PDA

View Full Version : Aliant DSL Speed increase?

dragokatzov
02-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone have Aliant DSL and noticed it downloading a LOT faster? I have the 1.5Mbps plan, and today i was downloading at almost 300kb/s for extended periods. I ran a couple speed tests and they said my connection speed was at around 2.7Mbps! any one elce notice this?

Dan_Man
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM
what website did you use to test?
I'd like to test mine out.

PCRescue
02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
The best site to use to accurately test your DSL speed is:

http://csc.aliant.ca

Download the netassistant install file.

This site is internal to your DSL line so anything going slow is the Internet itself.

Cheers

Dan_Man
02-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I averaged 188KB/s and the highest I got was 192KB/s.

Dynamic
02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I noticed it the other night, I was getting over 500kbs from a bit torent. I just ran the Aliant test my slowest speed was 625, it statred over 1000 and worked its way down, I was getting a steady 375 before on the same down load.

Woofer
02-18-2007, 09:03 PM
i hit 665k/sec downloading netassistant

Goin4Coffee
02-18-2007, 09:53 PM
started @ 742/sec.. then levelled out @ 596 when i was finished, seems to be its faster than the last time I checked a few months ago,lol--

psych
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
best i could get was 225kb/sec.Gotta be something wrong with mine if others are getting 625kb/sec.

Mandy
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I only get 165K/second.
I have found since just before Christmas that the speed of our internet has been terrible. Seems to lag at all times of the day. I am not happy with the service at all.

Glad to hear others are getting great speeds, wish I was too.

Goin4Coffee
02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
just rechecked mine today & figure it would be lower??:confused:
so I ran 737 to start,, held on then on completetion I was @ 613..
Guess I wont be complaining:biggrin: Finally something to smile about

Woofer
02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
i'm hitting 560k/sec but then again i'm downloading a 800MB file at the same time.

magoosmomma
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I only get 165K/second.
I have found since just before Christmas that the speed of our internet has been terrible. Seems to lag at all times of the day. I am not happy with the service at all.

Glad to hear others are getting great speeds, wish I was too.
mine isnt working well either!! Its slow then at times I lose connection all together.,.I have someone coming tomorrow to look at it because this cant be normal

beancounter82
02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Depends on your area.

I know some people still get the 1.5Mbps service others get the 3Mbps. Some, like users here, get the 5Mbps.

I get 5Mbps.

Godfather
02-27-2007, 05:32 PM
I must try this at home sometime, they changed my modem with a speed stream from the comtrends one I had before, they replaced the box inside that connects line phone and data and the cable truck was outside doing a fix on the line going to the building and the line testers ran tests to clean the line from Aliant directly. I'll run mine at home, it has been fantastic since the techs and cable truck has been over, but I was having a real bugger of a time with that and my phone/vmail etc since my move.

pat.

Godfather
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
mine isnt working well either!! Its slow then at times I lose connection all together.,.I have someone coming tomorrow to look at it because this cant be normal

That's one of the problems I was having with mine, the tech waited and tested the line and found it was getting errors galore, tell him to stay and test the line longer than 15 secs, tell him to test the line up to 2 mins to see if it gets any errors. I did that and the guy was amazed to see that the line was getting tons of errors after 30 secs. They might send it to the line testers, that takes 24 hours to do. If that doesn't work, they might have to send a cable truck to your house and replace the line outside, you dont even have to be there. Just FYI

Pat.

Godfather
02-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I did the test, I was steady at 612/613 Kb which is equivalent to 4.79Mbps, I'm so happy they fixed the cabling, inside lines and replaced the Comtrends box for the speed stream. WOOT.

pat.

paak
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Wiring inside matters too. I was getting close to 800KB/s down, then the kids yanked the wires right out of the phone jack(and ruined the jack as well), so I switched it all to one line(I had 2 seperate leads coming from the outside box, disconnected one at the box itself)...hasn't worked as fast since(still getting 650-675 though). I'll eventually get around to running another line and get my speeds back up :)

Godfather
02-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Wiring inside matters too. I was getting close to 800KB/s down, then the kids yanked the wires right out of the phone jack(and ruined the jack as well), so I switched it all to one line(I had 2 seperate leads coming from the outside box, disconnected one at the box itself)...hasn't worked as fast since(still getting 650-675 though). I'll eventually get around to running another line and get my speeds back up :)

SAH-WEEET, and I thought I was getting a fast DL Speed. There's no consistency whatsoever.

Pat.

Sean
03-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I've used the local Aliant speed test, but I personally find this speed test to
be more insightful for the average user:

http://testvitesse.videotron.ca/

It is a good east coast server out of Montreal, and it will calculate your average download and upload speed for you...

I just ran it now... My results are below:

http://www.dslreports.com/im/25785840/13121.png

I measured a very positive change in my download speeds when I tweaked my Tcp Receive Window settings a while back. A lot of my friends get a 30% or better upload speed than I do though... Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated! :)