PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

shelley
02-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I heard from a friend of mine that Cooks Seafood in St. George is bringing
in 60 workers from Nigeria to work in their plant to process fish and the
government is paying half their wage.

Isn't this against Immigration laws when I'm sure we have lots of people
around here to do this job?

care1978
02-17-2007, 08:38 AM
our government is always doing things like that.... look at all the foreigners that are getting their education courtesy of us when there are people right here that would love to have an education but cant afford it... its an economy thing, the boomers are almost gone and we havent really produced in a while. thats just my theory.

Mandi
02-17-2007, 08:41 AM
I have nothing against people coming into this country at all. But, (forgive the pun) this seems fishy to me. It's certainly a way for the plant to save money, but they could be giving jobs to people here already.

The_Dave
02-17-2007, 09:52 AM
The reason this has happened Mandi is because this company and the one in Blacks Harbour, Conners Bros. cannot find people to work these jobs. The ads are in the paper all the time. People who live here just will not work these jobs, for whatever reason, maybe because alot of it is piece work or because they have to handle fish guts all day. I have heard these places even provide transportation to and from work.

My belief is that people here are just too spoiled and lazy!!! Some people wake up in the morning and look out the window and if they don't see that perfect job where they get paid lots and have to do nothing then they just go back to bed. I believe people who are capable and healthy and on assistance should be made to work these jobs before they have others from other countries brought in to do them and before they get any type of assistance. There are soooo many jobs in this city that those who are capable and healthy should not even qualify for any assistance. Minimum wage is $7.00 now I believe. In a 40 hour work week that works out to $280 a week before taxes, which works out to approx. $1120 a month before taxes. This is a heck of alot more than MOST people would earn off of assistance. Plus this all adds up to self respect and dignity.

I even think that those with children would still qualify for assistance for daycare if needed.

care1978
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
The reason this has happened Mandi is because this company and the one in Blacks Harbour, Conners Bros. cannot find people to work these jobs. The ads are in the paper all the time. People who live here just will not work these jobs, for whatever reason, maybe because alot of it is piece work or because they have to handle fish guts all day. I have heard these places even provide transportation to and from work.

My belief is that people here are just too spoiled and lazy!!! Some people wake up in the morning and look out the window and if they don't see that perfect job where they get paid lots and have to do nothing then they just go back to bed. I believe people who are capable and healthy and on assistance should be made to work these jobs before they have others from other countries brought in to do them and before they get any type of assistance. There are soooo many jobs in this city that those who are capable and healthy should not even qualify for any assistance. Minimum wage is $7.00 now I believe. In a 40 hour work week that works out to $280 a week before taxes, which works out to approx. $1120 a month before taxes. This is a heck of alot more than MOST people would earn off of assistance. Plus this all adds up to self respect and dignity.

I even think that those with children would still qualify for assistance for daycare if needed.
are you sure that they provide transportation? i used to work in a fish plant in Digby... not a nice job(really nasty) but you get used to the smell after awhile, just dont think my bf ever got used to it lol.

orange
02-17-2007, 10:00 AM
our government is always doing things like that.... look at all the foreigners that are getting their education courtesy of us when there are people right here that would love to have an education but cant afford it... its an economy thing, the boomers are almost gone and we havent really produced in a while. thats just my theory.

Foreigners don't get free education courtesy of us. They have to pay like double or triple the regular tuition, so they basically pay their own way... and I think even more, because I think UNBSJ is making a good profit from the English classes there.

orange
02-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Related to this topic, I remember reading a few months ago that a Wal-Mart in Alberta had to bring in Mexican workers, because they couldn't find people willing to work as store clerks.

chevygirl
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I have to agree with The_Dave for the most part. There are always ads from these fish factories looking for people. They offer competitive wages and transportation to and from local cities. Your shifts are long and the jobs are hard but they pay well. People just don't want to spend that much time travelling and then working 60 hours a week or more. But at the end of the week you get a good check. But because people in and around these places are not applying they have to get someone to work the jobs, or the factories will go out of business do to lack of employees. It is sad to see so many people apparently looking for jobs and have never considered these places.

