PDA

View Full Version : Never had it so good...Oh and think Green

RobinHood
02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey there,

RobinHood here - soon to be a "New Canadian" - as soon as the house sells I'm heading out to Saint John. I've been reading a lot and watching CBC online - and it seems the hot topic in the Maritimes is the younger folk heading out West. We have a similar problem where I live (Yorkshire) with people moving down south to the London area. Personally I can't see why my countrymen flee South - the cost of living is extortionate.

I have the perfect antidote for my kids *not* to head West when we are settled - I will take them back to where we came from every now and then (that will make them count their blessings):

****UK 'ranked bottom' in child welfare report****:

http://www.24dash.com/centralgovernment/16538.htm

Incidentally Canada came 2nd (of the English speaking nations) for "best country to raise children." Ireland was #1 - a country I've been to a number of times (I'm of Irish heritage) and I have to say that 30 years of European Union handouts have turned the Emerald Isle into a great place to live (the "Troubles" and the former Church State had made it the "Sick Man" of Europe).

The reason I am moving to NB is because I see a lot of Ireland in the Province (both culturally and economically). SJ and Halifax look a lot like Dublin in parts (same architects I guess) - and the hot topic 10 years ago was the same - consistent "out migration" (to the South of England and North America). I hope the NB government take the Irish approach to population decline - ie. live with it, adapt to the new numbers, and take Federal assistance where appropriate. Ireland discovered it was *better off* with a smaller population - and became a service based power-house. Such is Eire success - more people migrate to Ireland from the UK than vice versa now! NB take note - forget trying to attract 100,000 New Canadian's (ironically - like me) - do it the Irish way and the New Brunswickers' will be back before you know it.

--
RH