PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at the BUs Stop

lee
02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Im curious.....

WE cant smoke in restaurants, Bars, Work, Schools, or anywhere else.
We cant smoke 10 feet by any building enterance...

Then tell me Why, do I have to stand outside the bus shelter when its minus 40, because all the smokers are smoking inside?

When will something be done about this?

serialspell
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
most likely never, this will sound rude but who really has the right to tell someone where they can smoke in an open area(i know we are talking about a bus shelter but it is still considered an open area), that would be similar to me telling someone else how to talk around me. i take my kids for walks all the time and when people walk by and are swearing or talking about somthing unfit for children to hear will somthing be done about that? no, because it infringes on peoples rights

lee
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
you have every right in the world, to tell people to watch their language around your children.. HOw ever, .... filthy language does not cause lung cancer

serialspell
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM
I think you got me wrong on this one, what i am saying is people have choices, i am a smoker but i also think it is disgusting, smell taste and everything about it(trying to give them up) and when people are around me i ask permission to have a smoke around them, even when i walk down the street if someone is about to walk by me i hold it down and away from them, still if someone does not like it then they can move on, drugs are not good for you either and if a person is doing them around me to each their own, i leave.

basically, how i feel about things are not exactly how others might feel, so who has the right to judge others on their decisions?

amethyst
02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
as a smoker...i find that really RUDE. I would never smoke in a place like that. Sorry you have to put up with that.

taylor
02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I actually do agree with serial spell......And I am NOT a smoker!!!!
no one smokes in my house or my car.....My husband does stand outside, Smokers are band from smoking mostly everywhere now...let them at least smoke in an open area outside.....they have to go outside in the frezing cold at a resturant or bar....so we non smokers can not have the best of both worlds.......lol

like serial said if you don't like it walk away.......NOT BEING RUDE...
I walk away

yoyoyip
02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
FYI - it is illegal to smoke inside a bus shelter...just as much as it's illegal to smoke inside a building. :)

alaska
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I think that if there are people already there in the bus shelter not smoking, you should ask if you can smoke before going in there to light up.

It's only polite.

notfarnow
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
most likely never, this will sound rude but who really has the right to tell someone where they can smoke in an open area(i know we are talking about a bus shelter but it is still considered an open area), that would be similar to me telling someone else how to talk around me.

???
Totally inconsiderate.

Smoking inside the bus shelter is not allowed. If you want to have a smoke, go outside.

If someone asked me if they could smoke in the bus shelter, I'd ask them if I could take dump on their lap.

serialspell
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
well it is not like this is a battle, but if a non smoker is standing somewhere can a smoker ask them to move so they can have a smoke, i think not so why should anyone else have to, as to your remark about a dump on someones lap hey if they are willing, go for it, this is actually a realistic topic with real concerns about peoples rights

babydoll101
02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
well it is not like this is a battle, but if a non smoker is standing somewhere can a smoker ask them to move so they can have a smoke, i think not so why should anyone else have to, as to your remark about a dump on someones lap hey if they are willing, go for it, this is actually a realistic topic with real concerns about peoples rights

You have it totally wrong!!! A bus shelter is not considered being outside. It is as much as a confined space as a car with an opened window. Let me ask you do you smoke in the car with your children with a window opened a little bit?

serialspell
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
i do not smoke near my children, but as for the shelter there some built outside alot of call centers right now, can they ask the non-smokers to get out where as they are built for smoking?

notfarnow
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
A bus shelter is not an open area.

They are the opposite to open areas, in that they are enclosed by walls and a roof. People go INSIDE bus shelters, to remove themselves from OPEN AREAS.

