PDA

View Full Version : Employment Help

MissMem
03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I graduated from UNB back in May and at the time was working for a call center. I left the call center in Dec because I got another job but that one didn't work out at all, so I have been out of work since. I have been applying for all sorts of jobs pretty much every day and am registered at 2 employment agencies. I did really well in school, finishing in the 1st division and got scholarships and prizes. Problem is now I seem to be both under-qualified and over-qualified for jobs at the same time. I was looking to do some clerical work, but am willing to do almost anything at this point because I really need the money- except call centers. I have worked my share of call centers and I really hated working at them. I have applied for probably 50 jobs now from retail to admin positions, etc but have only had 2 interviews the entire time. I would go back to school and get a specialized certificate since my degree has done nothing for me but that is not an option right now because I don't have the money and am trying to save for my wedding next summer. Are there any programs in this city that would help me find some work? I am getting really frustrated and feeling pretty hopeless now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jilly-Bean
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
MissMem, have to tried expanding your search to other areas of the province or maybe even the country?

rhiley_08j
03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I graduated from UNB back in May and at the time was working for a call center. I left the call center in Dec because I got another job but that one didn't work out at all, so I have been out of work since. I have been applying for all sorts of jobs pretty much every day and am registered at 2 employment agencies. I did really well in school, finishing in the 1st division and got scholarships and prizes. Problem is now I seem to be both under-qualified and over-qualified for jobs at the same time. I was looking to do some clerical work, but am willing to do almost anything at this point because I really need the money- except call centers. I have worked my share of call centers and I really hated working at them. I have applied for probably 50 jobs now from retail to admin positions, etc but have only had 2 interviews the entire time. I would go back to school and get a specialized certificate since my degree has done nothing for me but that is not an option right now because I don't have the money and am trying to save for my wedding next summer. Are there any programs in this city that would help me find some work? I am getting really frustrated and feeling pretty hopeless now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Have you approached EI? I know they used to offer programs to get you back to work, and that they will send you back to school through Skills, Loans, and Development.

MissMem
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I haven't tried looking outside of Saint John and surrounding area. At this point, I am really not in a position to move and my fiance is still finishing up his degree here. I also have not approached EI as I thought I would not qualify as I quit my last job.

rhiley_08j
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I haven't tried looking outside of Saint John and surrounding area. At this point, I am really not in a position to move and my fiance is still finishing up his degree here. I also have not approached EI as I thought I would not qualify as I quit my last job.

The job that you quit, was it the one that didn't work out, or was it the call center? Also, just because you quit doesn't mean that you are ineligible for EI, it depends on the circumstances of why you quit. Even if they turn you down appeal it, because 90% of the time if it goes to an appeal they overturn the original decision.

MissMem
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
The job that you quit, was it the one that didn't work out, or was it the call center? Also, just because you quit doesn't mean that you are ineligible for EI, it depends on the circumstances of why you quit. Even if they turn you down appeal it, because 90% of the time if it goes to an appeal they overturn the original decision.

I quit the call center to go to another job and then the new job turned out to be horrible and not what I was expecting so I left there. I didn't expect to be unemployed this long at all and this is the first time I have ever had trouble getting a job. I know I'm not the only one because of the economy, but it's still really frustrating.

Jilly-Bean
03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
What type of employment are you looking for? Seriously though, if you have friends and family in other areas, try looking there. Great way to get on your feet, especially if you look in bigger cities. Even if you didn't want to go too far, Halifax may be worth a look.

rhiley_08j
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I quit the call center to go to another job and then the new job turned out to be horrible and not what I was expecting so I left there. I didn't expect to be unemployed this long at all and this is the first time I have ever had trouble getting a job. I know I'm not the only one because of the economy, but it's still really frustrating.

The best advice I could give you is file for EI, if they turn you down, appeal it. You payed into it while you are working and are entitled to it. If that doesn't work, apply for welfare, and then they will tell you to apply for EI, then you will probably get it. Once you get your EI running, apply for Skills, Loans and Development, to go back to school. It also helps you to be able to draw stamps longer.

timmy
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
When trying to get that crappy job they won't hire you for, you have to lie on your resume, tell em you flunked out, were in jail, whatever. When you are perceived as overqualified because you have a degree. I'm not kidding! Been there, done that!
Have you tried JD Irving? They are always crying for people with any post-secondary, just to show you can learn.

sanne
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately, I have always found that you are most employable when you are employed. In saying this, if you ever are in the position of not liking you job again DO NO QUIT until you have another one lined up. Most employers look are you more seriously when you are already employed.

Having said that, don't give up. Sometimes it just takes time to find something. You may have to take a job you really don't want right now to find the right one.

jennifer25ca2006
03-20-2009, 02:36 PM
When trying to get that crappy job they won't hire you for, you have to lie on your resume, tell em you flunked out, were in jail, whatever. When you are perceived as overqualified because you have a degree. I'm not kidding! Been there, done that!
Have you tried JD Irving? They are always crying for people with any post-secondary, just to show you can learn.

I would do that job been there done that not a great choice.. We were all brought into a room told that it was all a rumor and that no one was getting laid off. poof 20 mins later i was laid off. My friend just got laid off from there as well I was on salary and staying late doing other ppls work that the manager asked me to do and i was not getting paid for it and I was the first one to get laid off. Not a good choice

timmy
03-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately, I have always found that you are most employable when you are employed. In saying this, if you ever are in the position of not liking you job again DO NO QUIT until you have another one lined up. Most employers look are you more seriously when you are already employed.

Having said that, don't give up. Sometimes it just takes time to find something. You may have to take a job you really don't want right now to find the right one.

MissMem
03-20-2009, 04:20 PM

I agree with not quitting your job unless you have another lined up; however I sincerely felt I couldn't stay at this job. I took it because I thought I was moving forward in life, but once I started there, I realized it was not at all what I thought it would be. I would come home from work every day and cry, even on my lunch break- I couldn't take it. I think I will just have to go back to a call centre for now and get some money. I'll keep looking at the same time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

rhiley_08j
03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with not quitting your job unless you have another lined up; however I sincerely felt I couldn't stay at this job. I took it because I thought I was moving forward in life, but once I started there, I realized it was not at all what I thought it would be. I would come home from work every day and cry, even on my lunch break- I couldn't take it. I think I will just have to go back to a call centre for now and get some money. I'll keep looking at the same time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

MissMem, based on what you said about the circumstance why you quit, I would file for EI. You quit due to stress. Say that. It was literally causing you to have a mental breakdown. You will get your EI. Then you can go back to school, and do what "you" want to do.

Crystalbeach
03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
This is just my humble opinion for what it's worth..I think you should go back to school...take some kind of specialized course..university degrees just don't seem to be enough these days.

donteatrawpotatoes
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you able to file for EI three months after quitting your job?

rhiley_08j
03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Are you able to file for EI three months after quitting your job?

Yes