PDA

View Full Version : Break in and bad landlord

lizard_lover
10-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Ok so I have not been on in forever so let me give you all the update. In march I had the priveledge of having 2 "west side mafia" punks break into my home WHILE I WAS IN THE BATHTUB! They stole a flatscreen plasma tv and an xbox 360...now me and my fiance are not rich and it took u a lot of saving for some 16 and 20 year old delinquents to break in and steal it....again I was in the bathtub....you can imagine how scared a 20 year old woman is when that happens...and when the police finally showed up all he kept asking was who I had into my home that was hard up for cash for drugs...I WAS INSULTED! Buuut anyways that's that....and it was 1:30 pm as well....
So yeah we moved after that to the basement apt in the same building.... and there was no one else in the building....well our landlord moved in some people....(the last ones were evicted for owing 4000$ in rent). Our landlord handed them over our laundry space, the parking spot that has been designated to my bf for 3 years, and the hosue that was allowed smoking and dogs now is non smoking and we have been told to put a bark collar on my dog that was bought because of the break in....apparently it is too much for my dog to give out a bark when someone knocks on my door...my fiance goes to university all day, and then works til 11 at night. it takes him 30-45 minutes to get home, and then whatever to eat and unwind. My new neighbors BLARE their crappy french folk music at 7 almost every morning and wake us up(no diss to french as I am french native and my fiance is french...but it really is bad music) and they stomp around above us all day as loud as they can...they even had their 11 year old daughter give me the finger one day as they were driving away....my landlord refuses to even talk to them...oh and that parking space they had to have.....they havent parked there in 2 months....fancy that! and to top it all off....i catch him staring and smiling at me whenever he can and when he drives by the side of the house as we are on a corner he honks and smiles at me....i am feeling very uncomfortable and am going to call the police next time they blare their music and wake us up that early or stomp around at 4 in the morning so loud that my dog barks because he thinks someone is knocking on the door....

oh sorry about all that guys just been stressed and had to vent.....

icedragon
10-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Personally when I am in a situtation like that I like to play with them. But that is just me. There is a whole ton of stuff you can do. Depends on how bad you want to go and what you have the will or energy to do. I won't post examples but I might give some ideas in a pm. I can tell you as everyone will already know that there is no help in dealing with these kinds of people. Call the cops and they tell you to call the landlord. Call the landlord and he tells you to call the cops. (My experience anyway)

I will post this funny story only because it is all said and done.
In Halifax I took care of a land lord not returning my damage deposit and the people below me all in one shot. 240 gallon marine, 135 gallon marine, 135 gallon fresh, 90 gallon fresh, 55 gallon fresh and a 40 gallon fresh were all drained on the floor. Caused alot of damage to the apartment I was in, the apartment below me, and each apartment becide me. I would not recommend doing this as I did get in some trouble but in the end I got out of it. My lawyer simply said the 240 gallon spung a leak and the landlord should have had insurance. He ended up not having insurance. The building now has been sold as he couldn't pay to get it fixed. The people below me tried to take me to court for damages but it was shot down before we ever made it into a courtroom. They lost everything to not just bacteria filled water but to salt water also. Salt waster causes more damage than fresh.

inuit
10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
See now I really don't understand. If you have lived in the same appt for 3 years and must have been paying your rent all of that time why would the landlord not appreciate you more than that? I'll bet there are a good many landlords out there who have deadbeats or troublemakers living in their buildings and would appreciate good tennants. Seems some landlords when they do get good tennants they take them for granted and they end up moving then the landlords complain about the dirty or deadbeat ones they have left. Maybe they should start appreciating their good tennants and get rid of the ones who are making life miserable for their good tennants. JMO

adorabull
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Have you tried calling the rentalsmen office?

there is a book on tenants rights.

trinity
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Sometimes people are genuinely NOT aware of how much noise they are making. My cousins lived upstairs and they sounded like a herd of elephants charging up and down the stairs, until the day one of them was having a cup of tea with my mother in the living room and heard his brothers and nephew coming home... he put a stop to it very quickly.

TiDo08
10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
The rentalsman's office are ridiculous. We had an electrical fire in our bathroom at our old apartment, and we couldn't get ahold of the landlord, and neither could the fire department. We had no power in our bathroom, hallway or my 2 year old son's room for 2 days. We called an electrician, and the landlord finally called back, the electrician was on our street, and we had to call and cancel him, b/c the landlord had "his own guy" who didn't arrive until the following afternoon.
When I called the rentalsmen, they said that I have to put it in writing, requesting him to do what had to be done to get the power restored, and the smell of burning wires out of my apartment, then if it wasn't fixed in 30 days, they would launch a complaint.
To further that, the whole building was infested with mice, we had told him in October, and he didn't send anyone until January.
We ended up moving right after the fire, he kept the damage deposit, we really didn't care as long as we got away from that slum lord!

donteatrawpotatoes
10-10-2008, 09:03 PM
The rentalsman's office are ridiculous. We had an electrical fire in our bathroom at our old apartment, and we couldn't get ahold of the landlord, and neither could the fire department. We had no power in our bathroom, hallway or my 2 year old son's room for 2 days. We called an electrician, and the landlord finally called back, the electrician was on our street, and we had to call and cancel him, b/c the landlord had "his own guy" who didn't arrive until the following afternoon.
When I called the rentalsmen, they said that I have to put it in writing, requesting him to do what had to be done to get the power restored, and the smell of burning wires out of my apartment, then if it wasn't fixed in 30 days, they would launch a complaint.
To further that, the whole building was infested with mice, we had told him in October, and he didn't send anyone until January.
We ended up moving right after the fire, he kept the damage deposit, we really didn't care as long as we got away from that slum lord!