Asking if you can smoke is as polite as asking if you can fart.

serialspell
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
this is the thing, we are all human with rights, and with that comes respect for others, just because one makes choices another does not like them does not mean they should have to change themsleves to fit the needs of others

magoosmomma
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
FYI - it is illegal to smoke inside a bus shelter...just as much as it's illegal to smoke inside a building. :)
Very true

Dan_Man
02-14-2007, 11:34 AM
this is the thing, we are all human with rights, and with that comes respect for others, just because one makes choices another does not like them does not mean they should have to change themsleves to fit the needs of others

So you're saying it's alright for smoker to polute my lungs with smoke?

amethyst
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM

I understand what you trying to say. But in my view....bus stops (sheltered ones)..no one should be smoking in them. I don't know...maybe it's me but i think it's wrong...of course...i don't smoke walking down the street, or outside walmart or any mall or outside my place of employment. I try to respect those who don't smoke, and keep it to myself.:p

Dan_Man
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I understand what you trying to say. But in my view....bus stops (sheltered ones)..no one should be smoking in them. I don't know...maybe it's me but i think it's wrong...of course...i don't smoke walking down the street, or outside walmart or any mall or outside my place of employment. I try to respect those who don't smoke, and keep it to myself.:p

I wish all smokers were like you amethyst :)

ceg
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
A bus shelter is not an open area, it is a confined space same as building or car. People shouldn't ask if they can smoke, they should either step outside the bus shelter or stand close to the enterance if there's bad weather.

Some people need to realize that not all of us non-smokers out there are scared of lung cancer, many people are severely allergic. Lung issues and Asthma are very common now. I know some children and adults who when around smoke for even a few minutes start having Asthma attacks to the point where they can't breath.

Maybe instead of looking at smokers as people who want the world their way maybe think of the large group of people who like being able to breath just as much as the next guy.

amethyst
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I wish all smokers were like you amethyst :)

LOL..i wasn't always this way. I used to do all of the above...many moons ago...but when i really thought about it...i decided if i didn't smoke..i wouldn't want some idiot blowing it at me or whatever...so i became conscious of where and when i smoked. I wish others would do the same because you know what? I HATE HATE HATE walking into Walmart and seeing people smoking at the doors. I can imagine how non-smokers feel.:mad:

I also need to add that if they can't go to the mall, without leaving for a cigarette...i'm sorry..but that's PATHETIC. Walk to your bloody car if you need one that bad.

Sheesh..i sound like a non-smoker,,http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/HideUnderChair.gif

notfarnow
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Oh really? So if I want to smoke dope in the bus shelter, that's ok too? What if I want to burn a car tire to keep warm. Or what if it's hot out and I prefer to be naked in the bus shelter. I don't have to adjust my behavior to suit those around me?

care1978
02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
here we go .... again..... :S

serialspell
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
well i have my opinion and deserve to have it, if you do not like how i feel then sorry cannot help you there, but if smoking at a bus stop is illegal(by the way i did not know this as i see people doing it all the time)why are people not being charged for it? and as for going in the street naked or burning a tire, or smoking dope, if you were doing such things and they bothered me i would leave. on i lighter note the oly thing i was trying to point out is if i live my life a certain way this is still my choice, i do not normally get into topics like this at all but where will it end, i do not agree with smoking but however the next person might not agree with you drinking, or driving the list goes on and on.

orange
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
well i have my opinion and deserve to have it, if you do not like how i feel then sorry cannot help you there, but if smoking at a bus stop is illegal(by the way i did not know this as i see people doing it all the time)why are people not being charged for it? and as for going in the street naked or burning a tire, or smoking dope, if you were doing such things and they bothered me i would leave. on i lighter note the oly thing i was trying to point out is if i live my life a certain way this is still my choice, i do not normally get into topics like this at all but where will it end, i do not agree with smoking but however the next person might not agree with you drinking, or driving the list goes on and on.

Sorry, serial, but a standard rule regarding "rights" is the saying:
"Your rights end where mine begin".

And my right to reasonably clean air supercedes your right to pollute that air.

The same is true for just about any law. You can drink alcohol, but you can't drink and drive, because that infringes upon the rights of others to safety on the road.

