PDA

View Full Version : vista?

chaisson9088
02-10-2007, 03:41 PM
has anyone bought and tryed the new vista home primiem os yet?

dakota24
02-10-2007, 03:46 PM
never tryed the home primiem but the Ultimate is awesome alot fats then xp

petty22
02-12-2007, 08:22 AM
We just received our copy at work. My word of advice is to anyone thinking about getting it is to wait. There are many bugs in it that have yet to be irooned out. Give it a few months so that they can get the major bugs out and then venture out to get it. Its pretty bad when they publish it and a week befor eit hits the shelves there is already an update of which you can't download from the internet, you need to contact Microsoft to have them send you a disk.

Just my 2 cents.

JIm C.
02-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Just think min. requirements 2 ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram

Mininum requirements to properly run vista you need 4 gigs of ram

runs o.k. with 2 gigs will run with 1 gig

but it's like running xp on 256mb of ram.. same as cpu should have

something half descent.....

Your better off waiting until they come out with service pak 2 for it

it doesn't support a lot of drivers or you have to upgrade a lot...

The idea system to run vista is a dual or quad core cpu and 4 gigs ram...

Vista is a huge resource hog....

I'm not into downloading music or movies etc.

but there's another issue if you do with windows vista....

Freudian
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I've also been following Vista for a while. There doesn't seem to be any point in getting Vista unless you get Vista Ultimate edition, which OEM is 250+ or retail, 500. That's alot of money.

In my opinion, an OS should not be a major load on your system hardware resources. It should be lean and clean so as to allow your applications to run using maximum resources.

I've read on the review sites that Microsoft actually admits that apps and games can run upto 15% -SLOWER- on VISTA than on XP. That's a scary thought. No doubt Aero will slow down the OS operations and applications as well.

If you are thinking of upgrading to VISTA, ask yourself "Is there any new feature on Vista that I really need and will make use of daily? Is my Windows XP OS running fine and fast? Does it have all the features I need? Do I want to take a 15% performance hit on my apps by upgrading to Vista? Do I want to spend 250-500 on the OS alone?"

Another thing to note is that Apple Inc. has had MAC OS X for 6-7 years and the current version OS 10.4 (Tiger) is extremely fast, Unix based. It is only 150$ CDN with no copy write protection except your own honesty. This OS will run fast even on an iMac G3 350MHz from 1999 (personal long-term experience). The UI is very nice, intuitive, clean, cosmetically pleasing and well laid out. You can also drop into a UNIX terminal and run Unix programs or x-windows programs. Something to think about. Sure you'd have to get a Mac to run it (at the moment) but the Mac will also run Windows XP and surely soon, run Vista, if not already. The new version OS X Leopard (10.5) will be out in June 07, but Tiger's only 1.5yrs old anyways.

Cheers.

JIm C.
02-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Also you have to get the proper one if your running dual core as well..

If you get a lesser one it won't see the second cpu...

I think it's either premium or ultimate edition the basic won't

utilize the dual core and will see one cpu....windows XP support

ends in Dec. from what i heard in the wind.

Mandy
02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I tried it on a relatives computer; and don't care for it at all. For someone who has been using a computer for a while; it is confusing trying to figure out where everything is again.

Most of the childrens programs my relative has for her children won't run on Vista, which is why she just bought the new computer to begin with. So she is extremely frustrated.

I think our home computer won't be running Vista for at least 12 months, until some of the bugs are figured out.

rubycshells
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
For those who have bought a HP/Compaq computer:

http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/424812-0-0-225-121.html

What products qualify for the HP Express Upgrade to Windows Vista offer?
A: HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario Windows Vista Capable desktop and notebook PCs purchased between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 marked “Windows Vista Capable*” are eligible for the HP Express Upgrade to Windows Vista program offer.

Includes drivers as well.

paak
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Actually, any computer bought between oct2006-march2007 (that had a legit copy of XP included) is eligible for the free update to vista.

Freudian
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Has anyone had a positive experience with VISTA Retail/OEM version (not beta,rc1,rc2)?

Actual experience with it?

Is anything better in it that XP or is it all just showing off Aero and that they moved all your tools around for you to spend time searching for again :P

andrew

JIm C.
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
15-20% slower than windows XP lots of drivers issues...

wouldn't touch it until drivers become more readily avail. and

at least service pak 2 comes out...

chaisson9088
03-04-2007, 11:37 AM
well i found a copy of vista home primeum, and i got to tell what i found, it did load-up or start-up faster than xp, but what a resourse hog even with the extra features turned off, i have 1.5gig of ram , and it hoged 895meg , it actualy is 2 operating systems in one, that y it requires 12 gig of hd space once installed, i did have some minor trouble with sound drivers but that was easily fixed, even new copys of vista required a call for activation, now its laidout nice, requires large video, and ram or forget it, i tryed msn 8.1 and what a pain, to do basic things it requires permision all the time,and its complicated to run so xp wins in this department hands down for ease of use. now softwhere is another story, only sertin types work, and if u download alot u are going to have fun, evertime it requires permision do do anything , i stick with xp much easyer and friendly to use

paak
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
You can turn that off.

(you have to edit the security settings of the user account)

Godfather
03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Thank god work doesn't have Vista yet. I'm sticking with XP, I just finished tweaking it and setting it all up. Plus I'm not running a top of the line PC here, so my 512 meg ram won't make a diff. with Vista.

My 2 cents.

Pat.

