PDA

View Full Version : Calico Cats

care1978
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
anybody know anything about the behaviour of calico cats, i have one and she seems to be very,very aggressive and stubborn and extremely defiant, she is wonderful with our little guy, but she is always attacking us, especially at night, also it doesnt matter how many times you shoo her down from the table she will literally go down and then seconds later right back up! i have tried squirting her with water.... this doesnt phase her in the least.... i love the kitty, my son loves the kitty, but if something doesnt change really soon with Lucy's behaviour, i am going to have to seriously give some thought to adopting her out, i am very open to any suggestions, maybe somebody out there has a calico(not sure but am thinking it has to do with the breed).
thanks in advance!

sparkly_panther
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Well I have a Calico, she is still a baby though. I think what you described sounds quite familiar, however mine is still a kitten. She will bite at our feet, but only when she wants to play (or when we are sleeping and our feet stick out from under the covers) She is very affectionate though, she always wants to be near us and see what we are doing. Have you thought about getting her spayed? That might help

care1978
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Well I have a Calico, she is still a baby though. I think what you described sounds quite familiar, however mine is still a kitten. She will bite at our feet, but only when she wants to play (or when we are sleeping and our feet stick out from under the covers) She is very affectionate though, she always wants to be near us and see what we are doing. Have you thought about getting her spayed? That might help
Lucy is a real sulk, and doesnt want to be left alone for any length of time, she too is still a kitten, but i have never met a kitten as aggressive as her i just find it funny that she attacks us but doesnt bother with the 19 month old that is trying to swing her around by her tail( not literally of course ) and why wont she obey the "no cats on the table" rule.... i guess ill just have to wait and see, thanks for the input:)

marriedchickie
02-12-2007, 07:31 AM
My sister had a calico (Gizmo is her name) and she's full of uuhh energy hehe. She is more the agressive of the cats in our family. She's playful and goes all day. However, at night time, we call her the "log roller" she'll lay on your hip, back, whatever, and if you roll over, she'll walk along like you're a log and then settle back down. it's hilarious. On colder nights, she'll go down where your feet and and curl up there.

Now my husband and I we have a grey/cream calico. She's only playful when our other kitten wants to play. she lays in the sun beams, and all over my massive stuffed "Hulk" (my husband won it for me when we first started dating hehe), or sprawled out on the back of the couch with the other cat.

care1978
02-12-2007, 07:39 AM
thats hilarious... Lucy does the exact same thing when it comes to bed time! she will lay on my hip,back,she tries to lay around my neck sometimes! and if it is colder she will crawl down under the blankets and snuggle between me and my boyfriends legs... i wonder if it has to do with the breed... what i really would like to know is to how to make her stop acting like a vulture, she is constantly stealing my baby's food, in fact earlier she stole his cheese whiz toast, this cat will eat literally anything(i kid u not) and she acts as tough it is her last meal, and she always has plenty of food... i just dont understand, does your cat behave this way? has it ever?

marriedchickie
02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Both my sister's cat and our cat are kind of vultures. If you leave anything alone for a second, she's on it like white on rice. She doesn't like the "PPPSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT" noise. Don't know why. But my sister's cat is also a climber. She shredded my mom's brand new curtains, so my sister had to replace them. She has what we call " a running course". She starts on the back of my mom and dad's tv and runs along the back of the furniture and ends back up back on the tv, and then flops down and has a nap. My cat she's a jumper, but she's also a kickin mouser. I think it's all calicos that are like that.

care1978
02-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Lucy is definately a handful, but what is funny if im haveing a lazy day and making my bf take care of the house while i have a break... she would lay in bed with me all day. but as soon as i get up, she is off like a rocket, she hasnt slowed down around here since 7am, she just keeps running with her ears back.... she looks crazy, she doesnt like the PSSSST sound either.... it has to be the breed, they must be a little touched in the head or something.

user5624
02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
My Dax is a calico and she doesn't have an agressive bone in her body. She is one of the biggest babies I've ever seen. She's 2 years old. She doesn't have any of the behavior that you two are describing. I've had a few calicos growing up and none ever had those character traits. I don't think it's a breed issue. My Dax is a big snob with human food. She won't eat it.
You two might want to talk to your vets.

oasis
02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Our cat was the same way as a kitten. She's a calico as well. We just used a squirt bottle with water. It took a looooonnnngggg time but she finally got the hint. Now she's just lazy. Her idea of playing is to trip me in the middle of the night on that trip to the bathroom..