Mandi
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
wow. I'm sorry but, bus stops were not made for smokers, last I checked they were called .BUS stops. When my little girl was 3 months old I remember waiting at a bus stop to go to a doctors appointment, and the woman standing right beside her stroller lit up. She was so surprised when I demanded she leave the shelter, but she did. People have to wait at a bus stop, people don't have to smoke. My right to use public transportation > your right to smoke. period.

girdy
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
There comes a point where the non-smoker rules just become mean spirited. They're not allowed to smoke in their workplace. They're not allowed to stand in a nearby building and have a smoke while waiting for the bus. They're not allowed to stand in a nearby doorway and have a smoke while waiting for the bus. They're not allowed to get on the bus and have a smoke.

Now I despise smoking as much as any of you, but just go stand in a nearby doorway, or even just go stand upwind, and feel superior.

miss_daisie
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
This has been a resent bother too me aswell.
Bus stops are legaly smoke free areas there are signs and such. I see where everyone comes from with this point... but I agree they should not be smoking in a us stop... It is a small and inclosed space and easily fills with smoke. Smokers have rites yes. BUT its their choice to smoke... And no one else should have to suffer for it. I am 3 months pregnant and have breathing problem... and visit the Charolette street bus stop every morning. And no matter the weather I now must sit outside the bus stop in th cold or what be it because it is filled with highschool kids smoking... Both the fact they are smoknig and the fact that they arent even waiting for a bus! drives me:P prolly pregnant hormones throwing me off so much on this but it bothers me that there are 7 kids stuffed into this thing taking over and filling it with smoke so no one else can get it... If someones going to smoke in a bus stop they should atleast ask permission of whos around and atleast sit by the doors in my opinion... I dont agree with the must be 10 feet away froma door how ever. I mean its still outside... around the hospital I can see hwy also...
How ever UI dont think this will ver trully be inforced... cab drivers barly fallow this law...
I just dont see why other are expected to suffer for someone elses desicions... my b/f is a smoker and I see the issues he has with these laws.. I dont put him on his ass with smoking he has a spare room in our apartment that he uses I dont thin kosmeone hsould freeze outside when they are at there own home... how ever I dont think my health or my babies should be put at risk... we all know the laws and rules when we make our choices... and such forth./.. everyone should have to deal with it(granteed most on this site were smokers long before the no smoking laws)
anyways.. that smore then my two sence... just got a bit carried away again. lol

baseball 23
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Sorry, no such thing as 'smokers rights'. Go ahead, look it up in the charter of rights and freedoms, says nothing about a right to light up.

miss_daisie
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I didnt mean rites like by law.. I jsut mean they are people too and shouldnt be cast aside because they smoke. not literly rites.. just they do have a rite to smoke if they are a smoker.. just under certain laws/rules or what ever you want to lable it.

sjchickie
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok its not actually ILLEGAL to Smoke in a bus shelters...its just a bylaw...so you could never get charged for it....its about respect i guess....I asked my dad (who happens to be a city bus driver) and he said most people do it ...doesnt mean its ok....people are advised NOT TO...but there is no legal penalty...I agree its gross for others to smell....but i agree people should get the heck out if they are smoking up the bus shelter. If no one else is in there i think be my guest Smoke your cigs or pot do what ya gotta do just dont do it around others...

miss_daisie
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
agreed. I mean it takes a few mins to have a smoke... jes hve it on yer walk to the stop so you can sit inside and enjoy alteast sme shtlter from ellements.

The_Dave
02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
No one and I mean no one should be smoking in the bus shelters, open or not. They are smoke free. This is just plain ignorant on anyone's part to smoke in them while others are there. I would never smoke any where to offend any one. If I thought I might, I ask people before I light up.

alaska
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Interesting Point:

Smoke-free Places Act
http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/s-09-5.htm

"enclosed public place" means all or any part of building or other enclosed place, other than a group living facility, to which members of the public have access as of right or by express or implied invitation, and includes,
....(b) an outdoor bus or taxi shelter

"indoor workplace" means an enclosed place, other than a vehicle, in which employees perform the duties of their employment and includes an adjacent corridor, lobby, stairwell, elevator, escalator, eating area, washroom, restroom or other enclosed area frequented by employees during the course of their employment, but does not include a private residence unless it meets the requirements of subsection.

