PDA

View Full Version : House appraisal tips

puppyluv
02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
What kind of tips can you give me on making a house WOW...for the appraiser to appraise it for more money...

We bought some nice fresh colours for painting the kitchen, living room, hall, and the bathroom and I will be spending the next week painting..*ugh*
Anyways, looking for ways we can increase the value of the house simply..without breaking the bank (which is empty:p )

Cartersmom
02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Do you watch Sell This House?
Roger makes houses look 10000% better, lol and besides painting, he suggests:
Make sure it smells clean, like fresh air..
Take out the personal stuff , and make it look as neutral as possible, like as if you were renting out a space (ie take the magnets off the fridge, take down family pictures, any collections, or anything that people would get creeped out by)
Remove a lot of furniture to make the house look bigger..most people cram way too much in a room (us included!) but keep it simple and uncluttered to seem bigger and better.
Open the blinds and curtains.
Clean, clean clean! Clean teh windows..clean the baseboards, clean everyhting. People notice.
Spruce up the outside (hard to do in winter , ) but even something like don't keep your garbage cans or composter visible from the street.. the smaller details imply a well cared for home..

Now I hope you mean that and not renovations you can do to improve it? I know you would know about that already, given your work history , lol

Mandi
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
This may sound cheesy, but the dollar store honestly has some really beautiful candles that you would spend far more for else where. Candles are great touches. As are flowers. YUou could get some pretty vases, and daisys, they look so pretty if you put food coloring in the water (20 drops per 1/2 cup warm water.) and you can make them any color you want! With spring coming daisys are pretty and cheap! ( I think .05$ each.)

Obviously make sure the beds are made, and if you use them to store anything under, make sure it's not visable.
Lack of clutter would make the house seem like it has more storage.
Actually taping when you paint as well would be a good step. As simple and obvious as it seems ,most do not do it. The look of paint on a window trim looks very very tacky (Including light and outlet covers.) Matte paint works much better at hiding imperfections on wall than gloss.
Best of luck!
Where is it located? We're looking to buy east and I thought you posted that's where you lived once. :)

puppyluv
02-18-2007, 05:29 PM
We are NOT selling...we just need it appraised so no one but the appraiser will be coming through.
ps..my neighbors put their house up for sale yesterday...they have a lovely home!

Cartersmom
02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
if it's the assesment guys who assess for property tax levels , you want it as gnarly and grubby as possible :)

puppyluv
02-19-2007, 06:38 AM
no it isnt the same..or at least not for the same reason

MrsBeasley
02-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Reduce as much clutter as possible, especially a cluttered garage make sure it's neat and organized.

6sixstring6
02-19-2007, 09:06 AM
I have had a apprasials done on a number of properties. I have found that accompaning the apprasier around and pointing out the improvements you have made in each and every room significantly increases the appraised value of your property.

The_Dave
02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Hmm I am in the market for a new home. You say your neighbours house went up for sale and it is lovely. If you know the MLS # feel free to share, you never know, I could be your new neighbour.

puppyluv
02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
tks everyone. I have passed all this infor to my sis as well!

puppyluv
02-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Didn't even need it appraised :) however I did pass it on to my younger sister..especially the follow them aorund part and tell them what you have done to it..Inside and out