PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy - abcess tooth

miss_daisie
02-20-2007, 01:10 PM
For the past few days I've been having bad migrains and a sharp pain under my left eye and on Sun evening it seemed to spred to my jaw. I thought nothing of it at first because I read that during pregnancy dental problems can become more frequent. Last night my face started to get swollen around 7ish. and come 2am it was really swollen.
I took the day off work because I Was up all night and just didnt think I could manage it. I wanted to go to the hopsital. So I went in this morning and was there from 9-12:30 they hooked me up on an IV for about half an hour and want me back in tomarrow for another one. They dont want to give me a script for anything becauseI am pregnant. My b/f has called around to about a dozen places trying to find a dentist I can get into to get this taken care of. But I don't have any money itll march first. and we cant find anyone that has a payment plan available... I don't have a dentist of my own... and any of the ones the hospital recommended dont have payment plans...
My b/f just got off the phne with tella care to see what I can do about the pain in the mean time. I have to go back to work tomarrow.. and after works when I go for my IV again... Does anyone know of any dentists that offer a payment plan? or may be able to help me out here? I dont have credit cards or anything like that as I am still pretty younge. Im kinda out of ideas... and I cant bare to just sit here and wait the days away for an answer to fall to me...
any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

orange
02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
One good option might be to try and get an overdraft on your bank account (or your boyfriend on his account).

Most banks let you do that even over the phone... or if you go into a bank, the bank rep may try a bit harder since they can see you're in pain (although whether you get approved or not is basically up to the automated system).

Another option, if you have good references from past employers or school teachers, is maybe if you call up a few dentists and explain your situation, and offer up those references to confirm that you're good for the payment -- then maybe the dentist would work something out?

I can understand why they don't have payment plans though, because in general, it can be too much work to keep after people to pay bills if they don't pay upfront.

The other option is to apply for a credit card. If you don't have much of a credit history, then you can probably get a credit card with a fairly low limit, and it would likely arrive in about a week or 2.

Another idea is to see if your employer would give you an advance on your pay, so you can get this fixed up now (probably better for the employer too), and you would pay them back gradually.

Good luck and I hope it works out!

Luvz_ya
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Oh god... whatever you do DO NOT put ice or cold on your gum/tooth like i did it makes it SOOO much worse , like i couldnt go 4 seconds with out ice on mine !! you should call my dentist , but hes out in hampton .. You should call and get someone to give you a refurral to Dr. Craft or even call his office and talk to them they are really nice but you need a refurral so i would call a dentist and ask for an appointment to get one, it will cost you about 50 dollars =\

Lisa_morris
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
My dentist name is Dr Bonner him and his twin have an office over east. Im pretty sure he offers payment plans, you could always call and ask. I have really bad kidney pains and I am pregnant as well. With my first pregnancy they gave me Tylenol3 and Demerol but with this pregnancy Ive refused the pain killers. Extra strength Advil works great, it wont fix the problem but it may help you sleep at night.

amethyst
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
deleted...preferred to answer through pm

kimbey76
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
a hot water bottle on the side of your face can help with pressure and pain, also if your gums and tooth are hurting you can use liquid anbesol, it works very well, pretty sure it is ok to use when pregnant, tylenol is always safe in pregnancy, advil is safe up until the last trimester, advil is usually better for inflamation type pain, maybe you know someone who can loan you a bit of money initially and then pay the rest of it off after

Mandi
02-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Advil is NOT something you want to take while pregnant. Tylenol however is safe.

Misty589
02-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes do not take advil. Usually reg strength tylenol is recommended for pregnancy but if you are in severe pain you can take extra strength.
How far along are you?
I'm 4 months right now and have 3 wisdom teeth coming in and I have an ulcer in my mouth right behind one of the wisdom teeth, I know what you're going through!!
I'm waiting until after I have the baby to have anything done because my condition is not causing harm to myself or my fetus, but I think that an absess can be toxit to you and your baby so i would have it taken care of as soon as you can. Mar 1 is less than 2 weeks away, you should make an appointment for the first to make sure you get in asap

amclure
02-20-2007, 05:45 PM
There is a dentist in Quispamsis/Rothesay don't know which side they consider him. He is on the Pettingill Road. Apparently he takes payments...I don't know I have never used him.