N.B. This Act was proclaimed and came into force October 1, 2004.

rhiley_08j
02-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't want to rock the boat, and I cannot take sides because I am a smoker myself, and I understand non smokers views as I was once one, plus my daughter is severely asthmatic, but I think what is sums up to is that smoker or non-smoker, we all need to have respect for others rights including a non-smokers right to not be forced to breath in second hand smoke in a bus shelter. However, in all seriousness for the comments of people walking by you or standing at a door way smoking, no one is going to die from smelling a cigarette burning as you are walking by. That would be like say that every car that is driving by is going to kill you with it's emmissions. In actually, yes I know that eventually prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke, car emmissions, genetically engineered food, and the list could go on and on, will eventually kill us. But what are we going to do, live in a bubble, this is life, these are choices that the western civilization as a whole has made, and now we must live with the consequences of our actions. Therefore, the only solution to it all is to try to be more humane, and consider how our actions not only affect ourself but also those around us. Respect each other in no matter what we do. We are all brothers and sisters that need to learn to survive together in this world.

sjchickie
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Well said Riley...I love what you said cheers to that

subaru2222
02-14-2007, 06:28 PM

It's people like you that give smokers a bad name. If people quit they would live longer and have more money. People cry and complain they have no money but they spend $300.00 a month smoking to harm themselves. You cant even get the point through to smokers no matter how much we try to help them. Smoking must kill brain cells or something. Bring on the post smokers what ever you type look lis this to me.

blah blah my right blah blah no money blah cough cough blah blah its cold out blah blah cry cry blah blah etc.....

Smash
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Who is it that has dead brain cells????

Smoking must kill brain cells or something. Bring on the post smokers what ever you type look lis this to me.

blah blah my right blah blah no money blah cough cough blah blah its cold out blah blah cry cry blah blah etc.....

rhiley_08j
02-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Subaru, what point are you trying to make in your reply? The only point that came across to me is that you are narrow-minded in your thinking and that the only opinion that counts is your own. As for smokers complaing they have no money, hello, everyone complains they don't have enough money and we could all have more if we gave up our bad habits. Smoking or buying other things that we don't need. Remember something we were all non-smokers at one point in time and alot of us would like to be that way again. It is alot easier said than done. Also, just a reminder to you this is a forum in which you can freely express your opinions and if you don't like someones opinion than that's your choice but there is no need to try and degrate someone that doesn't share your point of view.

serialspell
02-14-2007, 06:36 PM
so subaru you should actually read all the posts i had before, i do not agreee with smoking and i am still trying to quit, do i cry about not having money, not really that is why i have a job, but people like you who have nothing good to say gives non smokers just as much of a bad name by not listening to anything

dolphins#1
02-14-2007, 10:42 PM
you mean to tell me people smole is that small little box bus stop well you know i smole but i sure would not smole in that place too small i would have enough respect to stand outside and try to hide my smoke i feel for those non smokers, sorry i had to say something...

Luvz_ya
02-14-2007, 11:25 PM
people will just complain about anything now a days , if you dont want them doing it in the bus shelter why dont you say anything? i dont smoke nor do i like it but who are you to tell someone they cant smoke outside? arent bus shelters just like a little roof thingy ? im sure it isnt going to kill anyone as its outside anyways

