PDA

View Full Version : lil clouds forming on eye

cheeko
02-19-2007, 06:00 PM
my dog is 3 and a half yrs old she is german shep mixed with lab and i noticed awhile ago she had little smudge like on her eyes and i asked my vet about 6 months ago about it and they said it was calcium build up and now i notice its getting bigger ..... any ideas of what it may be and what i might be able to do about it? its like clouds on her eyes and i feel bad not knowing if she is going blind or if its nothing to worry about....

Rickster
02-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Not a Vet myself Cheeko but it sounds like an 'early' start of cateracts to me !! Not usual for this type of breed though ?! - Rick. P.S. Vets don't know everthing and sometimes give you their 'best guess' which is sad considering what they charge for it !!! - Rick.(check out some pet sites)

puppyluv
02-24-2007, 05:21 AM
try another vet...in my opinion..but I have 2 Shey mixes, around 8 years old, and they too have...the smudge...and the vet (Adrian at Fairvale) told me that this wasnt uncommon for Sheps aorund this age..they start to get it..He said it doesnt affect their far away vision yet, but their up close is a bit off..so keep the lights on brighter etc

babydoll2008
03-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Your dog sounds like it has cateriaces a white cloudy space in the eye. its not an unusual site for me to see with haveing the amount of animals i have all are diferent ages. caterices will not kill your dog he will go blind but will be able to see shadows. keep everything were it is. if it is in one eye you will be fine for a while. once both elyes develope it then you have to make shure your dog knows his way around the are good and you should have a kennel put up it will help keep your dog from wondering and he wont get cought up in a leash that way.