So who's fault is it that Cooks has to hire people from other countries? I don't think that Cooks is looking for the easy way out here . I think they asked the goverment for some help and this is what they did.

Chinna Dah
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree 100% with all you said.

6sixstring6
02-17-2007, 10:51 AM
I know the people who own Mother Natures and they need 12 people in the bakery and can't find them. He is also looking to bring people in from other countries.

corkyjim
02-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Very well said.

kimbey76
02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
i dont know about cooks but ocean legacy is in the same area and same idea for work, my husband worked there and had to quit because he did not have reliable transportation, they do not provide it to workers, they called him after he left and asked him if he would return if transportation was made available but we heard nothing after that, we even posted ads here looking to pay someone for a drive thinking someone had to be working there from saint john, but most of them already have full carpools, he liked it there and the money and benefits are good, even if the job is hard, so people dont always not work there because of laziness even if it obviosly makes some people feel very self righteous to say so
by the way he is from another country as well and has had nothing for free here, he is not a refuge and has not been brought here by the government, not everyone from another place got here the same way, also he is working someone else now here within the city where he has transportation and it is a worse job than working at a fish plant
in reality the government brings so many people a year here anyway to meet quotas for immigration, yes mainly refugees, there are some incentives for employers to hire these people so that the government doesnt pay for everything for them, the business gets cheaper labor, the government isnt giving them everything free and the refugees get to keep some of their pride in that they are working for their food instead of accepting a handout, taking free from the government is something most of them have never done in their own countries

Bawango
02-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Some are quick to blame that foreigners are taking away jobs. The_Dave is right. This is sadly a growing trend as people as getting picky with jobs and companies are going through the local work force at a high rate. Just look at the call centers in the area. How many people do we know that has worked in every single call center in the City may it be NCO, Wyndham, etc etc. Now call centers are doing a lot of " re-hiring" as the pool of new candidates is getting smaller. I would not be surprised if they started to recruit outside of the province or even out of Canada.

The_Dave
02-17-2007, 03:11 PM
kimbey76 that is to bad about your husband not having transportation. I know a few jobs I have had over the years in outlying areas before I had a car, I would hitch hike. It mostly worked out but it is troubling knowing you are leaving for work each day unsure if you will get a drive to get you to work on time. I always was lucky enough to run into someone at these different locations I worked to get a drive with after getting to know my co-workers. I would help pay for gas. Even if they could pick me up and drop me off at the nearest bus stop was great for me.

notfarnow
02-17-2007, 05:00 PM
look at all the foreigners that are getting their education courtesy of us when there are people right here that would love to have an education but cant afford it...

LOL!!

Do you just make this stuff up as you go?? Any more theories?

Foreign students pay top dollar to come to school here. Their high tuition $$ goes a long way to help improve facilities, and more students means a better selection of courses.

UNBSJ has improved TREMENDOUSLY since we started getting lots of foreign students

dan j
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Some are quick to blame that foreigners are taking away jobs. The_Dave is right. This is sadly a growing trend as people as getting picky with jobs and companies are going through the local work force at a high rate. Just look at the call centers in the area. How many people do we know that has worked in every single call center in the City may it be NCO, Wyndham, etc etc. Now call centers are doing a lot of " re-hiring" as the pool of new candidates is getting smaller. I would not be surprised if they started to recruit outside of the province or even out of Canada.

Call centres can just relocate.

Fish processing, by its nature, should be done near the source of the product.

Also, some of the ignorant xenophobic comments in this thread are disturbing but also a bit LOL worthy.

rubycshells
02-17-2007, 11:55 PM
This is not new to Canada, just new to the area. 40 years ago, Jamaicans were brought in to harvest tobacco in Southern Ontario. 20 years ago Vietnamese were brought into the same area to harvest ginseng.

