PDA

View Full Version : Family allowance question?

Nita
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
My son, Oliver, was born August 5th. I mailed my applications for family allowance etc. about a week later. I logged into my account on the government website & saw that I'm apparently getting my first payment this Friday. My question is...when the payments come out, are they for the previous month? or the current month? I ask because the payment is for the monthly amount I expected to get...no more. I was told over & over again by so many people that my first payment would be large & would be retroactive to the date he was born. So I'm just wondering if the payment is for the month of September, there's been an error & I'm owed more money for August, or if the payment IS for August. Thanks!

chevybeerman
09-16-2008, 10:09 PM
It depends on how long you had to wait for the cheque.
If your son was born Aug 5, and your supposed to get the cheque for the 19th, Then you would only get family allowence for September. You dont get it for the month they were born. If you were not getting your cheque until the 20th of october for example.. then it would be retroactive for sept and including oct.

MichelleM
09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
the reason your not getting a big cheque is because he was born one month and they actually have it processed to give you the regular next months cheque.....that generally doesn't happen.

livkat
09-17-2008, 07:12 AM
the reason your not getting a big cheque is because he was born one month and they actually have it processed to give you the regular next months cheque.....that generally doesn't happen.
Actually, with both of my daughters I recieved cheques the very next month after there births.

MichelleM
09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually, with both of my daughters I recieved cheques the very next month after there births.

Then yours would have been a regular one too, she can't expect a big back paid check if she has not waited.

livkat
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Then yours would have been a regular one too, she can't expect a big back paid check if she has not waited.
Obviously the cheque is only for a month, I was stating that my children were born one month, and everything was processed and ready the very next month.

dittydottie
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
consider yourself very lucky because I know people who have had to wait 4 monthes.But when they did get it it was for all monthes.(a big cheque)

newmommy
09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
it all depends. see my son was born dec 30 2006 and i waitted until april 2007 before i got mine. it was 4 months worth.

But with my second son who was born jan 19 2008 i only had to wait 2 months before i got mine. I'd call the ctb number and ask.

Nita
09-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replies...

So, family allowance ISN'T retroactive? I was told by several people that it was. You don't get anything for the month the child was born? That seems silly. So I guess, by process of elimination of what you've said, the checks come out in the month they are for...checks are not for the previous month?

MichelleM
09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
The cheques that are out tommorow are for September.

They are retroactive but not sure about the month of birth.You could call and ask.

shelby26
09-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Hello, I think it depends on when the child was born, since ur son was born on August 5th I believe u will get the month of August as well! U should aslo be getting the extra 100.00 for childcare wether or not that will be for the month of august I am not sure,it is usually out a few days after family allowance!

MichelleM
09-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I called and you do NOT receive anything the month that your child is born but will get it until the month after the turn 18 on the other end. So if your son was born in Aug. the first pmt you get is Sept. and the last pmt you get will be Sept 18 years from now.