tred816
02-15-2007, 06:01 AM
I don't want to rock the boat, and I cannot take sides because I am a smoker myself, and I understand non smokers views as I was once one, plus my daughter is severely asthmatic, but I think what is sums up to is that smoker or non-smoker, we all need to have respect for others rights including a non-smokers right to not be forced to breath in second hand smoke in a bus shelter. However, in all seriousness for the comments of people walking by you or standing at a door way smoking, no one is going to die from smelling a cigarette burning as you are walking by. That would be like say that every car that is driving by is going to kill you with it's emmissions. In actually, yes I know that eventually prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke, car emmissions, genetically engineered food, and the list could go on and on, will eventually kill us. But what are we going to do, live in a bubble, this is life, these are choices that the western civilization as a whole has made, and now we must live with the consequences of our actions. Therefore, the only solution to it all is to try to be more humane, and consider how our actions not only affect ourself but also those around us. Respect each other in no matter what we do. We are all brothers and sisters that need to learn to survive together in this world.

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

I smoke, but quit for a year and a half before foolishly starting up again. I've lived on both sides of the spectrum and really think this is becoming more of an argument between smokers vs. non smokers when it's not. It's about R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
To knowingly light up in a shelter while non-smokers are trying to protect themselves from the cold is rude rude rude.
If I smoke, that's my choice, but to expose others to it is ignorant. I'd freeze outside or deal with not having one before putting others in a position of suffocating from it.

I also say this because my fiance and I constantly have the battle of him forgetting to roll his window down in the car. He figures it's ok...I, on the other hand, just about freak (even though I smoke lol) when I can't see through the smoke. It's like being in a house fire.
I agree it's a discusting habit, but we all have our crutch to bear. It seems like it's become more politically correct to smoke pot than smoke cigarettes.

One is illegal, the other is not. It's more about public opinion than right vs. wrong.

Before condemning anyone for being a smoker, consider your own nasty habit and stop RIGHT NOW! can you do it? Now picture a chemical in your body that makes you physically nuts if you don't have it. It's not about telling us to stop. This addiction isn't about sense. We all know the facts. Some of us even like it.

Mandi
02-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Before condemning anyone for being a smoker, consider your own nasty habit and stop RIGHT NOW! can you do it? Now picture a chemical in your body that makes you physically nuts if you don't have it. It's not about telling us to stop. This addiction isn't about sense. We all know the facts. Some of us even like it.
Unless asking someone not expose me to the negative side effects is condemning, I wouldn't say people are doing that. Not only is this about respect, but it's also a bilaw not to smoke in a bus shelter.

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
people will just complain about anything now a days , if you dont want them doing it in the bus shelter why dont you say anything? i dont smoke nor do i like it but who are you to tell someone they cant smoke outside? arent bus shelters just like a little roof thingy ? im sure it isnt going to kill anyone as its outside anyways

ITS THE LAW!!! PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE IN THE BUS SHELTER PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! or as you call it the little roof thingy.

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 09:33 AM
so subaru you should actually read all the posts i had before, i do not agreee with smoking and i am still trying to quit, do i cry about not having money, not really that is why i have a job, but people like you who have nothing good to say gives non smokers just as much of a bad name by not listening to anything

I did read your posts but your so narrow minded. Read your own posts again maybe you will get the point. The stink of smoke in the air the stink of it on smokers clothes and house and car are enough to make people sick. Most and I said most smokers don't even smell themselves anymore. An no I'm not narrow minded I go on just the facts. You can't handle the facts well tough luck for you.

Luvz_ya
02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
ITS THE LAW!!! PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE IN THE BUS SHELTER PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! or as you call it the little roof thingy.

so sorry i dont take buses i have what you call a car so i call them the lil things with the roof and If it is a law it shouldnt be because those "shelters" are outside where are these signs saying your not allowed to smoke in them? i asked a friend who takes the bus and she said there is none so it must not be

rhiley_08j
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Subaru, I think you need to look up in a dictionary, the definition of narrow-minded, nowhere in our posts did I or Serialspell, protray our opionion as being narrow-minded, as we can show empathy for others that do not smoke, however, once again by your narrow-minded responses you have proven that not only do you lack empathy for others, you are also close-minded towards others view and choose to potray this in an ignorrant way. Don't worry though someday you will learn acceptance of others.