And yes when I was in emergency last week for pain they said no Advil when you are pregnant. It can cause heart defects. But you can take up to 6 extra strength tylenol a day. And if your not used to it that is a lot.

Hope you get your tooth fixed

6sixstring6
02-20-2007, 06:48 PM
The dentist on pettingill is a SHE. her name is Diane Liscumbe. I am a patient and as far as I know she doesn't take payments or at least I pay everytime I go.

miss_daisie
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey everyone. Thank you very much for all your replies. and concerns.
Weve called around to a few more dentists and all weve gotten is no payment plans OR they wont touch me until my infection is gone. So basicly Ive been told to wait until its gone. Docs say tomarrow I have anothe rIV drip and that should really help it be pritnear gone. Not sure where things are going to go from there. I figure take one step at a time to get this thing cleared up. I've been taking tylonal but thats all I will. Its actually feeling alot better now and the swelling seems to be going down a bit.
I still look like a chipmunk...:o but ill live.
Im going to call That dr bonner tomarrow. We tried today but didnt get an answer by the time I got osme claling done and got out to get my tylonal it was rather late by the time I got to that name on the list. *sigh* but the nurse in triage mentioned them and said they do emergincy appointments and I beleve htey are open on evenings and weekends also. Making it easier to get around my work schedule. :)
I actually think I may be able to sleep through a whole night tonight!:D *excited*

Lisa_morris
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I didnt realize that you couldnt take Advil when pregnant I am sorry. Im glad I checked back to see you had any luck. Im not going to be taking it anymore thats for sure.

vanessalynn5484
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I had to get two wisdom teeth removed during my second pregnancy. The pain was so severe that I was bed ridden for months. Reading your post made me think of that and made me cringe. :eek: I had gone to the hospital many a times with severe migraines and they just gave me a mix of advil and tylenol and told me to take it together (they advised me that the pain was putting me at risk more so than the advil, this was one doctor's opinion and I know it may not necessarily be correct). They didn't know what was wrong and advised me to see a dentist. I had to see a dentist three different times before they figured out the pain was from abscess wisdom teeth (they wouldn't take x-rays because I was pregnant).

All in all it took almost two and a half months and switching dentists to finally figure out what the problem was and get them removed. My son was born with only one kidney and I think it has something to do with me being in intense pain for so long. The dentist agreed that it could have caused high blood pressure among other problems.

I bet this didn't help the initial poster, but I guess I just had to vent :o. Goodluck and I sure that you will find a dentist in the area who will be sympathetic to your situation. However, there is one dentist I would not reccommend because I sat on his waiting list for an emergency appointment for almost a month and never got a call (and I told them I was pregnant and everything). I didn't wait though, I just went to someone else...anyways if you want this person's name so you don't waste your time, PM me.

miss_daisie
02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
thank you everyone for all the advice and posts:).
I still havent had much luck. Was in for anohter IV drip today, and they kept the IV thing(not sure what its called. lol.) in my arm this time so I could return for a few more treatments over the next few days. Ive called every dentist I can think of and all that were listed here and I Was told abot by the hopsital and no one wants to touch me cuz I am pregnant. But Im going to see about dr mcknight, a dental sergeon I hope to have more luck with that. *heres hoping*. Ive also got the phone number for my father in alberta now(hes workin in the camps up there and just got himself a cell phone so I can finaly reach him!) Im going to see if maybe I can barrow the money from him to get this fixed until I can get paid. But no one will touch me till the infection is gone so I guess I just got to continue visiting the hospital until then... and just deal with the lack of sleep. its getting rather frustraiting.. I dont fall asleep till about 2 am and usualy wake up around 4 am and maybe only sleep another 30 mins from then till I get up for work. *bah!*
oh and for those who are asking im about 3 and a half 4 months pregnant. Not posative yet because I havent gotten in for an ultrasound, the prenaitle clinic is awful booked and they cant find a spot to stick me it at. but best guess is about 3 and a half four months.