PDA

View Full Version : advice on Scanner

Bill
02-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Hello All

Thinking about buying a police scanner, had them years ago before they went to the new system and made the old ones useless, my understanding is you need a trunking scanner to work and get anything today.

Are there specific frequencies that you need to look for or will all the "new" ones work locally ?

The one I am looking at is like the radio shack one (they are out until mid march) but has 250 more channels and only 50.00 more Its from a company in Ontario called Radio World, its a uniden scanner

Thanks for the Help
Bill

jdcb
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I've been casually looking at getting one for a while. I don't know of any 'new system,' I just believe that they run around the 600-700 range. The scanner I had topped out at 199...

Stop into The Source, the usually have a listing of the local frequencies...

oasis
02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Unidens are good. And Radio World is a great outfit to deal with. I get most of my Ham radio supplies from them.

I know the one Radio shack sells works great. One nice feature is the ability to scan both trunked and non-trunked frequencies at the same time.

I can not comment on the one from Radio world as I don't know which one your looking at

tony_s
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
my rerasonAs far as scanners go you wont hear much on the police channels as most police cars are getting computers put in them.It helps i guess when the criminals cant listen to them .lol
Ps not meaning everyone with scanners is a criminal just thought i make that point before the storm.

Bill
02-20-2007, 05:12 AM
Unidens are good. And Radio World is a great outfit to deal with. I get most of my Ham radio supplies from them.

I know the one Radio shack sells works great. One nice feature is the ability to scan both trunked and non-trunked frequencies at the same time.

I can not comment on the one from Radio world as I don't know which one your looking at

The one at Radio World I am looking at can be seen at this link

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=454

I think it is just 1 model up from the one Radio Shack sells I have not had time to compare to see if there are any major differences other then the fact that the Radio World one has 500 channels and the Radio shack one has 250.
they may both cover the same bandwith etc. I don't know if having an extra 250 channels is woth the extra 50.00.

Thanks
Bill

Rickster
02-20-2007, 11:00 AM
jdcb; they run in the 800 range as I have a bearcat trunker(about $800.00) and you won't get the proper frequencies at the store that sell them.However anyone wishing these can get hold of me as I have them ! - Rick.( I do have to dig them out ,can't remember where I put them at the moment !)

Smash
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
That would be great...Could I get them from you? I checked with Radio Shack at one time and they wouldnt give me a list of the frequencies and codes, they wanted me to bring the scanner and they would program it for me?!?!? I never got around to bringing it in. I have the Uniden Bearcat Trunk Tracker as well, but my batteries are toast so I havent used it. I am going to try and find some new rechargables for it. Do you know where I could get them?
Thanks,

orange
02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm just curious, what's the attraction of having a police scanner? $800 seems like a lot to spend just to hear police talking? :confused:

I'd rather just go to Tim Horton's :rofl:
(kidding, kidding :D)

Smash
02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I didnt spend that much on it :D ... it was a gift, and I havent used it in a couple of years cause the rechargables died...for good! My parents normally listened to it...

Bill
02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
That would be great...Could I get them from you? I checked with Radio Shack at one time and they wouldnt give me a list of the frequencies and codes, they wanted me to bring the scanner and they would program it for me?!?!? I never got around to bringing it in. I have the Uniden Bearcat Trunk Tracker as well, but my batteries are toast so I havent used it. I am going to try and find some new rechargables for it. Do you know where I could get them?
Thanks,

I found this url this morning which seems to list a lot of frequencies

http://www.accesswave.ca/~scan/NBSAINTJOHN.htm

Bill

Bill
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm just curious, what's the attraction of having a police scanner? $800 seems like a lot to spend just to hear police talking? :confused:

I'd rather just go to Tim Horton's :rofl:
(kidding, kidding :D)

Actually the one at Radio Shack (When they get it in ) is 299 and the one I am looking at from Radio World Uniden Bear Cat BC-898XLT is 349

I don't doubt that someone may have bought about the same thing when the technology was new and paid 800 for it, these will likley be 1/2 the price 6 months from now.

Hey I remember paying 1000 bucks for a 660 meg hard drive........

Bill

ken533
02-20-2007, 06:22 PM
uniden makes radioshack scanners

Rickster
02-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Smash, I'll look around tomorrow for those frequencies and get back to ya,and Bill, yea it was a couple of years ago when it did cost about $800.00 but after some recent checking,they are still quite high for the GOOD ones. You get what you pay for !! -Rick.

GirlyGirl
02-20-2007, 11:28 PM
We bought a portable BC Trunk Tracker 3 off E-bay...of course we had to take it into Cox to get it programmed but alot cheaper than the source or wherever else we looked.

Smash
02-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I found this url this morning which seems to list a lot of frequencies

http://www.accesswave.ca/~scan/NBSAINTJOHN.htm

Bill

Thanks Bill!