I think my wife may have offered to share my life insurance with her if she makes it look like an accident!

puppyluv
02-12-2007, 08:48 AM
I have never heard of a "calico" cat being specifically aggressive over other types. Calico is only a colouring. If the kitten is aggressive now, you need to curb it, no rough playing etc or it will carry it on into adulthood.
As for the adult cat,it is more about figuring out HOW to keep her off the table etc and to stop attacking you at night. When you got her, did you play with her in bed, as in move your feet etc under the covers? Because if so , that is what she has been shown. You can lock herout of the room at night. It isnt mean and she will get over it. As far as the table, get a strip of sticky paper and put it on the table. Then watch her learn over time NOT to do that.

care1978
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
lol.... i feel like Lucy is conspiring at times too!
i have tried the water bottle effect, she is soooooooooo stubborn! oh well maybe ill just keep using to see if she finally gets the hint, i just find her behaviour odd for a cat, i havent met a kitty like her before, so i think i have my work cut out for me

puppyluv
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
care, is this a cat you got from someone else?

care1978
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
My Dax is a calico and she doesn't have an agressive bone in her body. She is one of the biggest babies I've ever seen. She's 2 years old. She doesn't have any of the behavior that you two are describing. I've had a few calicos growing up and none ever had those character traits. I don't think it's a breed issue. My Dax is a big snob with human food. She won't eat it.
You two might want to talk to your vets.
wow! you are lucky, i guess dreams really do come true lol, my cat will eat toast,potatoes,tomatoes,mac 'n' cheese, the other day she was eating barbeque chips out of my boyfriends chip bowl, because he left it down for a second... it can get quite annoying, she knows she isnt supposed to do it too because when you go towards her she takes off, so i dont think it is a stupidity thing, just a sheer defiance, i just hope she comes out of it before im crazy or my family starves to death because she ate everything lol

care1978
02-12-2007, 08:55 AM
care, is this a cat you got from someone else?
yes i got her when she was 7 1/2 weeks old,,,, why do you ask?

puppyluv
02-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Hm, how old is she now?

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
7 months, i realize she isnt fully grown yet, but cats that ive had in the past you only had to show them a time or two and they seemed to obey, with the odd slip, she really is a beautiful cat and i absolutely adore her sense of humor, just dont want her attacking me or stealing my son's food off the table......

user5624
02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
marriedchicke - If your cat is permitted to be outside, and killing mice, neither is good for a cat, and your cat most likely has worms. These are things that should be stopped and the cat should see a vet for proper worm treatment.

A kitten will be hyper, such as puppies and children will be. Agressive is not a breed specific character trait. I've seen other colored cats be agressive with human food. It's the cat's individual personality and how it's raised.

As puppyluv said, use double sided tape or sticky paper on the table till the cat learns. Cats are natural climbers, my Dax will climb on anything that she can, even my fridge. It's their natural instincts to climb. Also get the cat's altered, and get flea treatments from your vets if your cats have fleas. Fleas can be very bothersome to animals. (Would we like having lice?) And toys, you can get a good sized plastic container of cheap balls with bells in them for about $3-4 at Wal-Mart and it comes with a lot of balls. I still have half of my container left. This works wonders in allowing Dax to burn off her energy.

Cats will be cats and each can have very interesting personalities.

puppyluv
02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
ok, but as I asked earlier, did you play "bed mouse" with her in the bed before? Because she may still think that is ok. It may be a hard habit to break. But she is still very much a baby.
Now, I do suggest you get a sticky paper and put it on the table. then let her jump up a few times. Once she figures out it is not a good place to jump, then it may make her think twice. Also, use a can with a few pennies in it to startle her when you see her going to jump up on it.

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
those are good suggestions, i will definately try them out! thank you,
as far as mousing goes, Lucy is an indoor cat, and she doesnt have fleas, i usually buy her the little mice at walmart, the pink and purple ones, she loves them, but i will look into the balls also, i dont play mouse with her at night in bed, it isnt only night time when she is aggressive with me, yesterday afternoon i picked her up to shoe her where i set her ttreat, and when i did she clawed my hand really badly(on the palm area) now i have two gashes.... i just think that, that behaviour is unacceptable, i do appreciate the advice and will definately try those things out!:)

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:30 AM
also wondering what people's thoughts are on cats milk made by whiskas, should my cat have this or is it just basically a waste of money, but a nice treat from time to time

user5624
02-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I've never used it. I can't give an opinion either way but it sounds like she's old enough not to need it.

