http://www.saintjohn.ca/images/SantaClausParadeLogo.JPG
MEDIA RELEASE
November 13, 2008
56th Annual Saint John Santa Claus Parade
Parade Date: Saturday, November 15th, 2008 Start Time: 6:00PM
Theme: Christmas and Seasonal Holidays around the World
Parade Hotline: 633-9797

STREET CLOSURES:
Please note that the Causeway (all 4 lanes) will be blocked off beginning at 4:00pm on Sat. Nov. 15th for parade line-up.

PARADE ROUTE:
The Parade Route will be the same route as last year. The parade will leave the Causeway, go onto Union St., left on Sydney St., right on King’s Square North, left on Charlotte St., down King St. and on to St. Patrick, on to Main St., right on Lansdowne Ave., and right at Wellesley Blvd. These streets will be closed off during the parade.
- Citizens are asked to not park on King Street beginning at 5 pm.
- Any vehicles parked anywhere along the parade route after 5:30 p.m. will be towed.
- Please be aware of and obey all signage along the parade route.

NOTES FOR PARADE ENTRIES:
- Enter the Causeway from Bayside Drive.
- No horn blowing.
- Absolutely no tossing or handing out of candy, pamphlets, etc.
- At the end of the parade route, floats turn right at Deluxe, and walking groups go straight to the next intersection (then turn left or right).

COMMUNITY FOOD BANK:
Please bring grocery bags with non-perishable food items to the Saint John Santa Claus Parade! City workers will be gathering the groceries along the parade route just before the parade begins. The food will be delivered to the Community Food Bank. FERO Waste & Recycling Inc. will be matching these donations. Thank you!

LETTERS TO SANTA CLAUS:
Children with letters to Santa Claus - the letters will be picked up along the parade route just before Santa Claus. Be sure to include your return mailing address!

COATS FOR KIDS
NBCC Saint John will be picking up coats for kids. Be sure to bring any unused and outgrown coats for kids so they can be used to keep children warm this winter! They will be picking up coats right after food bank donations are picked up. Thank you!

For more information, please contact: Peter Asimakos - General Manager
Uptown Saint John Inc. - 506.633.1426, peter@uptownsj.com

Click here for more... (http://www.saintjohn.ca/article-details.cfm?ArticleID=96C0C12D-D830-7C57-30F14354D5386017)

a.b.and.her.two
11-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Anyone know if there is a raindate :)

mickeymouse
11-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I dont think so. They are saying on the radio, RAIN or SHINE.

donteatrawpotatoes
11-15-2008, 08:22 AM
what about it being shown on TV does anyone know of that? My little pumpkins are both sick :( !

mickeymouse
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I was wondering the same thing. My son is sick as well. And this year would be a great year to take him. Every where he goes and sees Santa he gets excited.

donteatrawpotatoes
11-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I was wondering the same thing. My son is sick as well. And this year would be a great year to take him. Every where he goes and sees Santa he gets excited.

:)! Don't you LOVE that?! it gets me so excited. One of my favorite memories is when my daughter was 2-3 and we were in the mall, she saw Santa and started singing Jingle Bells. SO CUTE! I really hope that we can watch the parade on tv, because I can't take the youngins :(

babydoll101
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
what about it being shown on TV does anyone know of that? My little pumpkins are both sick :( !

They did show it last year, but on a different date. I don't think it is live. I could be wrong though!

rhiley_08j
11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I hope they decide to have a rain date, I feel bad for all the kids that will have to walk in the soaking rain. I think the weather will definitely put a damper on things.

kaj27
11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Has anyone actually called the # to see if there is a rain date?

sanstu
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Has anyone actually called the # to see if there is a rain date?

Called the #. Parade is a go rain or shine.

rhiley_08j
11-15-2008, 01:33 PM
That's foolish, why can't they postpone it till next weekend or whenever the weather will be nicer. This will definitely put a damper on things, and no pun intended. Who makes this decision?

stripekv
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
How will they know when the weather will be nice. If they postpone it until next weekend, then you conflict with the KV Santa Parade aswell as a Sea Dogs game vs Moncton. A little rain never hurt anyone. Bring an umbrella.

babydoll101
11-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry but I would rather have it rain then snow or very cold and have to stand out there freezing our tushies off!!

rhiley_08j
11-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Rainfall warning issued. Wind gusts at 40 to 60 km/hr... great day for a parade. Only in Saint John.

wildberry
11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I think this sucks!!! The poor little ones that are in the parade will be soaking wet. What about the marching bands and there instruments? This will be the first time, we will have too miss the parade. I cannot allow my 3 year old who already has a cough to stand out in the rain.

beckettjag
11-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I really wish it was live on Rogers,One of my kids is sick too.She's upset about missing it

dittydottie
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Christmas is for kids ----to be sick???

T4
11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
My daughter's "float" coordinator told them on Friday, that they were pulling out of the parade because of the weather report. I think it was a good call on their part. Come Monday morning there will either be fewer kids at school because of illness or ones coming in with it passing it on to the others. I know that it would be impossible to "predict" another good date, but would have been a good idea.

It's hard enough to see in the dark on a good night as far as safety is concerned, let alone with rain hampering it even more. I hope that all that participate and those that are braving the weather to watch stay SAFE!

rhiley_08j
11-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't forget everyone, the Toronto Santa Claus parade is on tomorrow night at 5:00 p.m. You can sit on your couch, snuggle up with your kids, have some hot chocolate, and enjoy a family tradition. All is not lost!

babydoll101
11-15-2008, 07:11 PM
We watched it in our car. I must say though, it was the shortest parade yet!!

mickeymouse
11-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah we watched from our car as well. It was short this year, but I expected that to tell you the truth. I wouldnt have wanted or allowed my child to participate in the rain.

justme77
11-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I was watching it in the rain with garbage bags and still managed to get pneumonia..Watching the kids get tired, I do think they should go back to having it in the daytime too. Just my opinion .

Blazingsun
11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
My granddaughter watched in the rain. It was 14 degrees out. Besides the old saying of "catching a cold" is a myth. Being outside in cold weather lowers your resistance but it does not enable you or cause you to catch a cold or the pneumonia. Infact if you got that pneumonia you were infected with that 14 days or more before you were actually diganosed. Same with colds and such you if you were already carrying the virus than yes being out in the cold can speed up the proccess but it is not a direct cause. Personally I love the rain. For those kids/parents who did brave the rain, good for you! Life is only lived once and although it may not be for everyone for those who did im sure a good time was had :)