PDA

View Full Version : BAD Auto Dealership Experience...

brighteyes11
09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I know auto dealers often get a bad wrap and sometimes it's unwarranted, but a recent experience has me fuming. Due to a lack of credit history, I was forced into a local "credit solution" dealership . AFTER being approved, paying a deposit and signing the agreement, I took the vehicle home. A few days later I received notice from the dealership that I would require a cosigner, as they were unable to confirm my income due to the fact my employer was away. (Is this not the proverbial "putting the cart before the horse?") I was unable/unwilling to do this and decided to return the vehicle. The salesman then advised me to wait until they could make arrangements for financing so that they could "finalize the deal." After receiving no further communication from them and out of frustration, (they were treating my mechanical concerns with a total lack of respect) I returned the vehicle. I was told by the salesman that my deposit would be returned within a couple of days. After making several phone calls, the General Manager informed me that he considered our transaction a "rental" and he would NOT return my deposit. He was totally unprofessional, saying that he would give me the number to the Better Business Bureau and hung up the phone. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE!!!

livkat
09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I had a bad experience there as well, also had a hard time getting someone on the phone.

icanimagine
09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Unfortunate, indeed. Sounds like they have a type of attitude! The more people who report this type of behavior to the BBB the better. I hope YOU have. Eventually he will care! Did you loose money by canceling your insurance as well?

rhiley_08j
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
You should have asked him to see a copy of the rental agreement with your signature on it. I wouldn't let it rest. If the deposit was more than what it would cost you to persue small claims, which I am sure it probably was, than I would take him court. In this situation your intent was to purchase the vehicle and they fulfilled their end by giving possession of the vehicle to you. When they told you that the deal was not completed then they ended up breaching their end of the contract.

icanimagine
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Can we ask who the dealer was????

brighteyes11
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a bit scared to say. A friend is offering to pay court costs to take this to small claims. I've never experienced anything like this before. I've always trusted people and taken them at their word. As far as my insurance, because my agent has a heart, he is doing his best not to apply a penalty, in hopes I can find another vehicle SOON. Richard at Anderson-McTague in Quispamsis has been extremely thoughtful and helpful. Too bad auto dealers don't display the same degree of honesty and integrity...

kinic
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Brighteyes, I do believe you did say " AFTER being approved, paying a deposit and signing the agreement," that says it all in a nut shell.
If you have the agreement in your possesion I think that should be all you need to take them to court with. To me it would be saying that you purchased the vehicle NOT rented it. if you haven't already done so read the fine print on the contract. It may be of further help to you.

Sounds like they are trying to cover their butts after the fact.

I wish you loads of luck hope all works out for you. Most of these companies look at consumers as $ signs and not people . Make them remember who you are for a looooong time to come !!!!

Perkawil
09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
It is probably the same place I went to a few years back, they went as far as forging my sig (After a week befoer everything was finalized the tranny went so I brought it back). The loan company called me and asked about the car I was like I dont have it nor did I sign for one they have never got back to me about it so I dont know what happened but they are crooks watch out for thm

Tara
09-24-2008, 12:54 PM
That sounds like the same place that sold us our van. New sticker on the van, but it should never have remotely passed.

Perkawil
09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
The car I got from them was also a write off at one point I asked they said no so I did a carfax and sure enough it was, it is across the street fom Saturn.

Tassy.Junior
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Can someone PM me the name of the place as i will be getting a car from one of those places very shortly.

Perkawil
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
PM Sent.

Tassy.Junior
09-24-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks!

brighteyes11
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
If it helps, the GM brags about driving a Lincoln Navigator. As a single mother who requires transportation to my home care clients, I can't afford such luxury. When I informed him that losing my deposit would be a hardship, he told me he couldn't afford it either. I'm hoping that getting the word out there will relish this guy to a scooter!

puppyluv
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Due to legal issues, a reminder that companies in cases like this cannot be explicitly named.
Thank You

brighteyes11
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry puppyluv,

I guess I'm steamed as a consumer and a woman. They treated me like a moron and tried to sell defects as "normal." I hate to think we need a man to gain respect when buying a car! I've got good friends that will help me with this. I'm finding ISJ a great source for information. Thank you very much. I will not name the dealership in question and will refrain from hinting. Thanks again!

puppyluv
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
You have every right to be madder tham a wet hen girl! It is terrible that some comanies have no cencept that as women we are intelligent and deserve the proper treatment and respect...but from what I am reading...whoever it was really did not give a rats bum about gender...they were just dorty to begin with.
I really do hope you get satisfaction!!!

brighteyes11
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
The BBB notified me that they have reviewed my compliant and have forwarded it to the dealership. My letter to the editor at the Telegraph-Journal was published today as well. I'm making up signs to distribute to friends and family that will be displayed on their vehicle windows to denounce the treatment I received from these people. I wonder if the General Manager will still brag about driving a Lincoln Navigator and BMW after this! This guy was totally disrespectful in all respects. When I asked if there would be a penalty for paying off the loan early, he asked his salesman "if she wins the lottery, can she pay it off early?" I'm a single Mom and can't afford to throw money around, but being treated this badly is not acceptable. I can only hope the word gets around and this charlatan is put out of business!

puppyluv
09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Well written btw! I read the l.t.t.e... :)

Tara
09-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Is there a link to it on the website? I can't seem to find it.

Tara
09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Found it! LOL...great letter, I'm sorry that they're giving you a hard time. Do you have extra signs??? :D

rhiley_08j
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Can someone PM me a link to the article please?

Tara
09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/search/article/426617

It's the fourth letter down

mizunderstood
09-28-2008, 07:08 PM
If it helps, the GM brags about driving a Lincoln Navigator. As a single mother who requires transportation to my home care clients, I can't afford such luxury. When I informed him that losing my deposit would be a hardship, he told me he couldn't afford it either. I'm hoping that getting the word out there will relish this guy to a scooter!

Brighteyes... Just wanted to make sure you know that you have to notify your insurance company that you will be transporting clients. It raises your rates really high. Also make sure your employer knows you are transporting clients, because the company must carry max insurance for that as well.. I ran into a huge issue with this last year doing home care.
Also anyone buying a a car from a "used car depot" be prepared for nothing but hassles, mistakes, and a car that should not even be on the road! DO NOT DO IT!!!!

westsider
09-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Could you pm me the name of the company too? We just got a car from a dealership across the street from Saturn too, but seeing as there is two there, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the one we used :S
thanks!!!

inuit
09-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Hopefully that dealer knows of all of the bad press he's gotten both here and in the newspaper. Now we can only hope people will actuall heed your warning and not go there to buy a car. He may be smiling out of the other side of his face when his sales are so low he can no longer stay in business. We can only hope. People like him need to be reminded who they sell to.

nasoj007
09-29-2008, 02:16 PM
As a single mother who requires transportation to my home care clients, I can't afford such luxury.

I think the important distinction here is the 'to' rather than for. lol

mizunderstood
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Oops... sorry I must have misread...I appologize... lol