PDA

View Full Version : sick of landlords!!

leeleemom
09-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I have had enough!! The building I am in now went up for sale and sold. I gave notice to the new landlord that I would be moving. Here is the situation. My old landlord did not turn my dd into the rentalsman. She said she gave it to the new landlords. They won't turn it in so when I gave them the rent I only gave them the remainder. Well they took my cheque and said good luck. Then a few minutes later called me and said that they do not take cheques and wants us out be end of week!. My bf called him back and told him that we wanted a written letter telling us to leave. The idiot said no! My bf said he would be calling the rentalsman. The landlord said he doesn't deal with the f****** rentalsman, that this is his building, he pays the mortgage and that we will do what he says! He also said if we were not out by the end of the week that he will have ppl here to move us out!! I called the rentalsman this morning and left a message. I am sick about this. I have had nothing but trouble with almost evcery landlord I have ever rented from. I can't deal!

sanstu
09-03-2008, 08:01 AM
leeleemom, the next time you are required to pay a damage deposit, take it to the rentalsmen's office in person, along with photo's of new appartment. As to your other damage deposit, contact the office and file a complaint against your old landlord; by law the landlord is required to turn it over to the office of the rentalsmen. Good luck.

donteatrawpotatoes
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I have had enough!! The building I am in now went up for sale and sold. I gave notice to the new landlord that I would be moving. Here is the situation. My old landlord did not turn my dd into the rentalsman. She said she gave it to the new landlords. They won't turn it in so when I gave them the rent I only gave them the remainder. Well they took my cheque and said good luck. Then a few minutes later called me and said that they do not take cheques and wants us out be end of week!. My bf called him back and told him that we wanted a written letter telling us to leave. The idiot said no! My bf said he would be calling the rentalsman. The landlord said he doesn't deal with the f****** rentalsman, that this is his building, he pays the mortgage and that we will do what he says! He also said if we were not out by the end of the week that he woill have ppl here to move us out!! I called the rentalsman this morning and left a message. I am sick about this. I have had nothing but trouble with almost evcery landlord I have ever rented from. I can't deal!

Wow! That's only slightly illegal-sarcasm!-. what a jerk!

urforever_love
09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I know how you feel I was in almost the same situation. I got so sick of slumlords and ones who just break the law, I bought my own place so I didnt have to deal with that. They do not care about anyone, just want their money.

donteatrawpotatoes
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I know how you feel I was in almost the same situation. I got so sick of slumlords and ones who just break the law, I bought my own place so I didnt have to deal with that. They do not care about anyone, just want their money.

Not everyone can do that, but it is definitely the smartest thing to do.

Tremc
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm tired of landlords in general as well! Thats why I am moving into my own house at the end of the month! Its really NOT that expensive to buy your own place either... it can be cheaper than rent.

donteatrawpotatoes
09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm tired of landlords in general as well! Thats why I am moving into my own house at the end of the month! Its really NOT that expensive to buy your own place either... it can be cheaper than rent.
We only pay $800 for rent, I doubt it's possible to have a mortgage much cheaper. Also, he doesn't make all that much. So for some I don't know. I do know that we just went through the process of having our building sold, It was terrible.
I can definitely sympathize with your situation leeleemom. :( It's terrible that so little is enforced.

leeleemom
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
We figure in a bout a year will be able to buy our own place but till then we have to rent. I just feel that landlords get away with too much. The experience that I have had with landlords makes me feel that they think they are somehow better than us renters. But if we weren't around to rent they wouldn't be making money!

Tremc
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
We only pay $800 for rent, I doubt it's possible to have a mortgage much cheaper. Also, he doesn't make all that much. So for some I don't know. I do know that we just went through the process of having our building sold, It was terrible.
I can definitely sympathize with your situation leeleemom. :( It's terrible that so little is enforced.

My 4 year old home cost me just a little over 800 per month. A couple that we know just bought a town house. Their mortgage is 350 per month. A friend of mine in Moncton bought a 25 year old mini home. His mortgage is a whooping 150 per month. My partner here at work pay a little over 200 per month for his mini home. So yes, it is possible to get a place under 800 per month.

ksbeckaa
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
My mini home, in a very nice country area is 333 a month.

Blazingsun
09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
call the Police. Your landlord is required to give you 30 days notice that goes for those who dont pay their rent as well. My daughter had this problem and the police are there to help you. We learned pretty quick how useless the rentalsmen are and just how many slum landlords there are in Saint john. Why? Because this is an old town. Most BUILDINGS are owned by property management companies and are quite expensive and the rest are owned by the average joe here and there who could care less. Move to Fredericton or Moncton and I can guarantee you wont be treated like that. There is always a chance but just drive around both those citys. Lots of NICE, large, high/low rise type buildings owned by a company! Its sad to say it but slum landlords are driving out our modest income citizens.

kaj27
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
My 4 year old home cost me just a little over 800 per month. A couple that we know just bought a town house. Their mortgage is 350 per month. A friend of mine in Moncton bought a 25 year old mini home. His mortgage is a whooping 150 per month. My partner here at work pay a little over 200 per month for his mini home. So yes, it is possible to get a place under 800 per month.

