PDA

View Full Version : hyperthyroidism in older cats

bleacherbutt
02-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Just wondering if any of my fellow ISaintJohners has every dealt with this problem. It is a very trying time. My babygirl "Mimi" became very sick last week. She is 16 yrs old but has been doing very well in her old age (so I thought). She was still active, going outside, catching mice, squirrels etc.
Eating well, although on occasion becoming very finicky.

All of a sudden she stopped her normal routine, she hid away under my nightstand in my bedroom when normally she can't wait for me to sit down so she can perch on my lap and get lots of attention. She completely stopped eating. She lost big time weight and began twitching. I managed to coax her to drink some water but when she drank, her tongue didn't even seem to come out of her mouth hardly. It was very sad to see. I really thought this was the end. She was always in a daze, just in crouching position and staring at the wall. She stayed hidden for a week.

Her back end was thinning over the past few months but I just believed it was due to old age and she was becoming frail. She was vomiting every once in a while and I also began noticing a little blood in litter box.

I began a desperate search on the internet as to what it may be, I searched everything from kidney problems to cancer. She had some of the symptoms but it just didn't seem like it was that.

I took her to the vet on Wed of last week. Dr. McKay strongly felt that it was her thyroid as he could feel it and her heart was racing. I proceeded with bloodwork the following morning and the diagnosis was definately a hyperthyroid condition. He told me her kidneys and liver function were fine. What a relief.

She is now on medication, 1/2 pill twice a day. As you can imagine that is a job itself just trying to administer the pills. She was so weak at first that it wasn't so hard but as the days go on she is getting stronger and believe me my hands can tell you that she has nails. lol

Yesterday I had to blend canned food with water and force feed her with a syringe as she had not eaten in over a week. Dr. McKay told me that sometimes you have to do that just to kickstart them and get there bowels moving.

Happy to say that she seems to be doing fine today. She met me in the kitchen this morning with a "meow". She ate from her dish and has been roaming around a little. It will take some time to recover fully but I think she is on the mend.

I just wanted to post this to help any others out there who may be going through the same thing, if you notice any of these symptoms it is probably best to get to the vet asap.

Also if anyone else has experienced this already, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for viewing!!!