PDA

View Full Version : Gross situation

la5
02-07-2007, 12:31 PM
we have a new dog that we have adopted ,a real cutie .She has a terrible thing she does once in awhile that completely grosses me out .She gets into the cat litter box and hmmm seems to enjoy eating it yuk!!!!we live on a one level house so placing the cat box someplace else is not something we can do.Why would a dog do something like that,she is well fed .How do I get her to stop doing that.The cat is a indoor cat only never goes out .

Pumpkin
02-07-2007, 12:42 PM
They eat their own as well. My poor doggie who got old and passed on, used to eat his poo frozen and he was well fed so why he would do that im not sure. I have also seen other dogs eat poo too, so it much be normal.....still sick tho!!

la5
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
hmmmmmmmm well thanks ,I thought well maybe there is something I can do to discourage it ,oh well I will have to think of doing something ,it really grosses me out lol Thanks for your input,, strange habit isn't it how dogs do that

user5624
02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
My dog was doing that and I'm in the same situation as you, one story house, hard to place the litter box anywhere else. Puppyluv told me to try Forbid. It's a vegetable based substance that you sprinkle on the cats food and I guess dogs don't like it. I didn't try it, as I put a kitty door in my bathroom cupboard door and hid the litter box in there. It's working excellant so far. Not really an option in apartment though.
Give Forbid a try.

puppyluv
02-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Usually it is going after kitty crunchies etc because they are lacking vitamins in thier diet.

la5
02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Vitamins hmm well she eats Pedigree Food ,I was hoping she would get everything she needed from that what type of vitamins do you think it might be ?

miss_daisie
02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
ive had my boy for about a month and he does the exact same thing. Drives us nuts, not only is it gross. blah! Hes a staffie(kinda droppy lips like a boxer or rotty(not as bad) so the litter gets all stuck in his lips and tracked all over the carpets. ewwwies.
We just try to discourage it you know letting him know its bad everytime we catch him doing it. I live in an apartment also so I cat really hide it or get it out of the dogs reach.
If you hear of any ideas let us know eh?:)

puppyluv
02-07-2007, 03:56 PM
it is not good to let them eat it...there can be quite a few harmful bacterias in it...

the thing I would suggest, is to use the forbid, but also to contantly make sure the yard or box is clean (cat) so they cant...

ps..our Jes ate some the otehr day..Forbid is coming our way as well :(

miss_daisie
02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
where can you get this forbid? and how much does it run?

Misty589
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
lol our 3 dogs all do that one is particularly bad he drivers me crazy!!!
oh well, saves on scooping (JJ obviously :))

jaxon
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
hi, my dog did this as well and we bought a hooded litter box with a flap door. he doesnt bother with it anymore.

frylock
02-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow :eek:

I'm more of a cat person, but this makes it seem even grosser when people let dogs lick their face :eek:

domarloc
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
The hooded cat box with a door stopped my dog from having her midnight snacks. It was a little expensive but well worth it.

babydoll101
02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
The hooded cat box with a door stopped my dog from having her midnight snacks. It was a little expensive but well worth it.

Walmart has them for a good price. I think 15 something. I just went and got one. They are well worth it;)

domarloc
02-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Really?? Does yours have a door too? If so I got ripped!! I went to village Pet Center and paid $38 + taxes

user5624
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Yup I also got one with a door at Walmart for about $15. All though I took the door off and couldn't find it again.

babydoll101
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
It does have a door!! Nice colors too.;)

Goin4Coffee
02-07-2007, 09:06 PM
:mad: think i got ripped too,, im sure i paid 29 + taxes,.. but too small for the cats & that extra bottom & so called screen was the pits...wasting money..:mad: Anyway it was easier to block the dog off..flap didnt deter her at all.. she did the litterbox thing too when she first came just the ONCE..& I was Livid... eeewwwwwhhh... I think maybe it was a diff smell (cat), but I wanted to litterbox train her and gave her her own litterbox,,,haha had scoopable on her face trying to eat it...(clean though) so I tried yesterdays news--that was a nice Toy,, since she flung it out all over the floor & chased it instead of using it....someone said to use pellets (stove) nope they roll great too.. so she only use to do her business on the gravel,, so scooped ip some gravel & tried that,, nope she loves carrying rocks...so shes not litterbox trained, but fully trained for outdoors, & has Never messed in her crate..Kitty box is off limits until she matures some more, & I may take the gate down & give her a test someday,,not too soon though.:p

I'm sure all these animals are not lacking something, but its a good point.. as pups I think they'll try anything especially if it fun to dig in or chew on:eek: ---like my sock thief !!!