PDA

View Full Version : What part of SJ did we grow up in?

Murphinator
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I was born and raised in SJ, but moved to NS 14 years ago. I visit iSaintJohn regularly to stay atop of things that happen in my birth city..

Was just wondering what part of town we all grew up in, or what elementary, Jr. High/High School we all went to.

For me I grew up on Exmouth Street, went to St. Joseph's Catholic School till grade 9 and them to Millidgeville North (81)

Chinna Dah
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I grew up on the west side (and have never left) I lived on Dufferine Row and Chapel St, and went to St Patricks school and Beaconsfield Junior high school. I graduated from St. Vincents in 92

trinity
02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I lived on the west side for 35 years, went to Havelock and Beaconsfield and then made the big leap to St. V's uptown. From the first week I went on the bus uptown I wanted to live here. In the middle of that 35 years I lived for 6 months in Vancouver. When I was in Van, I never missed here once. Now that I am back, I miss there just about every day and can't wait for a chance to get back. It's funny, most of the people I knew who moved out of the west side spend years longing to get back, and they all did. But since I moved uptown, I have not missed the west side except for the space my house had, but I don't miss the mill, the nosy neighbours, the bridge tolls etc. I guess I'm just a big city gal, I could live right ON King St and not find it urban enough.

shadoww
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I grew up westside too, went to Seawood, Beaconsfield the Saint John High, We live East now and no way would I ever go back back west, everything is out here, its so convenient, all the good restaurants, the movie theaters, the MALL, its all here. We love it East!!

fullprop
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm a big time Eastsider. Grew up out past the Jail on Goldsworthy Rd. Went to East Saint John Elementary, Bayside and St Macs ('98).
Theres no town quite like Stink town thats for sure!!

TrueLine
02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I grew up North and have always stayed North, when living in the city. I've lived and worked across the country and worked most of the worlds oceans. Now I live uptown North (millidgeville) lol.
You Eastsiders can have the malls, movies, and resturants. I don't mind driving 20 min out to that area if it keeps the nightmare out of my back yard. I find the weather and that refinery taste in east SJ very unplesant. We rarely get any of Saint Johns' famous odors out here.
As far as comming home to the city, even with all the warts and smells, this is still a great place! I guess it's the people. When people from other parts of the country start shooting SJ down I just remind them that we live alongside two big rivers, thousands of lakes, The Atlantic Ocean and Greenspaces for mile upon mile.

amethyst
02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I grew up east with the exception of my parents moving out to Westfield for 3 years. I went to Champlain heights, Westfield, Rivervalley, Bayside, St. Macs.

I wont live anywhere but east. Tried north for a few years...definately NOT for me:eek:

sjchickie
02-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm very east side spent my whole life there until i left to live elsewhere in this fine country. I graduated from simonds. I just moved to the north end and truly i like the east side. The hussle and bussle over there is fine for me. Its quiet and there is more to do

andrea
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
still not dun grownin
but lived in rothesay then moved to city's north end,,(beaverbrooke ave)
went to p.e.s
then on to voc 92"
i love my city
i have moved away,, and came back... miss my water
miss my stinky air
now i live in rothesay again
wishing i was back in town lol
people need to fight back...our small city has huge ghettos...
time to clean em up!!

Mandi
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I lived south until my 19 bbirthday, when i moved out to the east side, and then moved uptown, and am back east. i like it east. I think I'll stay here.

head_first
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I grew up in Redhead..Went to East Saint John, then Bayside and Simonds High.. I moved north when I was 19 and left there to go uptown and hated both so now I'm back east...Close to work and everything else!!

tred816
02-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I grew up in Morrisdale, but travelled the long bus ride to Millidgeville North French Immersion for 9 long long years. I then moved to town (east, north, west etc...lol I tried em all except uptown & South).

Went to Vocational for high school and loved it! Moved back out to Westfield as soon as I could get a house last year and love being outside the fog belt even if it entails a long drive to work everyday lol.

TrueLine
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Morrisdale is great! We used to hit that beach instead of Crystal. Great parties at nite too!

ceg
02-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I grew up in the country in Quispamsis. I spent 19 years there, I lived East for 9 months and uptown for 6 months, and I'm moving back home next month. I love it out there. No funky smells, no people running around yelling at all hours, not many cars, no kids that scream all day... Just space and quiet.

