PDA

View Full Version : how does an american become canadian?

Luvz_ya
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
can an american come to canada to live and work or does it take a million things to be able to do so

Chinna Dah
02-08-2007, 11:44 AM
yes, my friend married an american 3.5 years ago, and he just last week got his permanant residency, and took him 2 years to get his SIN number before he could work here. it will likely be another year before he gets his canadian citizenship.

It was a real pain in the but for them, and VERY expensive.

Luvz_ya
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
yeah and its probably different now , and more expensive

trinity
02-08-2007, 04:17 PM
If it is anything like Canadians working in the US, it depends on what job you do-if your training or career is for a job that they deem to be in a shortage situation, they will take you asap. A few years ago I applied to teach in the US and I had my H1B visa within 2 months. I ended up not going, but that was another story. Also if you are in an industry where it is deemed valuable to have multicultural employees, like hospitality, you can work. It takes a couple of months for them to get their work visa, but working in the hotel industry as I do, I have worked with people from China, Japan, Belgium, England, U.A.E, Phillipines etc, all of whom were not citizens. Transferring within a multinational company is also another way to go-I could transfer to a management position at a "sister" hotel property in the USA or Europe with minimal effort, if it can be shown that my value to the company is real.

icedragon
02-08-2007, 04:29 PM
find a canadian to marry him. Then when he is a canadian, divorse him and take half his crap

Luvz_ya
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
how long does it take after u marry them for them to be canadian? 3 1/2 years is to long they want to come here to live and work they are sick of the american ways

Mandi
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
how long does it take after u marry them for them to be canadian? 3 1/2 years is to long they want to come here to live and work they are sick of the american ways
I don't blame them. Unfortunately though, it is a rather long process. Best of luck to your friend!

girdy
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
A permanent resident needs to be residing in Canada for 3 years before applying for citizenship, and then it will take some period of time before taking the citizenship test and oath. So 4 years is likely.

Luvz_ya
02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
A permanent resident needs to be residing in Canada for 3 years before applying for citizenship, and then it will take some period of time before taking the citizenship test and oath. So 4 years is likely.

so they cant even work here until then?

Dan_Man
02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
This might help :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

Luvz_ya
02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
thank you

Dan_Man
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
You're welcome :)

icedragon
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I have tried in the past to get an ex girlfriend in and even though she was the mother of my child they turned her down twice. My daughter no problem at all to get citizenship. The lady at immigration told me had we been married she would get citizenship no problem. That was back in 2004 I think so things may have changed.

Luvz_ya
02-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Maybe marriage is the easiest way in

kara_sweetheart
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Im american, married to a canadian i just went last tuesday for my medical. I still have to finish the paper work and mail it off i soo hope it dont take 3.5 yrs to get everything done. I miss haveing a job, i have already been here off and on over a yr. So i cant wait!!:biggrin:

BTW there is a thing you can apply for the province you wanna live(Provinaial Nominations) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html

Dan_Man
02-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Im american, married to a canadian i just went last tuesday for my medical. I still have to finish the paper work and mail it off i soo hope it dont take 3.5 yrs to get everything done. I miss haveing a job, i have already been here off and on over a yr. So i cant wait!!:biggrin:

BTW there is a thing you can apply for the province you wanna live(Provinaial Nominations) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html

Welcome to Canada :)

kara_sweetheart
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Welcome to Canada :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: