PDA

View Full Version : Well. I did it.....

inuit
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, I did it. I painted the top of my white stove black. I went to ct and bought black high gloss tremclad. I cleaned the stove top really well to remove any oil or grease. I then taped it and applied the first coat at 830 last night. When i went to bed, it was still wet and when I got up this am at 7 am , it was still tacky. I turned up the heat and in about 3 hours it was dry to the touch. I then applied the second coat. That dried in about 3 hours so I took all of the tape off.

It looks really good. Shiny and black and a little hubbly something like my hubbly fridge. Looks good but I am afraid to wash it. Will the paint come off? I am afraid to try. LOL I did not use the stove today but I will need to tomorrow. Wish me luck. LOL:p

trinity
11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
i spray painted some old asbestos floor tiles once. worked fairly well, they were all faded and scratched but there was no money to replace them. let us know how it works out i.e. staying power.

inuit
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I will. I'm wondering now if maybe I should have taken coarse sandpaper and scoured it a bit. Oh well, too late now. LOL We will see.

inuit
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I have washed the stovetop a few times now with a cloth and dishwashing liquid. Seems fine so far. Well attached and not loose or anything. I have not had occasion yet to really scrub it because I haven't burned anything on it yet. I'm sure I will. LOL I will post and let you now how it takes a severe scrubbing.

Chinna Dah
12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
How is it holding up to the heat?

inuit
12-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, so far it seems o.k. Tonight I boiled over supper and it's all burned on the stovetop so I will have to give it a good elbow grease scrubbing. My kids always said they knew when supper was ready because they heard the smoke detector going off. Oh my. LOL

inuit
12-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, I scrubbed the stovetop with a teflon scrubber and I see 3 litrtle spots where the black has come off. Guess I should have scoured it with sandpaper before I painted it. Lesson learned. Wonder hoe long it will be before it comes in big chunks and looks horrid?

Coston07
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
If you didnt sand the surface first chances are that it will come off. It needs some sort of profile to stick too. Hopefully it wont tho.

inuit
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Do you think BIN would work as a primer for tremclad?

Coston07
12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I deal mostly in industrial coatings which does not include tremclad :) but if you call Glidden at 634-2017 they should guide you in the right direction.

inuit
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks Coston, I'll do that. I used to know someone who took his appliances to a car painter and they painted all of them. The colour never came off or anything.