So an $800 Mortgage includes heat? lights? land taxes? water/sweage? repairs? property maintenance? insurance?

Damage82
09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
So an $800 Mortgage includes heat? lights? land taxes? water/sweage? repairs? property maintenance? insurance?

Mine is just under $900, it includes taxes. I don't pay water/sewage (thank you well and septic) Doesn't include power/heat, insurance or maitenace..... But the extra money is worth being free from "renting". I'm not putting down anyone who rents, but to me if you could afford to get a house, do it ASAP.

kaj27
09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Mine is just under $900, it includes taxes. I don't pay water/sewage (thank you well and septic) Doesn't include power/heat, insurance or maitenace..... But the extra money is worth being free from "renting". I'm not putting down anyone who rents, but to me if you could afford to get a house, do it ASAP.

Is it worth it though? Especially around here. I can have a pretty nice rented unit for that price and not worry about mowing the lawn, shovelling the driveway or if something breaks it's not my problem.

I'll own a home in the very near future, just not around here.

leeleemom
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
To me it is simple. When I am able to buy a home I will for sure. Not having to deal with a landlord is worth it alone!!!

girdy
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Is it worth it though? Especially around here. I can have a pretty nice rented unit for that price and not worry about mowing the lawn, shovelling the driveway or if something breaks it's not my problem.

I'll own a home in the very near future, just not around here.

You can buy a townhouse or condo, and your fees look after most of that for you. Or just buy a service or hire a kid.

A math exercise for buying a condo. In rough terms, a $125k mortgage gives a payment around $700/mo, add another $100 for maintenance, and $200 for heat/electricity, and you're paying $1,000/month. Lets say you put $25k deposit, the total condo price is $150k. Compare this against paying $1,000 per month for rent.

That $700 mortgage component never goes up in cost. When you've paid off the mortgage, that component disappears and the rest of your life you're living "free" for that component. The $300 is subject to inflation and continues the rest of your life. Your entire rent is subject to inflation.

So lets say we have 2% inflation over the next 25 years until you've paid your mortgage off. At that time, the $300/mo maintenance/heat bill has become $492/month, and that becomes how much you're paying for accomodation, getting your grass cut/snow cleared, and heating.

Same 2% inflation against your $1,000 rent payment, and you're paying $1,640 for rent in 25 years.

So 25 years from now, keep on renting and you'll be paying $1,640/mo for rent, instead of $500/mo to live in your condo.

Also, your house/condo will have appreciated in value, even if it is only 2% per year, the $150,000 condo is worth $246k in 25 years. Want to sell the condo, get $246k. Or break your rental agreement, and your landlord gives you back your damage deposit (apparently if you're lucky).

We all had to rent at some point, but get out of renting and into home owership as fast as you can.

donteatrawpotatoes
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I feel really terrible for hijacking this thread, but does anyone know the first step one might take in the acquisition of a house/ mortgage? Or a site with info, because really, I am completely clueless in this area, and have been REALLY busy or I'd just google it.

girdy
09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I feel really terrible for hijacking this thread, but does anyone know the first step one might take in the acquisition of a house/ mortgage? Or a site with info, because really, I am completely clueless in this area, and have been REALLY busy or I'd just google it.

Sunday 2 to 4 you should be able to find open houses all over the city. I'd suggest you start with that, get an idea about house values, meet a few agents, and select an agent that you feel good about. They'll give you a pamphlet (your bank could too) about what the process is and what to look for. It's their job to help out and answer any questions (lol - make them earn their commission). Most of them also know home inspectors, mortgage brokers, insurance brokers and all sorts of others. Unless you're going to buy privately, you need an agent, finding a good one is gold.

sanstu
09-03-2008, 07:27 PM

Your first step should be getting a pre-approval for a mortgage, whether this is done through your bank or through a mortgage broker is totally your choice. Most agents prefer to have clients that are pre-approved and in a hot market it could mean the difference between buying a home or losing out because you weren't prepared.

And yes, home ownership is definitely worth it. You can pay someone else's mortgage by renting, or you can pay your own mortgage and build equity for yourself.

oasis
09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
With my mortgage an the most expensive power bill I had last winter, I paid Just under $800 for that month. with the average power bill it runs me about $650 per month. That's over $100 less than I was paying for rent in my last apartment.

If you are interested in buying a house, plan on having 5% of the cost of that house for down payment, Lawyers fees,Ect. You can get 100% mortgagees, but you still need to have the money for the other expenses!

Also your landlord HAS to give you 30 days written notice that is the law. If he sends anyone in to MOVE you, call the police right away. They will be arrested for trespassing. Call the rentals man. Tell them everything. If you do not have a receipt for the damage deposit, sorry to tell you this but it is gone. Tell him you will call the police if he or anyone enters your apartment.

Also find the web site for the rentals man of NB and print out and highlight the parts of there site that are pertinent to your situation. Then give him a copy and tell him if he thinks he is above the law you'll see him in court.