serialspell
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
this is what i do not undersand, the goverment controlls the sales of cigarettes, then make products to help one quit them, and now tell the people that they sell them to where they can and cannot somke them

Lemme_LQQK
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Hahaha you guys are too funny....the way I see it is this , if you enter an area where there are people smoking , then you do either 1 of 2 things , you don't go in that area , because the smokers were there first , or you enter that area and "suck it up"

Just the same holds true for the smokers , if u approach an area filled with NON smokers , you have the option of either staying or leaving ..
It's as simple as that folks , and it's called respect, both ways.

Mandi
02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Hahaha you guys are too funny....the way I see it is this , if you enter an area where there are people smoking , then you do either 1 of 2 things , you don't go in that area , because the smokers were there first , or you enter that area and "suck it up"

Just the same holds true for the smokers , if u approach an area filled with NON smokers , you have the option of either staying or leaving ..
It's as simple as that folks , and it's called respect, both ways.
If I aproach a bus shelter with my baby, and 3 year old, and it's storming outside, I should have to wait outsiide the shelter because someone is breaking the law by smoking in the shelter and I choose not to subect my children to that? I think not.

jdcb
02-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm with Mandi on this. We both have the right to the shelter from the weather, and we both have the right to clean air. If you wish to exercise your privilage to smoke, go outside, don't infringe on my rights...

tred816
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
As a smoker, I agree with Mandi as well. I would intentionally leave the little shelter thingy and give it up for them rather than stay there selfishly hogging the clean air and the shelter.

I don't take the bus, but I used to during a time when it wasn't illegal and my opinion was the same then.

As to whether it's legal or not? I've never heard nor seen any evidence to say it isn't. No signs, no nothing...I'd say, in this case, it's up to those who are offended by it to go to their MLA and do something about it.

Most of us would rather err on the side of caution, but no sign? You're free to light up as far as most of us are concerned.

tred816
02-15-2007, 12:15 PM
by the way subaru...ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED YELLING! It's not necessary to yell at us as we're all entitled to our opinions. Narrow minded???? US??? HAH!

Look at the pot calling the kettle black!

amethyst
02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
subaru...you don't hate smoking or anything do ya?? It's kind of hard from your posts to see which side of the fence your on.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/smokelots.gif

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/chillpill.gif http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/zen.gif

alaska
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm with Mandi on this. We both have the right to the shelter from the weather, and we both have the right to clean air. If you wish to exercise your privilage to smoke, go outside, don't infringe on my rights...

amen to ya!

sugadip
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM
There used to be no smoking signs inside the shelters, some were scrapped off by people, other times the plexiglass on the shelters were broken. If you were to call SJ Transit or ask a bus driver they will tell you that the shelters are non-smoking.

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Lol

:) at least some peeps in here have a sense of humor :):):)

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
so sorry i dont take buses i have what you call a car so i call them the lil things with the roof and If it is a law it shouldnt be because those "shelters" are outside where are these signs saying your not allowed to smoke in them? i asked a friend who takes the bus and she said there is none so it must not be

Why are you all saying its not illegal? Did you not click on the link earlier in this post? Click on the link http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/s-09-5.htm if you don't believe me but below is a quote from the web site if you notice the (b) an outdoor bus or taxi shelter, So it is against the law to do it so don't do it. Did you hear the real reason why the dinosaur's became extinct? Cause they smoked:) I saw that on my "The Far Side" calender.

