have no choice if I want to find out how things are and whether to increase or decrease her insulin.

Anyone else dealing with this? There other tips I found out if anyone else has a sugar baby.

whisperedsin
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
You might be interested in learning that I have a box of Feline Insulin Needles for sale. My cat too was diagnosed with Diabetes and put on insulin - had a bad reaction and died the next day. I had purchased a box of 30 needles for $20. Would like to sell the remaining 28 syringes. I was asking $15 for them. Have to try to recoop some of the fortune I spent in her final 2 days.
Anyhow, saw your ad and thought I'd let you know.