I went to Rothesay Elementary, Rothesay Park Middle, and Rothesay High.

space
02-14-2007, 04:05 AM
was born and grew up in sj. I lived south, east, north, uptown, never lived west. lived out east most of my life from 1980 to 1998. moved back over north for several years. now I live back east very handy to were I use to live and I like the area.. and all my family and relatives lives east.

here's some of the schools I went to. king edward sj the baptist. centennial, alexandra favorite school. prince charles, & holy trinity favorite school, and also st. josephs school. when I was living out east I went to prince charles. never went to high school . stupid me..lol

angeliiiss
02-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Started out in south end..went to St,John The Baptist school..moved east and went to Simonds Junior High(yes junior..I am old lol) then Simonds High..moved further east til I hit St. Martins..now I am between St.Martins and Hampton and love it.

corkyjim
02-14-2007, 07:10 AM
I grew up in Milford/Randolfe area. I went to Dennis Morris school on Greenhead Rd for grade 1, then it closed down (1982). Spent the rest of my elementary/Jr.High in Saint Rose...then on to Voc for high school.
I've lived in East Saint John for the last 8 years and have grown to like the convenience of it. Most of my family is still in Milford. When the weather is crappy out East, it's always nice in Milford.

ksbeckaa
02-14-2007, 07:26 AM
I grew up in Montreal and Halifax, and live out past Grand Bay and love it.

LiLLY
02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Grew up North Went to Hazen White then SJHS!

Marigold
02-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I grew up East, and have lived there much of my life. Grew up for the most part in Silver Falls, took the bus to Crescent Valley and Millidgeville North for French Immersion for nine years, then to St. Mac's for High School. University at St. Thomas in Fredericton. I also lived in St. Andrews for four years, but honestly, small town life is not for me!! We live near Loch Lomond Mall now, but it's my goal to eventually buy a house out in Lakewood Heights where most of my family now lives.

s

Woofer
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
i was born in newcastle NB but grew up on the west side and have been living east last 15 years ,went to st patricks school and barnhill.

amethyst
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
i was born in newcastle NB but grew up on the west side and have been living east last 15 years ,went to st patricks school and barnhill.

My parents are from that area :) well...dad is from Chatham and my mom Escuminac. :)

amethyst
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I grew up East, and have lived there much of my life. Grew up for the most part in Silver Falls, took the bus to Crescent Valley and Millidgeville North for French Immersion for nine years, then to St. Mac's for High School. University at St. Thomas in Fredericton. I also lived in St. Andrews for four years, but honestly, small town life is not for me!! We live near Loch Lomond Mall now, but it's my goal to eventually buy a house out in Lakewood Heights where most of my family now lives.

s

does doubleas at TP ring a bell to you??:)

Woofer
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
i would love to eventually move back .

amethyst
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
gah..not me...i spent almost every summer up there as a kid. When i became a teenager...there was nothing to do but drugs and drink lol. I can't stand it. Too small and the mindset is the same. No offense to you of course LOL.

My mother's family is still up there...a couple of dad's sisters are up there too.

Dancn Qun
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM

My Mother lives in Newcastle until she was in her 20's then she brought me up in Quispamsis then I moved to SJ when I was 21.

christine chittick
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I was born in Nova Scotia, moved to Saint John just after I turned 13. Lived West most of the time, lived in Milford for a couple of years, then lived North for 4-5 months, and in French Village for a couple months, and then moved back to the west side - and now own a house on the westside.

Went to school at St. Patrick's and Saint John High - graduated in '97.

Milford is a very nice quiet area but still in the city. Very nice place to live. I like where I am currently too because I am so close to everything - literally. LOL.

pamb
02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
i was born in nfld and moved here for school i've been north and east and i like east better.

now my husband lived in grand bay till he was 4 and east.he went to cresent valley millidgeville and woodlawn for elementry and to bayside and then to simonds high(98)

Cherry Pop
02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I grew up in east sj. I went to Lakewood Heights Elementary, Simonds Junior High, and Saint John High School. I have lived East, North, and am currently living uptown. I love east though and would like to move back there within the next few years!

amethyst
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
i was born in nfld and moved here for school i've been north and east and i like east better.

now my husband lived in grand bay till he was 4 and east.he went to cresent valley millidgeville and woodlawn for elementry and to bayside and then to simonds high(98)

now THAT sounds like my brother. but of course it couldn't be

Trey
02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
East, Loch lomond road...but moved to Sussex for about 11 years and have been back in east saint john since about october!

Mandy
02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Grew up East, moved to Millidgeville, still here.
Champlain Heights, Simonds Jr., St. Macs, NBCC-SJ.

