PDA

View Full Version : I may already have won 1,000,000$

icedragon
02-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I just moved here. How do these people get your name and address? The only things with my name and address on it are my power bill, phone bill-aliant, Internet bill- rogers, Credit card- bmo, credit card- canadian tire and Statement- bmo. Are one of these companies selling my name and address?

Mandi
02-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Unless you have a stalker who want's to give you a million bucks, I would say yes. :(

AreWeThereYetMom
02-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Friend has the same problem...
and the only thing new that she signed up for was Aliant land phone!!!
She gets telemarketers and postal mail like crazy!!!
Unfortunately her name and address are in the phone book, so that explains it.

icedragon
02-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Friend has the same problem...
and the only thing new that she signed up for was Aliant land phone!!!
She gets telemarketers and postal mail like crazy!!!
Unfortunately her name and address are in the phone book, so that explains it.

My name and address isn't in the phone book though. or its not suppose to be anyway. Another cool event that happends is someone calling me shortly after I got the phone asking me if I wanted a capital one card.

icedragon
02-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Unless you have a stalker who want's to give you a million bucks, I would say yes. :(

I think I have to win the million first then the stalkers come. I guess I wouldn't mind if they are female stalkers (joke, kind of)

dolphins#1
02-10-2007, 01:32 PM
aliant sells your name they did to mine nothing is true

icedragon
02-10-2007, 02:48 PM
aliant sells your name they did to mine nothing is true

What do you mean nothing is true?

dolphins#1
02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
about winning a million dollars you usually have to buy something to get in a draw :(

babydoll101
02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
It is your credit cards. Your address and phone number is on your credit report as well as the companies also have it. Nothing is private anymore. Anyone can get that information. It is crazy.

t-bone
02-10-2007, 03:51 PM
we just moved this past summer and started getting all kinds of junk mail rigth after. we weren't getting junk mail at the old address so i don't think aliant or any of the utilities were selling info.
the only new outfit that had my new address was the moving company....i wonder if it was them?

tag
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
sometimes it depends where you move to.
companies target high probability areas, or high population areas

Auntie22
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Alll companies in which ou give your name and number to sell your name - UNLESS you request specifically NOT to have it sold. I would call all your companies and let them know that all your info is to remain for their use only. Some also use Phone Book calling. So if it is their you may want to have it removed. As for Capital One - I would call Capital One directly and ask them to remove your name from thier calling list. You will continue to get calls - eventually same day calls. It is annoying!! There are several companies who call on behalf of Capital One (which is why it is not benifical to just ask them when they call - you have to call them!!)

I would also try and aviod sending info over the internet. Like when you receive the 'petition' email. Asking you to sign and sometimes provide address/number for goverment purposes!! All it is is marketers looking for infor and active email addresses!!!

Have a great day!!!!

janegirl
02-10-2007, 10:36 PM
My husband keeps getting these letters like that in the mail too. The other day I opened one up and it said he won 4 million. It came with a check too, I was soooo excited when I seen the check, I did not notice the tiny print that said, "void-sample only", until after I phoned my husband, sister and mom. lol!!! Now it's just a family joke, they'll never ever let me forget...:o :D

icedragon
02-11-2007, 07:47 AM
about winning a million dollars you usually have to buy something to get in a draw :(

I recieved that stupid ripoff publishers clearing house dealy. I think that is what it is called.

girdy
02-11-2007, 09:46 AM
There are lots of online directories where your name gets populated if you have a listed telephone number, like http://www.canada411.ca/ , and I believe those listings are updated quickly when you move.

icedragon
02-11-2007, 11:29 AM
My husband keeps getting these letters like that in the mail too. The other day I opened one up and it said he won 4 million. It came with a check too, I was soooo excited when I seen the check, I did not notice the tiny print that said, "void-sample only", until after I phoned my husband, sister and mom. lol!!! Now it's just a family joke, they'll never ever let me forget...:o :D

omg thats funny. If by some chance I ever meet you i'm going to say" remember the day you got that package and you thought it was a cheque......"

icedragon
02-11-2007, 11:30 AM
There are lots of online directories where your name gets populated if you have a listed telephone number, like http://www.canada411.ca/ , and I believe those listings are updated quickly when you move.

I'm unlisted. Suppose to be anyway

care1978
02-11-2007, 11:45 AM
My name and address isn't in the phone book though. or its not suppose to be anyway. Another cool event that happends is someone calling me shortly after I got the phone asking me if I wanted a capital one card.
my boyfriend's mother's phone number isnt supposed to be listed, but it is in the phonebook, but when she calls someone it comes up private... you should check your phonebook.... you never know

marriedchickie
02-12-2007, 06:44 AM
I was at a family dinner and brought my cell phone in case of emergencies, and in the middle of dinner I got a call from someone asking for me under my maiden name. They then went into a speal (without me confirming it was me) and told me about this great deal from capital one. I had to cut them off and tell them that no one by that name was available at this number (after all i HAD changed my name) and hung up. 10 mins later I got ANOTHER call asking for my married name, but they mispronounced my last name, and I then told them (again had to cut them off) that if they couldn't pronounce my name properly then I didn't know them and had no interest in talking to them. and this was my CELL phone. Thand God for caller ID. It's nothing for us to get 4-5 telemarketing calls per day. it's insane. and our number is relatively new. we did the whole thing about telling our credit card companies that our information was not to be sold..the whole she-bang. We've not applied for anything new, so NO idea how they are getting our name and numberS.