I had a similar problem but my problem was that tenants under us were lighting the fires in the middle of their living room or hallway. After the third time, we moved and lost our damage deposit because we weren't able to give a full notice of 30 days. The three fires happened within 15 days all after the first and the land lord told us they had no intention of evicting them because they wanted their income. (they wanted the insurance money) I lost my cat because of this hasty move, and yet they still won my money. Two days after we moved, the placed burnt down.

raveneffect
10-10-2008, 10:27 PM
That's a good thing you moved out in time. I don't feel sorry for the landlord that had his place burn down. Slum lords never care for the good tenants, all they want is the money and it's hard to find a good place these days. Where was this place located?
Slum lords names and building should be posted in the paper or on a site so that you'll know if that place is not good to rent from. Even complaints should be posted too so that you'll know what you can get into renting from them.

inuit
10-11-2008, 07:42 AM
I was under the impression that if you moved without 30 days notice for a legitamate reason you would get your damage deposit back. After reading here I see that I was wrong. Seems like the rentalsman is pro landlords even slumlords and does little or nothing for renters. Maybe it's time for change. Renters should not be expected to live in a dangerous or vermin infested building for a month just to get their money returned. How does one affect change?

I also agree with Raveneffect, if you knew that there had been 100 complaints about a landlord you could save yourself a major headache and a bundle of money and avoid it like the plague. Seems a simple and effective solution. Afterall landlords ask for references and will call your former landlord, same should work both ways.

TiDo08
10-12-2008, 06:59 AM
The building I lived in was on Forbes Drive, in Millidgeville and I am happy to tell anyone where and what the landlords name was, just PM me. He actually owns alot of buildings in the city, thats the worst part.

Mertyl01
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok so I have not been on in forever so let me give you all the update. In march I had the priveledge of having 2 "west side mafia" punks break into my home WHILE I WAS IN THE BATHTUB! They stole a flatscreen plasma tv and an xbox 360...now me and my fiance are not rich and it took u a lot of saving for some 16 and 20 year old delinquents to break in and steal it....again I was in the bathtub....you can imagine how scared a 20 year old woman is when that happens...and when the police finally showed up all he kept asking was who I had into my home that was hard up for cash for drugs...I WAS INSULTED! Buuut anyways that's that....and it was 1:30 pm as well....
So yeah we moved after that to the basement apt in the same building.... and there was no one else in the building....well our landlord moved in some people....(the last ones were evicted for owing 4000$ in rent). Our landlord handed them over our laundry space, the parking spot that has been designated to my bf for 3 years, and the hosue that was allowed smoking and dogs now is non smoking and we have been told to put a bark collar on my dog that was bought because of the break in....apparently it is too much for my dog to give out a bark when someone knocks on my door...my fiance goes to university all day, and then works til 11 at night. it takes him 30-45 minutes to get home, and then whatever to eat and unwind. My new neighbors BLARE their crappy french folk music at 7 almost every morning and wake us up(no diss to french as I am french native and my fiance is french...but it really is bad music) and they stomp around above us all day as loud as they can...they even had their 11 year old daughter give me the finger one day as they were driving away....my landlord refuses to even talk to them...oh and that parking space they had to have.....they havent parked there in 2 months....fancy that! and to top it all off....i catch him staring and smiling at me whenever he can and when he drives by the side of the house as we are on a corner he honks and smiles at me....i am feeling very uncomfortable and am going to call the police next time they blare their music and wake us up that early or stomp around at 4 in the morning so loud that my dog barks because he thinks someone is knocking on the door....

oh sorry about all that guys just been stressed and had to vent.....

Whereabouts are you on the westside? Is this "mafia" the same one that has been swarming the elderly and little children and beating and robbing them? :(

inuit
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
What??? West side mafia??? You don't actually mean there is a bunch of kids going around beating people up??? OMG Where the h are their parents?? Maybe it is time parents actually was made to take responsibility for their kids actions. If thoes punks are adults them our jails are not so full they can't hold a few more. If I were those guys parents, I'd be ashamed to show my face in public. What am I saying, there is no more shame left in the world.

donteatrawpotatoes
10-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I know! There were kids in the south end a couple weeks ago, and they had a bungee cord tied to a stop sign, pulled across the street and tied to a poll. One of their parents came by, the kids lowered the cord, parent was asking about where some other kid was, and said 'k see you later, supper's at 6. BE THERE THIS TIME.' 'love you dad' and he drives off, no sooner did he pass the cord than did they raise it back up. It's not like he DIDN'T notice, the kid had an end of it in his freaking hand the whole time!!! I am just so disgusted in humanity. Can you imagine what would happen to a motorcyclist who came across there and didn't notice, or if a car went through there, and it snapped back and hit one of them??? The cops were called, and I have no clue what happened then, but wow. I am really disgusted with the lack of concern or the general apathy people have for their children and how they could hurt other people. .