You may want to try Soft Paw claw covers. This may help with the injuries from your cat. http://www.softpaws.com/

I agree, agressive behaviour like that is unacceptable. Some cats can just be naturally nasty. (I've been trying to figure out the cause of my mother in law's cat for 3 years. Only things I can think of are he was declawed and taken from his mother too soon)

puppyluv
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
cats dont need milk as they grow older. water is good. Milk can help give them worms..

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
thanks! ill check out soft paws, i just think it is so funny that she attacks the big people but leaves the little guy alone.... guess thats a good thing and i shouldnt complain lol( i'd rather me get scratched, then him) thanks again to all who have tried to help me with my kitty woes, i'll keeps you posted on the events to come!

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
cats dont need milk as they grow older. water is good. Milk can help give them worms..
good to know, i was told to buy her some, but i personally didnt see the point, because she wasnt nursing anymore

care1978
02-12-2007, 09:48 AM
this is a pic of my little angel....
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/care1978/Lucy.jpg

marriedchickie
02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
My cat is not permitted outside. It just happened that a mouse got into our apartment and she got it right away. and of course i took care of her and got her thr proper medicine to make sure that she didn't have worms. I know that it is not safe for a cat to catch a mouse. I'm just glad she got it before it made a mess in the apartment.

Mandi
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Cat's milk I used as a treat with my kitties.
I had a calico and a tabby, brother and sister. The Calico was the sweetest little girl I have ever adopted and I miss her so much, but sadly she passed away. She was very fair tempered. You said you have a son, how old is he? If the kitty feels she has to hide during the day she could act up during the night time. I really hope you can rectify the problem of her scratching, because that could be quite bothersome. :( owie. As for jumping on tables, y ou could also use tine foil, cats hate the sound and feel of it, it may deter her. Best of luck with your kitty :)

care1978
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Cat's milk I used as a treat with my kitties.
I had a calico and a tabby, brother and sister. The Calico was the sweetest little girl I have ever adopted and I miss her so much, but sadly she passed away. She was very fair tempered. You said you have a son, how old is he? If the kitty feels she has to hide during the day she could act up during the night time. I really hope you can rectify the problem of her scratching, because that could be quite bothersome. :( owie. As for jumping on tables, y ou could also use tine foil, cats hate the sound and feel of it, it may deter her. Best of luck with your kitty :)
my son is 19 months old, and Lucy plays with him all day, she never hides from him(unusually enough) they are like best friends... she's just really mean to her mommy and daddy :( but she is really cute!

Mandi
02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
my son is 19 months old, and Lucy plays with him all day, she never hides from him(unusually enough) they are like best friends... she's just really mean to her mommy and daddy :( but she is really cute!
:( She is adorable! ( I just saw the little photo.)
I wish I could help, but I don't know much about kitt temperment, luckily all my kitties have been angels, lucky lucky. But I really do wish you the best, as she is a sweet little thing. :D

care1978
02-12-2007, 04:13 PM
:( She is adorable! ( I just saw the little photo.)
I wish I could help, but I don't know much about kitt temperment, luckily all my kitties have been angels, lucky lucky. But I really do wish you the best, as she is a sweet little thing. :D
thanks! i think so too.... she's lucky she's cute, its about all she has going for her this week! lol just kiddin' we love her!she is tiny bc she is the runt

sparkly_panther
02-13-2007, 07:50 PM
My Kiwi likes the whiskas cat milk, but 1 box lasts her like 4 or 5 servings because she gets tired of it then it just goes to waste, now my friend will pour 1/2 a box in a bowl for her cats and they will lick the bowl clean

care1978
03-23-2007, 12:03 AM
well Lucy is getting alot better with the attacks now ( thank heavens ) instead of scratching me all the time she has now decided that getting in my face and showing me her butt is the new thing this week!, i cant go anywhere without her,she even tries to jump up on me when im in the little girls room! lol she really has a very unique personality... wonder what her new thing will be next month ;)

Corky
03-25-2007, 08:05 PM
We had a calico cat, her name was sassy and that's what she was to...she always pissed and **** on the floor..she had kittens one time and my other cat took care of them because never wanted anything to do with them...i would never get another calico again...

davis21
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I had one for about 4 years till she got sick but she was the same way. After we got her fixed she calmed down a bit but i think it is just the nature of that type of cat because i had got an other one and she was the same way but loved children.