PDA

View Full Version : Ferrets and Litter Boxes

rhiley_08j
02-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Does anyone know if a ferret will share a litter box with a cat?i cant find any info on that and im really wondering cause my ferret is littered trained?thanks for any input!

Mandi
02-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know if a ferret will share a litter box with a cat?i cant find any info on that and im really wondering cause my ferret is littered trained?thanks for any input!

YUP~! My friend has 3 kitties and a ferret, and they all share accomidations, (she has two, but they use which ever, And they definately share.)

rhiley_08j
02-16-2007, 11:29 AM
thanks mandi!

ceg
02-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Ferrets are allergic to dust so make sure you use a cat litter like Yesterdays News, it's in a pellet form.

Lemme_LQQK
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Ferrets are allergic to dust so make sure you use a cat litter like Yesterdays News, it's in a pellet form.

That is so cute , but may I ask this at the risk of sounding dumb?
How in the world do you litter train a ferret ( they are the sweetest things) ,aren't they somewhat like a rabbit drop as they go?

As with a rabbit how can you tell when they need to go...lol I mean lordy you would be running to the litter box with a rabbit almost constantly...

new424
02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Ferrets will almost always need to "go" within 5-15 minutes of waking up.
If they are running loose in the house, you can tell when they need to go because they will usually head for a corner.....if you see your ferret backing up towards a corner with their tail straight up in the air, you can be sure it needs a litter box ASAP lol

ceg
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
That is so cute , but may I ask this at the risk of sounding dumb?
How in the world do you litter train a ferret ( they are the sweetest things) ,aren't they somewhat like a rabbit drop as they go?

As with a rabbit how can you tell when they need to go...lol I mean lordy you would be running to the litter box with a rabbit almost constantly... Their droppings aren't like a rabbits. They have normal poop, not in a pellet form at all.

They also have a tendancy to hoard food, they'll hide it in your couches and other places. They're mainly active at dawn and dusk, and usually require 15ish hours of sleep a day. They're also not supposed to have dairy because they are lactose intolerant most the time, but most love peanut butter. They also should be bathed once a week using Ferret shampoo or Baby shampoo.

rhiley_08j
02-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I find it funny that they poop and pee at the same time. You mention about bathing them once a week, I read it some where that if you bath them often that it will actually make them stink, that it will cause there glands to produce more oil. What I read is that they are pretty self sufficient in cleaning themselves.

new424
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I've owned Ferrets for about 13 years now and I've never had to bathe any of them weekly. Every couple of months I'll fill the tub halfway and throw some toys in it and let them have a swim, but I rarely use shampoo on them, unless of course they've been outside in the summertime and have managed to get themselves filthy (little buggers like to dig!!!)

rhiley_08j
02-21-2007, 07:33 PM
yeah, mine likes to share the wife's footbath, lol.

ceg
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I find it funny that they poop and pee at the same time. You mention about bathing them once a week, I read it some where that if you bath them often that it will actually make them stink, that it will cause there glands to produce more oil. What I read is that they are pretty self sufficient in cleaning themselves. If we didn't wash ours weekly her fur would go all yellow and she would stink.

new424
02-22-2007, 07:13 AM
If we didn't wash ours weekly her fur would go all yellow and she would stink.

The only time I ever had a smell or yellowing issue was wayyyy back when I was feeding a ferret food from the pet store that was corn based (first ingredient on bag was listed as corn) which the pet store recommended, I switched to a food that has very little grain and have never had an issue since.

Cory_N_Bonnie
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
my kitten and rabbit use the same litter box as well...

vwman
03-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I got two of them and when I take them out side the first place they go is into the horse manoorer and the horses dont like them because they are too hyper lol but I love all f my anamles anyways :D

rhiley_08j
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
when is it warm enough to take them outside?anyone know?

The Baker
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I can take them outside whenever you want. I take mine out in the winter just keep an eye on them to see if they start getting cold bring them back in. Mine blows bubbles in the water. lol Funiest thing I've ever seen.

Scottie23
03-14-2007, 10:28 PM
My guy is pretty loyal at times and other times he just goes where ever. How do I train him to use the litter as well as doing other things He does not seem to respond to any disciplinary actions. I would like to teach him some tricks as well.

PM me plaease