The_Dave
02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I grew up in Rockwood court, in an era when it was great. We had Skating and hockey rinks, baseball diamonds, boxing club, football and soccer fields lots of woods to explore, lots of friends to hang out with and play sports and games with, lots of parents who were involved in everyone's activites and the organized activities. You could leave your doors unlocked. Man that place was happening. Lots of great people came out of Rockwood Court. I still have friends that I hang out with today that I have known since I was 3 or 4 years old in Rockwood Court. I lived there until I was 19, since then I have lived in every part of the city and then some.

I went ( walked ) to Holy Trinity and PES, then ( bused ) on to Millidgeville until 81, I went to Simonds High, and graduated in 82. I did live in
Toronto for 6 years but there is NO place like home where all your family and friends are.

MissMem
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
I grew up west, went to Havelock for elementary, then St.Rose, and graduated from St.Macs in 2003. Still living west, going to UNBSJ.

friskeywhiskey
02-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Grew up on the eastside then moved to the westside about 12 years ago and aside from 1 year living out east have lived on the westside since then. Went to Woodlawn then Bayside Junior then St. Vincent's before UNBSJ.

pepsimama
02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I lived in various places in town with my parents when I was a toddler then lived on Tower Street West until I was almost 7. We moved to Millidgeville that year and that's where I lived until I moved out and got married back in 89.

I went to King George School on Bentley Street, Crescent Valley School, and Samuel de Champlain (first graduating class, 86).

Now I live in Red Head and really like the area here. It feels like the country and I can still see the bay. I love the water and waves very much.

We've got a little store in town now and it has me thinking that maybe I wouldn't mind living uptown some day too.

dittydottie
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I grew up in the south end,went to King Edward School,Prince Charles School,Saint John High School.
Got married stayed south for awhile then moved to Millidgeville for a few years after having 2 kids, we then moved back to South End and I had child #3.
They all went to Sint John Baptist/King Edward School until the youngest started grade 2 then we moved to Redhead and they all went to East Saint John School,then Bayside Middle School and the Simonds High School.
I am still here in Redhead but 2 of my children are married and living in the South End.

pamb
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
now THAT sounds like my brother. but of course it couldn't be

guess what it is sis

me and her both on here
well more me then her

amethyst
02-15-2007, 05:25 AM
:rolleyes: you cant get your own username "little bro"? and what's with the "b"
Do i get to start calling you pammie? http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/fryingpan.gif

stop calling me "sis" you know i hate that. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/Amethyst34/gaah.gif

and use punctuation or the grammar police will be all over your butt.:rolleyes:

guess what it is sis

me and her both on here
well more me then her

pamb
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
i can get one if i wanted
we had this account before we got married
and stop making fun of my grammar

Crystalbeach
02-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I was born and raised in the north end...went to St. Peter's, St. Vincent's and Mount Carmel..
Lived in Lakewood Heights, Fairvale and Quispamis for a number of years and now living again in the north end..
I really like the conveniences here.

DA1983
02-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Grew up on the west side for 17 years....then moved uptown for 3 and east for a year....Now Im back west but I want to move uptown or east very soon!
Went to Havelock Elementry, Beaconsfield Jr High(2 years..they changed it so grade 9 goes to highschool the year i was in grade 8)...Then went on to HVHS for a year....then St. Macs for a year...then back to HVHS lol

amethyst
02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
nevermind.

i can get one if i wanted
we had this account before we got married
and stop making fun of my grammar

cjohnson
02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
I grew up in Morrisdale, but travelled the long bus ride to Millidgeville North French Immersion for 9 long long years. I then moved to town (east, north, west etc...lol I tried em all except uptown & South).

Went to Vocational for high school and loved it! Moved back out to Westfield as soon as I could get a house last year and love being outside the fog belt even if it entails a long drive to work everyday lol.

I grew up in Morrisdale too until I graduated and moved East, North, West and then out to Grand Bay. SJ wasn't for me.

Dan_Man
02-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I grew up on the West Side.
I lived in Greystone Terrace until I was 5 then moved to Milford for many years :)
I then moved to Riverview in October 2005 for work and I've been here ever since.

I do travel back to Saint John on a regular basis. I just can't let Saint John go :P
Milford is a great area, I enjoyed growing up there.

I went to Samuel De Champlain from pre-kindergarten to Grade 12, graduated in 2000.
I did one year at UNBSJ then I took the Electronics Engineering Technology (Data Option) at NBCCSJ, graduated in 2005.

