PDA

View Full Version : Hug a Tree

rhiley_08j
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Just watching the CBC news, looks like with all the hype on greenhouse emmissions and New Brunswick's commitment to the Kyoto accord we may not be getting a second refinery after all unless Irving is granted special approval in the agreement. Good or Bad what do you think?

Giggles
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Good, Good, Good!!!!!

rhiley_08j
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
great for some, but what does this city have to look forward to for employment opportunities if it doesn't go through

clairegt
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Good!..Its all for the greater good

murraydow
02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
The demand for the product is there or the project would not have been thought of in the first place. If it isn't built here, it will go some where else.
I for one think the added employment is long over due in this area.
The spin off will be a boost to all local business in this city.
Retail stores will see a boost, housing will be more plentiful, even the rentals will see the effect.
I think we have enough qualified folks watching the enviromental side of this. The rest of us should embrace and enjoy the benefits.

adm
02-17-2007, 07:46 AM
The demand for the product is there or the project would not have been thought of in the first place. If it isn't built here, it will go some where else.
I for one think the added employment is long over due in this area.
The spin off will be a boost to all local business in this city.
Retail stores will see a boost, housing will be more plentiful, even the rentals will see the effect.
I think we have enough qualified folks watching the enviromental side of this. The rest of us should embrace and enjoy the benefits.

HERE HERE.....I'm with you. If the refinery isn't built here, the Irving's or someone else will build it somewhere else. The new refinery will have a higher output than the original and will bring a thousand jobs to the city, meaning that the spin-off of jobs could be double or better. I'm not excited about the added pollution, but the health and clean air coalition, as well as the government will be on them non-stop to ensure they are complying. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I have deveoped Athsma and allergies since moving to this city.

Folks in another forum were complaining about a lack of progression in Saint John. This refinery will bring jobs, revenue, housing and people to the City. This means that it will also push the entertainment, shopping, dining and leisure industries as well because the new Refinery workers will need somewhere to eat, live, and entertain themselves.

Bring it On! :p

orange
02-17-2007, 07:58 AM
We can't just say "I think we have enough qualified folks watching the enviromental side of this. The rest of us should embrace and enjoy the benefits."

"Qualified folks" can only do so much, and they seem to be speaking out against the idea already. When they're up against a behemoth of a polluter, it's like trying to control an 800-lb gorilla with your bare hands.

Just because something produces jobs, it's not a reason in itself to allow it. Chemical weapons manufacturing produces jobs too, but there are societal costs.

Maybe a 2nd refinery is still worth it despite the costs, but I think the negatives are sometimes waved-off too easily.

Giggles
02-17-2007, 10:14 AM
More jobs and a boost to the local economy is not a good enough reason to destroy the environment. The future of the planet depends on everyone doing their part.

The_Dave
02-18-2007, 01:48 AM
The Refinery WILL be built here! Never under estimate the Irvings. They know what they are doing and they call the shots. Good for them. I can't wait. The economic spinoff for us and the city will be fantastic.

Tara
02-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I hope it does get built here! My hubby has not been able to get anything for more than a couple of weeks in over a damn year. We do not want to move out west we want to stay right here in NB, if the refinary does not come here then we have to go.

rhiley_08j
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I am in the same situation as your husband Tara. When they made the anouncement about the second refinery it was a dream come true. I so badly want to raise my family here but if the economy doesn't change I will have no choice but to move on to better things. I can certainly understand everyone's view on the subject, but as was stated earlier and also by a spokesperson for Irving Oil, if it doesn't get built here it will be built elsewhere. Of course than we get to the opinion, "good let it be built in someone else's backyard, not mine." The issue was brought to light by an Irving spokesperson that said better it be built here where there is stiff government regulation on emmissions than to be built in an area like Venezuela, where there is no regulation. Because one way or another, it has been nearly 25 years since a refinery has been built, and demand requires it.