PDA

View Full Version : Odd question on pipes..

puppyluv
12-28-2008, 02:30 PM
For the last few months there has been an issue with the heat/pressure fo the water upstairs. This hasn't affected the downstairs washroom though.

Any reason why we would be getting less how water upstairs than downstairs/ IS it possible the pipes are clogged? *never heard of that itself which is why i am asking here before I call a plumber.

I have a hot water on demand kind of system for hot water baseboard, so it isn't the water heater..which wouldn't make too much sense since the downstairs isn't affected. There are 2 zones, upstairs and downstairs.
The upstairs showe system is old and the diverter is kind of crappy, but there will be a bathroom reno in which that is changed this summer, so I will attribute a bit of the issue on pressure to that...

Ideas?
the house is approx 40 years old, and the water heat system is 9 years old.

Thrasher
12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
just started in the colder months then?

puppyluv
12-28-2008, 03:19 PM
umm. now isn't that a question. I guess yes, maybe that's when it started...October...

kaj27
12-28-2008, 03:29 PM
You can try those pipe insulators. They are really cheap and are easy to put on.

puppyluv
12-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Sadly, all finished walls and ceilings..*but from what I can see, they have already been wrapped with pupe insulation
.and then there is still the water pressure issue

Thrasher
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
is it possible that some of the pipes are on an outside wall and are exposed to the colder temperature ...it could be possible that the insulation in the walls has droped which can happen as some insulation is the paper back type ..as for the pressure im wondering if it is possible that a pipe might have frozen or partially frozen and could have a leaking solder joint ...i hope that is not the case ..it is also possible that the system had a rust build up in it and the diverter is simply partially plugged and something may have got past the diverter to the fixtures themselves

puppyluv
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Thrasher. I spoke with a relative who is a plumber in another province. part of the issue could indeed be a zone valve. I need to figure out which is th eupstairs one and flip it over to manual and see if there is more hot water so to speak..which might work...*crossing fingers* because there would be less hot water needed to make it the temp I like it..which would mean more pressure...
will be looking into this this afternoon :)

puppyluv
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
& the answer was..a zone valve was crapping out...250. Happy Holidaze *grin*