PDA

View Full Version : Correspondance courses

shadoww
02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I am looking for information on correspondance courses. I am too old to go back to school so thought maybe online or corespondance is the way to go. I have been looking online all eveing but there are so many how can I find out which ones are reputable?

Any info at all would be appreciated!

MrsBeasley
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Check to make sure the school is accredited and that they have a good reputation with the BBB.

I took a course through Mactech (they are a bit pricey, but they are accredited when places like compucollege wasn't). You can get a Canada Student loan for financing.

kaj27
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
You can never be too old to return to school. I have people in school with me that are well over twice my age.

shadoww
02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I will need to work fulltime while I take the courses so I thought correspondance would work better for me. I really wouldnt be comfortable going back to school now after 20 some years.

butterflyprincess
02-20-2009, 07:51 AM
The community college NBCC has quite a few different ones, you should check out there website, I know some people doing them right now and they like it.

shadoww
02-20-2009, 07:59 AM
The community college NBCC has quite a few different ones, you should check out there website, I know some people doing them right now and they like it.

I actually checked out their site last night but it seemed all they had was courses that looked like they were for upgrading here is the list:
Select a category:

Business Administration
Civil Engineering Technology
Computer/Electronics Engineering Technology
Electrical Engineering Technology
Human Services
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Secondary Courses - Accounting (High School)
Secondary Courses - English (High School)
Secondary Courses - Mathematics (High School)
Secondary Courses - Other (High School)
Secondary Courses - Science (High School)

I was looking for a full course. Maybe I will call today and see if I can get more info.

Thanks!

butterflyprincess
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
my sister in law is taking early childhood education and a friend is taking teachers assistant. but i would call to find out more.

shadoww
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
I also had a friend that took a medical Secretary course years ago but I cant find anything like that.

Marigold
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
What are you interested in taking? Most universities offer courses by correspondence/e-mail. I have to agree with others who say that you are never too old to go back to school- I've just gone back to university after 18 years- I'm taking two courses at night, pursuing a BBA. It doesn't cost anymore than going full time, except that it will take me slightly longer to finish. Good luck to you!!

shadoww
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I really am not sure I was hoping to see a catelogue and go from there.

Funny huh 41 years old and still dont know what to do with the rest of my left, lol

Marigold
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
If I were you, the first thing I'd do it make an appointment with a counsellor. I know the university has career counsellors, and the community college probably does too. They can sit down with you and go over your interests. It would be a good idea for you to have an idea of what you want to do, before you pay out good money for something that you aren't interested in. I'm sure there are on-line questionnaires you could do as well, but I would use them as a jumping off point, not as a firm indicator as to what you should take.

The reason I mention university and college is because of their excellent support systems. It can be hard to remain motivated when you are taking a course on line. Being around people taking the same course, being able to get together to work on homework and projects, and having the personal support of people who are going through the same demands as you are can make all the difference. There is such a wide variety of ages in my classes, and I think it offers an advantage...Lots of different points of view to consider!

tish
02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
i am in my second yr of a Business Diploma program at NBCC...I am in my early 40's...Its never too late and I am just figuring out what I am going to do in life as well...lol

MissMem
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry, not much help but just a thought. I graduated from UNB last year and I had people in my class that were in their '60s and '70s. I thought it was great- you're never too old to learn.

fergiak
04-05-2009, 12:08 PM
You are NEVER too old to go back.. my grandmother became an RNA ( called LPN these days) when she was in her 50's! And she was valedictorian. I am in correspondence classes for a degree.. through Athabasca University. It is an awesome university and very easy to mauever through the site for any info needed. They have alots of Undergrad and graduate programs. www.athabascau.ca

email me if you want to know more. I have been a student of AU since 2002.
fergiak@hotmail.com