PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketers

Auntie22
02-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Ok - so telemarketers are really annoying - but there are better ways of dealing with them!! When you get a call that you know you dont want to receive again ask to be put on the DO NOT CALL LIST - it takes a couple of weeks - but it will be done. If you dont ask specifically - it can't be done. Your yelling at a TM saying dont call again - just dont cut it. Kindly ask to be put on the DO NOT CALL LIST!!! As far as them hounding you - tell them the same response twice. They have to let it go. If you say no, your not interested, say it the second time they try and entice you - if you say something esle they are just going to try and overcome the objection you just gave :) I get the calls to and the suck. But I have come to learn something. It is their job. They have to do it!! They have to try and entice you or esle they get in trouble and eventually fired. After making calls all day having everyone yell at them gets them frusterated. YES, despite what you think - they have a real job!! If you dont answer your phone or you fib and say you are not available or tell your kids to lie and say your busy then you are going to keep getting calls!! Take a minute say the same thing twice or just ask to be put on the DNC list! Makes your life and theirs alot easier. You would not go into walmart and tell the Customer Service person off for the sake of it - so why would telemarketers be diffieret!! Alot of people are their becaue they cant do anything else (ie health reason, wheel chair) Be Kind!!!! If they are just rude with you to begin with - that is different - Otherwise remember they are just trying to make a living just like you and me!!

MissMem
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't have a problem with telemarketers usually...but when they get really in your face pushy on touchy subjects, then I get annoyed...like the one with cancer...she didn't have to keep going and going on about the effects of cancer...I was fine till I said no and she got upset (yes I know its their job to try to entice ppl to donate, but her tone completely changed with me after I said no to donating) and started rattling off the effects of cancer, which I'm guessing a lot of ppl already know about...This company just didn't have to be so pushy...as for me screaming at her..i'm sorry I lost it when all the bad memories came flooding back because she brought them back. Sometimes they just step over the line. My 2 cents.

Auntie22
02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
You getting upset about it is completly understandable!! I would have too... you do get some you will push till the individaul gets angry..upset..or any of the above. But most will just do their job - not keep pushing...

My post was mostly for information. I know how annoying it is - but I also know how they work...and the ways to have them stop calling. Believe me I have had my share of bad experiences with them - and I have huing up - and didnt feel bad about it!

Good day to ya

timmy
02-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Your mistake is talking to them in the first place, just hang up. If I want to buy something , I will decide when, and go looking for it then. Any 1-800 #'s that come up on my caller ID are ignored. Also , if you fill out fewer things for "free" draws you will get a lot less calls.

user5624
02-12-2007, 08:33 AM
You can refuse to answer, but they will call back and keep calling till they're told to remove you from their list, don't call you again.

I've owned this house for over 3 years. I've had the rare telemarketing call, I said those exact things and they've never called back. I get NO telemarketing calls what so ever now.

oasis
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I always ask to be put on the do not call list. You're right though it takes time. I will be polite. Yes I expect them to TRY a second time. But when they still persist I usually hang up. I never yell at them as I realize they are doing a job. I've done it my self and can't say I liked it. I'm one of those people that believed if they said no, they probably meant it!

timmy
02-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I've lived in this house for 12 yrs - same phone # for 16. I get very few "TM" calls now, NO repeats. I've never asked to be put on a DNC list, maybe some of "lucky" few who have bothered me have suggested it, or done it on their own initiative. How anyone can so easily justify this invasion of privacy as "just doing their job" is beyond me. Like I said, I know how to find what I need, I don't need you to call and tell me. Unfortunately for telemarketers, I've unconsciously trained my kids. I heard one dealing with a call the other day -scary! ;-)

timmy
02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
btw, one other scourge is the bi-weekly capital-one ad in my mailbox. I stuff all the junk I can in their postage paid return envelope, cross the bar codes off so it has to be manually sorted, and pop it back in the mail. I hope I am helping them spend their millions, on extra postage! ;-)

subaru2222
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
They tell you it takes weeks to take you off the list. My friend is a manager at a job like that and he says they can take you off the list in seconds. We had a call from a credit card company a while back they asked for my wife. I asked who it was and they told me. I said she is not interested in the credit card I was very polite. They said are you Her I said no of course not. They said well we have to talk to your wife and if she wants to say no we have to hear it from her. I flipped out for one reason back then, for reason I would rather not go into to we COULD NOT have a credit card if we did we would have broken a contract and it would have cost us thousands of dollars. I told them this and they did not believe me. I just hung up. I worked in call centers before so I know what its like but I treated the person on the other end as I would like to be treated.

Anyone have the guy in Canadian tire bug you for a credit card. I told him I cant get one because I am not allowed which was the truth. He looked at me like I was nuts. A few min later I heard him talking to another lady telling her about me and I was not allowed to get a credit card. Why would he tell some one my business its none of his or her business. Anyway Canadian tire should not have him chasing you down in the store bugging you. I go there to buy things not to be hassled. When I see him walking towards me I cringe because I know whats coming.

oasis
02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Anyone have the guy in Canadian tire bug you for a credit card. I told him I cant get one because I am not allowed which was the truth. He looked at me like I was nuts. A few min later I heard him talking to another lady telling her about me and I was not allowed to get a credit card. Why would he tell some one my business its none of his or her business. Anyway Canadian tire should not have him chasing you down in the store bugging you. I go there to buy things not to be hassled. When I see him walking towards me I cringe because I know whats coming.

He would not have been there long if it was me. I would demanded to speak to the store manager. And I would have let him know in no uncertain terms that this BOZO has no business discussing my finances with other people. Today’s privacy laws make what he did illegal and that if steps were not taken to correct this that I would inform there head office of this breach in privacy.