NoseToTheGrind
03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree totally with sticking with XP, my bro is a tech for aliant and we tried to install Vista on a newer puter yersterday...and right from the get go, it asked to install the drivers for the harddrive....never heard of that before in my life, or been asked that by an OS....LOL....I think this time Bill Gates came out with a DUD !!!

paak
03-04-2007, 04:12 PM
it asked to install the drivers for the harddrive

Most likely means IDE or Sata controller drivers

Godfather
03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Most likely means IDE or Sata controller drivers

absolutely paak, When i read what he wrote, the controllers each have a driver, usually keeping it up to date isn't a problem with XP but with Vista and all it's bugs, I'm sure with a service pak update would include such problems and resolve them as seen fit. Speaking of upgrading drivers and so forth, you seem quite knowledgeable and I enjoy speaking with you on several occasions so far, what do you have for a freeware program that I could download which would tell me which drivers are outdated all at once. I'm curious because I downloaded a program and installed it, ran the check, said I had 8 drivers that needed to be updated, but when I went to let it update automatically, it said I needed a registration code or purchase the program. Not much good having a program that tells you that you need to fix something and it doesn't fix it. Let me know what you come up with or your theories revolving around such a program. I know they exist, question is, I keep hitting a dead end with these programs each and every time I download them. If there isn't a program, I'm sure the best thing to do is re-download that program I had, install it and re-run the tests to see which drivers are needed to be upgraded then download each driver update manually and install them manually one by one and keep returning back to the program driver updater to see if it's current or not. Sorry for the bunch of questions, but this is after all a Q & A section on Computers and tech and this has been formost on my mind lately. I intend to make a cd with each and every program that fits my needs then make copies afterwards of all this freeware and distribute it with each pc I fix or build.

Thanks.

Pat.

paak
03-05-2007, 09:30 AM
There is a few, but honestly, I can't remember the names of them at the moment as I never really use them.

I do know, though, that pcpitstop has an online driver scan..
http://pcpitstop.com/driverscan.asp

And Drivers headquarters:
http://www.drivershq.com/

Free to scan, NOT free to download (but atleast you know what needs updating..)

Godfather
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah I figured that's what they do, free scan but not to download the drivers. I'll have to do it the ol' fashion way, thanks for the info Paak.

Pat.

eugeneb
03-14-2007, 10:41 PM
I have used every windows OS there is and I just installed vista home basic
about two hours ago , and so far I don't see a problem with it.
my internet comes up faster and programs open faster.I only have 768 meg og ddr ram and P4 2.5 ghz cpu.
every thing looks ok so far.

eugeneb
03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
I did not find vista home basic that bad,have now moved up one to home premium , lets see how that does

Godfather
03-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Let me know how it runs Eugene, I just might upgrade to Vista to resolve certain XP Issues I am having With Pro Corp SP2. Thanks.

Pat.

petty22
03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
It amazes me how many companies have invested a lot of money into rolling Vista out into ther offices. I deal with hundreds of companies where I work everyday and wihtin the last week I have had 5 tell me that they rolled it out and they have now had to roll XP back out due to driver and security issues.

You would think people would learn that new isn't always better. Especially when it comes to software and especially Microsoft.

Godfather
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
That's just like XP, i was using Windows 98 SE for the longest of time until XP came out with over 50 patches and SP1. At that point I installed it but not until they patched it up and fixed the issues.

kaj27
03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
It's pointless to say "I won't upgrade until they update."

If that were a fact no one would be using XP. They have updates monthly now. There will always be updates for XP or Vista.

I just don't want to upgrade because it offers no improvements for what I use my PC for. The Media Center portion of Vista is the EXACT same, with the exception of menus being reversed.

I have the disc sitting on my desk collecting dust.

eugeneb
03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I just installed ultimate and as soon as I was done installing , it went right to microsoft and started downloading updates.
this is easier to validate then xp

Godfather
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
It's pointless to say "I won't upgrade until they update."

If that were a fact no one would be using XP. They have updates monthly now. There will always be updates for XP or Vista.

I just don't want to upgrade because it offers no improvements for what I use my PC for. The Media Center portion of Vista is the EXACT same, with the exception of menus being reversed.

I have the disc sitting on my desk collecting dust.

What I was referring to was I had no intentions of installing XP when it first came out, I wanted to wait until atleast they began patching it up then Install it. XP will always have patches irregardless because there's always something new coming out or there's security updates that need altering. Makes no diff., just my personal preference.

kaj27
03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Also you have to get the proper one if your running dual core as well..

If you get a lesser one it won't see the second cpu...

I think it's either premium or ultimate edition the basic won't

utilize the dual core and will see one cpu....windows XP support

ends in Dec. from what i heard in the wind.

Nope

Microsoft has had Dual Processor/Dual Core support since Windows 2000. I used 2000 for awhile on a Athlon X2 4200+. Everything shows up fine. They included the support in all versions of Vista.

Also XP is supported until 2012. So no problems there either.

kaj27
03-20-2007, 10:56 AM
What I was referring to was I had no intentions of installing XP when it first came out, I wanted to wait until atleast they began patching it up then Install it. XP will always have patches irregardless because there's always something new coming out or there's security updates that need altering. Makes no diff., just my personal preference.

The only point I was trying to make was the fact that Vista will always have updates too. A lot of people say "I'm gonna wait for updates."

Well sit back and wait awhile. Cause they will be rolling in just like XP.

Godfather
03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeap and Vista is just like XP when it came out, bugged to hell and a pain in the arse, and like all other versions, they'll patch it up and it will gain stability and security. I still know nothing of Vista, have to begin reading up on it.