If I were to move back to Saint John, I would definitely move back to the West Side.

peewee
02-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I lived in Brown's flat until I was 22 moved to SJ for 3 years then bought a house in Grand Bay and still here.I will never go back to SJ ,the weather sucks...Graduated from Voc.(loved it)

eugeneb
02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Lived in north end and went hazen white school
moved west the just after the big ground hog day storm
went in navy for two years, then worked on irving oil tankers for four years
seen a lot of the world been all over, but keep ending up back here.

drakelogan
02-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi, i have lived in St J for 5 years now....however I'm from up north...but when i was 14 my mother took terribly ill with a near fatal illness and could not take care of me...My family could not take care of me due to different unfortunate circumstances and i was sent to live in foster care here in saint john! Well in the year that i lived here I had made some great friends however, over the years I have sadly lost touch with them....So I thought when i saw this ad about people growing up in ST J perhaps somebody could help me find an old friend?? Her name was Theresa Doucette she had pretty brown eyes, & short black hair and lived on james St west i think, she would more than likely have been a Hairstylist because she seemed to love that type of work lol....if anyone knows a number or location for her or could get me in touch with her I'd be soo grateful. you or she can call me at 672-5586 or email me at badinpei@hotmail.com

thanks,

Brian

Woofer
02-17-2007, 07:38 PM
last i heard she was in toronto. that was years ago i grew up on st james st and hung with her alot, was even in sea cadets with her. i'm pretty sure its the same girl., my brother and sister both went to new albert. i went to st patricks.

TrueLine
02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Same story here Eugeneb. grew up north. Navy @ 18 2 yrs. Coast Guard. Kent lines around 1984? Wood, Nordic, Eskimo. Navy time was west coast. Restigouche '78-80.

drakelogan
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for you reply and the info on theresa....it's too bad she is soo far away I would love to contact her....

Thanks again.

Luvz_ya
02-17-2007, 09:11 PM
I lived in nova scotia and moved here off and on until i was 12 went to KCA in kentville NS , forest hills SJ , Port Williams elementry NS , St Mac's NB and Simonds NB and NBCC I miss nova scotia , when i get my Schooling finished i plan on moving back!!!

blepton
03-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I grew up far east in Baxter's Corner. I went to Loch Lomond School ('85-'92), Bayside ('92-'95) and then St Mac's ('95-'98). Did anyone go to those schools during that time? I'd be interested to see how everyone is!!

dale & barb
03-06-2007, 08:20 AM
I grew up lower west right beside new albert school (90-97) last grade 7 class, then beaconsfield (98-99) then harbour view graduating in 2002 ...moved twice and both times came back within 6 months, its funny because Im actually living in the house I did when I was growing up. they say once a maritimer always a maritimer i think the same applies for lower westers...Im one for life haha

amethyst
03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I grew up far east in Baxter's Corner. I went to Loch Lomond School ('85-'92), Bayside ('92-'95) and then St Mac's ('95-'98). Did anyone go to those schools during that time? I'd be interested to see how everyone is!!

I think my brother went to bayside at that time. i could be wrong though..i went to both bayside and st.macs..but many years before you lol..almost 10

Rae_Maill
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I started out on the west side going to st pat's til grade 5, then we moved north and i went to st peters then we moved east and i went to champlain heights, then back west to beaconsfield then on to St. Macs from 95 to 99(yea took me an extra year, that is what i got for enjoying the teenage years a little too much) and now attend unbsj i now live north and i hate it i miss the brewery smell as silly as that sounds.

fullprop
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Blepton...I was at Bayside and St Mac's at the same time as you.

What is your name?

BettyH
03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I grew up in Grand Bay, and now am residing near Saint John Marina. I never left the Saint John River area. Love the River!!!!!

mell
03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Grew up west, went to Crescent Valley/Millidgeville North and then high school @ St. Mac's (Class of 1996).

Love the west side!! it's almost hard to leave... would consider a few other places but west for now.

eugeneb
03-07-2007, 06:10 AM
A lot of fellow west siders here,do any of you know the byers family that lived on Beaconsfield ave back in the 80's

Lemme_LQQK
03-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Always lived East Saint John just outside the city but still in the city limits. Then moved to Main Street North , then back East, that was yrs and yrs ago still live East "just outside city,but within city limits) just up the road from where I first started where I grew up...lol

No matter where we grew up ,we move away , the place we call home pulls us back in like a magnet doesn't it?..lol

Hmmmmmm, think we have something in common with Salmon???...lol

If you ask me there sure is something fishy about it....hahahahaha

Mandi
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I went to sjb-ke elementary/middle school, and Saint Malachy's High school . I actually kind of miss the south end sometiems although it seems to be going kind of down hill. I liked it by the water down there.