PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal State

Pumpkin
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
So what do you think?

Big tv show sham or the real deal?

Chip Coffee amazes me...if he's for real!!

I think Dr.Phil or Barbara Walters should bring in an investigator with a bunch of different crime files that have already been solved beyond a resonable doubt, and give them to all of the so called physchics on all these different paranormal shows and see if they can read if they have already been solved or any of the real facts!!! :P

kaj27
02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Don't like that show. They are a little out there.

Give me Ghost Hunters anyday!

seashanty
02-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Chip Coffee is yet another douchebag cold reader trying to perpetuate the myths and supserstitions of the supernatural. Not bad as far as entertainment goes, but for crying out loud I would at least like to see some sort of disclaimer to go along with it lest even more people get sucked in to believing in such utter nonsense.
I have actually watched a couple of these shows and was highly disappointed that a fairly reputable network would broadcast such things without a disclaimer (I have noticed this issue now with A&E, TLC and even the Discovery Channel- et tu discovery ? :(
There has never been (and most likely never will be) any empirical scientific evidence of ghosts, spirits, psychics, mind readers, poltergeists etc. and anyone who claims there is does not understand the scientific method and the reasons for it's very strict rules pertaining to evidence and experimentation.
Show like this that purport to use scientific methods of investigation gives the impression that para-psychology is a valuable scientific endeavor, while it is pseudo-science at best, or an out attempt at fraud.
C

Pumpkin
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
So Seashanty, you do not believe that any of these shows have any real evidence, is that what you are saying? and if I might ask out of pure nosiness :P, what kind of a disclaimer do you think should be shown for these shows?

Well, you may be right. Who knows, it is all Hollywood done. That's why I wish someone with one these talk shows or something would try and discredit them all( the psychics), to prove once and for all whether they are full of themselves and what they drop off at the pool or if they are the real deal!!! It would be highly intesrtesting to watch!! maybe Ghost hunters should try and discredit Paranormal state lol They are the ones who are trying to discredit what people say they see are they not?

Some psychics are a dead give away that they are fake (Kinda like the ones who come here to the Colonial Inn...BIG RIP OFF.. ALL FAKE)....what they tell a client is generalized, so that it is easy to find something they are dealing with. It hooks them, and they believe the psychic is real. I will use Chip Coffeee because again I am amazed by him if he is real.... Chip doesn't generalize, he seems right on the money. But this is what makes me question if it is all a pile of crud that he is not given any information before hand.

Regardless of what they show on tv as being real or fake, personally I still believe. I have had my own experiences, and I cannot tell myself they were not real. I have had and have close friends who couldn't explain the things that they experienced...be it ghosts, ufo's, etc etc and some of those people had witnesses with them, so it is hard to de-bunk!!

So I guess for these reasons, I hoped people like Chip Coffee were real. In my thoughts, there must be true psychics, because they have helped solve criminal cases that otherwise would never have been solved BUT do these people star in tv series or are they kept well hidden!!???

seashanty
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
check out the amazing randy if you get a chance, has done alot of debunking for over 30 years. He even offers 1 million to anyone who can prove under actual scientific test conditions(was 10 grand up until recently). tested over 800 claims, not 1 proven to be valid under controlled conditions. There has never been an actual case where a "psychic" was truly of any real help to the police as far as I have been able to determine.
As for good old chip, Kreskin, Chris angel, penn and teller ad a host of other entertainers all give a pretty good show and can easily convince people they aer realy psychic by employing the same fraudulent methods as so called real psychics. Now some people actually believe they have psychic powers and are not really being fraudulent, simply naive as to reality, I mainly feel bad for them. I am not sure myself about chip and if he is briefed before hand but as with all good "psychics" there is usually no need, cold reading, leading questions etc, and a knowledge of various statistical facts is all that is usually necessary to come off as having a true psychic ability.
As for experience of supposed para-normal activity, I have experienced plenty in my lifetime, most of which happened as a child and in my early teens. Once I was old enough to actually think rationally, it turns out that they all have logical , non-para-normal explanations.
On a last note I will say this, just because you cannot explain something you have experienced, does not mean there is not a real world explanation that aligns with reality as science has shown it to be, just means it has not been thought about enough by the person who expereinced it. Someone will be able to explain the mechanisms of perception, recall, and transformation of memories to account for 99% of these "mysteries" and the other 1%, well you can't prove something that does not exist or never actually happened as you percieved it to, but if it does exist, you oughta be able to prove it in some way.
p.s: oh yeah, the disclaimer, should read along the lines of, for entertainment only, the views expressed in the following entertainment program are not necessarily the views of this network. (and I personally would add a little blurb about the actuall scientific validity of such endeavours----which is NIL. LOL But to each his own eh :)