It has been going on for a very long time, just not in this area.

The_Dave
02-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Irving brought in people from other countries YEARS ago whe I was a kid to help with refinery upgrades. The Irving Empire housed them in trailers across from Woolco ( which is now client logic ), in the empty field area. Man I remember there was nothing but bad news out of that place every day. Fights, gunshots, You name it it was there. Now folks I am talking early 70's. Just goes to show how long this city has been hurting for people to do the work, trained or not.

shelley
02-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Well I guess I didn't realize how picky people in this country are.
I cant understand why someone would prefer social assistance over a
job. As Dave said what about your self dignity, etc.
I graduated from Vocational in 79 and started working in an office and
I'm still there.
I guess there was never any reason to leave.
I also realize that I am very fortunate.

jkennedy
02-18-2007, 08:35 AM
When Cooke's bought Heritage Salmon, they put hundreds of people out of work with little or no notice. Most employees that remained took significant pay cuts. Many of these people could no longer afford to remain in that line of work and went elsewhere. Others simply refuse to work for a company that treats people like garbage.

I worked for 3 companies that were taken over by Cooke's. No one from Cooke's ever spoke to me directly and they only gave me one day's notice when they decided that they didn't have a job for me (in the office). Our hatchery employees made $13-15/h. When Cooke's took over, they laid some off and cut the rest of them back to $11/h. During the take over, some of our paycheques bounced because they wouldn't put enough in our account to cover everything. There were lots of bills that they flat out refused to pay.

I had to uproot my kids and move them to Saint John so that I could make enough to cover our expenses. I entertained the thought of gutting fish or slinging feed rather than working in the office so as to not upset my kids but it wasn't doable. The hours per day were too long (no daycare to accommodate), the hours per week were too short to make a decent pay and many were nightshift only (again not possible for a single mom).

I feel bad for the Nigerians who have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

kimbey76
02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
board seems to have switched topics unfortunately, just to respond to the_dave yes it was unfortunate that he had to leave the job, he did try to get a drive from others who worked there, and was able to part of the time but ended up missing days because that person would take the day off, if he hadnt left he would have been fired for missing time, and it was too far for busses, his shift was very early too, 7am till 7pm, great hours on the paycheck but not a lot of people willing to accept cash to get up at 5am to drive someone to st. george. it might be fine for someone who has friends or family here who can help but that wasnt the case. yes we considered the hitchhiking thing but i didnt think it was safe and with his english being an obvious second language and the way people think of foreigners around here i am pretty sure i was right in not allowing this. not to mention how long would it take to hitchhike to st. george for 7am? you would have to leave at 3am and who is on the road then to drive you? walk or cab to the highway to hitchhike the rest of the way and hope you get a drive? not very reasonable. especially in winter. anyway merely trying to point out that there are lots of reasons that people dont work there besides just being too lazy.

richunclepennywise
02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
so....about the nigerian's coming to work......

marriedchickie
02-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I know the post about Cook's was ohhh about 99 posts ago, but it was mentioned that Cook's offers transportation to and from the job site. They do. I know someone who worked there, and then got a better job. They leave from Lancaster Mall on the west side around 6pm in a big green van and transport the workers.

Rickster
02-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Free transportation and a fair wage($10.15 hr.)is what they do and still have a hard time keeping people.So bring in people to work the job. What's it our business if they can't find anyone here,find them elsewhere !! Wouldn't you in there circumstance ? Same all over the City.My brother and a friend of mine worked there and the problem they had down there was the shifts(no transportation back if you work late hours)and standing on cement floors in a -10 degree atmosphere(necessary for the fresh fish)was just too much for them.So bring in the Nigerians cause I doubt that they will last long in that atmosphere especially when you consider the climate they are use to,LOLlol.-Rick.