PDA

View Full Version : LF advice on clearing a toilet

trinity
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I accidentally flushed a plastic spoon- it was in a bowl of soup I was dumping and down it went. Please don't answer with "call a plumber" because right now staying home ANY day is not an option, there is stuff going on in my family life so any day I am not actively AT work is spoken for and is likely to be so for several weeks. What could I put down that could dissolve a cheap plastic spoon? It is not totally plugged but I am sure it will be soon. And yes, I have tried reaching down and feeling around as far down as I can, I almost got myself stuck doing that.

asco11
03-02-2009, 02:11 AM
I would try Drano. We have the powdered stuff which if you've ever seen active looks like a bunch of bugs eating away at something which is actually alluminum pieces reacting to another chemical. It's pretty neat. Try that. Hope this helps. :)

p.s. Don't breathe in the fumes!!

T-Diddy
03-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I doubt that you will be able to disolve the spoon with anything. You will probably have to use a snake on it. The spoon has most likely lodged itself across the drain pipe, and as time passes more and more toilet paper ect, will catch on it and eventually plug up your toilet real good. I lent my snake out and never got it back, or I would have let you use it. You can rent them from places like a-z rentals, and I don't believe that they are alot of money.....Good luck with you clog.

jdcb
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Yeah, trying to melt the spoon may not be a good idea. I know of something that will (have to remember the exact combination of crap) but it's really not good for the environment or your health if you breath in the fumes. Also, if there is a piece of plastic piping ANYWHERE in your system, it will melt it too. Not worth the risk. Renting a snake is probably the best bet, A-Z Rentals on Rothsay Ave probably has one or two, and they seem to be good prices whenever I rented anything.

Perkawil
03-02-2009, 07:55 AM
EFAD dollar store across from future shop sells toilet snakes for $1.13 ive bought a few and they work good.

gsgallant
03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
The spoon is probably stuck in the toilet itself (and not the piping downstream of the toilet). If you can't get the snake to work for you, you can always remove the toilet completely and see if you can reach the spoon from the outlet opening in the toilet (where the wax gasket goes).

That is a pain it the butt to do, and is a bit messy, so I'd save that as a last resort.

KaesMumma
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I think Gillets Lye, not sure if the spelling is right on that, would eat through it, but as said before not a good idea. A snake or the option above is the best suggestion. I had the same issue with a facecloth my 4 year old flushed, had to pull the toilet up to get at it.

trinity
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
well, i finally got a drain snake, but I tried using it and I can't seem to make it go down. I used liquid drano (much against my preference mind you, environmentally it is awful).

rhiley_08j
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Your best bet would be to unbolt the toilet from the floor and take the spoon out from underneath.

jdcb
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Your best bet would be to unbolt the toilet from the floor and take the spoon out from underneath.

If the snake failed, then what he said...

trinity
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Wouldn't a lot of water pour out?I've tried keeping the tank drained by wedging the ball up, but the toilet does NOT have a shutoff valve for it. I guess I would have to shut off the water to the whole house.

rhiley_08j
03-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Wouldn't a lot of water pour out?I've tried keeping the tank drained by wedging the ball up, but the toilet does NOT have a shutoff valve for it. I guess I would have to shut off the water to the whole house.

That might be your only route!

gsgallant
03-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Yep. Shut the water supply off to the whole house, flush the toilet to empty the toilet tank, disconnect the hose that goes to the toilet tank (this would be a good chance to have a shutoff valve installed at your toilet supply line by the way), remove the toilet, remove the spoon, re-install the toilet with a new wax gasket (and probably new bolts and nuts if they've been there for a few years), reconnect the water supply hose, and turn your water back on. The whole thing should be a couple hour job if everything goes well.

trinity
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
well, i finally got a drain snake, but I tried using it and I can't seem to make it go down. I used liquid drano (much against my preference mind you, environmentally it is awful).

Well, I found out my roommate actually knew HOW to use the drain snake I had, so we put my property and her brain together and I think I have it fixed... so if anyone is in need of a drain snake, let me know and I am willing to bring it by, it does seem to take two people, one to hold it in place, and one to hold the shaft while turning the handle with the "third" hand.

T-Diddy
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm very gald to hear that you have solved your toilet woes......take care.