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick, enacts as follows:

Definitions and interpretation
1(1) The following definitions apply in this Act.
"employee" includes any person who is receiving instruction or training, or who is serving an apprenticeship. (employé)

"employer" includes any person who has control over or direction of, or is directly or indirectly responsible for, a person's activities as an employee. (employeur)

"enclosed public place" means all or any part of building or other enclosed place, other than a group living facility, to which members of the public have access as of right or by express or implied invitation, and includes

(a) the common areas of multi-unit residential building,

(b) an outdoor bus or taxi shelter,

sjchickie
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Subaru....that is a BYLAW its not ILLEGAL....if you called the police there is NO charge of fine...as i said I asked my father who IS a city transit bus drive has been for 10 years and is well aware of the laws as to Smoking in the bus stop. Its frowned upon and its a bylaw..but its not actually illegal...Jaywalking is a BYLAW its not illegal. Take a law class it will greatly open your mind to the other side of things. Just because it says that on the website doesnt mean its implemented or followed. Thats the difference between a Bi law and a Law...Just like the harper government stating they will not follow the "Law" implented by the opposition to integrate the Kyoto protcol by 2012. IF he ignored it thats ILLEGAL and he can be held liable. Something in the bus stop will not get ya thrown in the slammer or given a fine.
Its about respect...There are people who get mad if Smokers blow the wrong way. The government has made tabacco legal and if you got an issue with it email harper :) .....They control sales and taxes and prices yet they tell us where to Smoke....its ridiculous. Inside yes we shouldnt do it...but one breath of cigarette Smoke isnt gonna have harmful affects on anyone. Just like marijuana infact in Nova scotia you can carry 7gs around and its not even a fine....SOOOOOOO what this all comes back to is that there are holes and wrongs in the law all over the board and to really for someone such as subaru to get so mad over something so miniscule i just find rather halarious. You seem very opinionated in the sense that no one elses opinion seems to suffice to your own? Why is that? This is an online forum where we discuss things..dont like it ...leave

notfarnow
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Subaru,

You may have to use smaller words to help them understand. I mean really... if we have to explain why a bus shelter is an enclosed space... they're probably taking the short bus anyway

rhiley_08j
02-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Well said SJchickie, couldn't have said it better myself

notfarnow
02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Well said SJchickie, couldn't have said it better myself

Nope, you probably couldn't have

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Subaru....that is a BYLAW its not ILLEGAL....if you called the police there is NO charge of fine...as i said I asked my father who IS a city transit bus drive has been for 10 years and is well aware of the laws as to Smoking in the bus stop. Its frowned upon and its a bylaw..but its not actually illegal...Jaywalking is a BYLAW its not illegal. Take a law class it will greatly open your mind to the other side of things. Just because it says that on the website doesnt mean its implemented or followed. Thats the difference between a Bi law and a Law...Just like the harper government stating they will not follow the "Law" implented by the opposition to integrate the Kyoto protcol by 2012. IF he ignored it thats ILLEGAL and he can be held liable. Something in the bus stop will not get ya thrown in the slammer or given a fine.
Its about respect...There are people who get mad if Smokers blow the wrong way. The government has made tabacco legal and if you got an issue with it email harper :) .....They control sales and taxes and prices yet they tell us where to Smoke....its ridiculous. Inside yes we shouldnt do it...but one breath of cigarette Smoke isnt gonna have harmful affects on anyone. Just like marijuana infact in Nova scotia you can carry 7gs around and its not even a fine....SOOOOOOO what this all comes back to is that there are holes and wrongs in the law all over the board and to really for someone such as subaru to get so mad over something so miniscule i just find rather halarious. You seem very opinionated in the sense that no one elses opinion seems to suffice to your own? Why is that? This is an online forum where we discuss things..dont like it ...leave

That was a long post how many cigs did you suck back typing that? I did not say that if a person smoked in a bus stop they would be put in jail for life. I just put a link too the facts. Hey if the bi-law cant make up its mind to play for one team what can I say. :) Only a select few may get that joke if you do great if not well. I seem very opinionated well maybe so but sometimes it takes that to get it through some peoples head. Its like right there is black and white for them to read. Maybe it cant find the way from all the smoke blowing around their heads it gets lost somehow.

It cant get anymore clear its a law, bi-law, rule what ever you call it people can not smoke in bus shelters. Once again click on the link as stated before and read it.

And no I really don't get mad more like I feel sorry for people like that and would really like to help but you can only help those that want it I guess no matter how much you try.

jdcb
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
but one breath of cigarette Smoke isnt gonna have harmful affects on anyone

Actually, it can...

serialspell
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
"And no I really don't get mad more like I feel sorry for people like that and would really like to help but you can only help those that want it I guess no matter how much you try."

hey subaru if this is how you feel then why were you one of the first to jump down my throat about my opinion on this instead of helping me understand a law that i did not fully know about?

Most people are quick to judge instead of understanding anothers point of view, there will always be two sides

sjchickie
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Grrrr thats all i have to say about this...actually no it cant..and anyone who is gonna sit there and tell me that one breath of cigarette Smoke gave them cancer is full of it. The sun gives you cancer ....cel phones give you cancer...and everyone is complaining about a puff of smoke...lets bug the alcoholics with their beer guts gross smelling breath and the MILLION calories they injust everytime they drink....thats what im getting at is that lots of things cause cancer

Lemme_LQQK
02-15-2007, 06:37 PM
This gets more amusing evry time I read it.
It takes very little to get some people going.......lol
And I only sucked back half a cig on this one...

Luvz_ya
02-15-2007, 06:43 PM
i just think this thread is stupid is there anything in this world that people wont complain about ?doubt it , like people do smoke so either step up and say something to that person if you dont wish them to do so around you or swollow it and dont say anything at all and get over it dont come online and complain about , it does not help the matter what so ever iknow if it was me and i had my kids with me like mandy did i would be saying something !!! be nice about it and im sure they wont have a problem respecting you and your "clean air" although saint john air isnt very clean:p :rofl: and its about to get worse but thats another story .....:rolleyes:

Luvz_ya
02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
This gets more amusing evry time I read it.
It takes very little to get some people going.......lol
And I only sucked back half a cig on this one...

hahaa thats so true !

Luvz_ya
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Grrrr thats all i have to say about this...actually no it cant..and anyone who is gonna sit there and tell me that one breath of cigarette Smoke gave them cancer is full of it. The sun gives you cancer ....cel phones give you cancer...and everyone is complaining about a puff of smoke...lets bug the alcoholics with their beer guts gross smelling breath and the MILLION calories they injust everytime they drink....thats what im getting at is that lots of things cause cancer

Saint John's "CLEAN" air probably gives you cancer as well :rofl:

Mandi
02-15-2007, 06:50 PM
i just think this thread is stupid is there anything in this world that people wont complain about ?doubt it , like people do smoke so either step up and say something to that person if you dont wish them to do so around you or swollow it and dont say anything at all and get over it dont come online and complain about , it does not help the matter what so ever iknow if it was me and i had my kids with me like mandy did i would be saying something !!! be nice about it and im sure they wont have a problem respecting you and your "clean air" although saint john air isnt very clean:p :rofl: and its about to get worse but thats another story .....:rolleyes:
I did say something. :P

subaru2222
02-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Maybe I'm reading the wrong post but no where does it say you will get cancer from one puff of cig smoke? Did you ever hear of allergies or asthma. Thats what they meant by one puff.

What if I was drinking in a bus stop and you were there and I forced you to have a drink of beer? Would you be happy? Don't think so. Smoking same thing you chose to smoke and force me to breath your 2nd hand smoke. Why is one ok and not the other. What if I was nuts (no comment:)) and I liked to spray ketchup on myself and you were near me and I sprayed ketchup on you. You would flip out even though ketchup will not give you cancer. extram point but I think you get the point. Sure habits are hard to quit I understand that but dont force other people to share in your habit.

Mandi
02-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Smoking as a habit is as gross to me as flicking boogers at people... I have the up most respect for smokers who can control their habbit by not making it interfere with the lives of innocent bi standers. (those who are considerate by smoking out side the bus shelter, or don't smoke Directly beside the no smoking signs on the GIant Tiger/ pesquare mall entrance. Those people = :P )