PDA

View Full Version : home insurance

inuit
08-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Anybody know where I can buy home insurance? I have my auto insurance with TD but they have a policy where if you do not buy home insurance within 3 months of moving into your home, they won't sell you home insurance. My car insurance there is really great so I don't want to change my auto insurance for now. So far I've had no house problems but you never know.

Chinna Dah
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
any insurance broker will sell you house insurance. I go through Cooperators for my house, there is State Farm, Carnighan Taylor ( they actually cover my car), there are lots out there.

When did you buy your house? We got ours last year, and my mortgage was not approved until they recieved a fax showing I had purchased House insurance. No insurance...no mortgage.

mizunderstood
08-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Fairweathers insurance I believe does home insurance. They are great for my car and renters insurance, give them at call.632-1180

Proud Auntie
08-27-2008, 04:45 PM
State Farm all the way!

inuit
08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Thank you. I will check out those agencies. I bought my home 7 years ago and after I was here awhile my insurance co. wouldn't cover me so I kept putting it off. Now I have another home that I am building and should really have insurance.

dittydottie
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
State Farm .We have house insurance,car insurance(2 vans),life insurance,computer insurance.I think they are great.We are with Sarah Mallory Westmorland Rd.

dan j
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Tell TD if they don't give you home insurance you will take your car insurance elsewhere. Actually, tell them you got a quote from every place other people have listed here (for home and car together) and you want them to beat or match it.

inuit
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I just got back from town and went to State Farm and Fairweather's and guess what? neither of them could find any company to insure me because the home is empty and undergoing reno so nobody is living there. Imagine that. the woman at Fairweather's said she tried everyone and nobody would do it.

timmy
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Have you tried Higgins Insurance? TD Meloche Monnex wanted me to replace my boiler immediately in the middle of winter because of age when I bought my house even though I had and still have my car and bikes with them and had been living in the house for several years with their (tenant) insurance. The call centre chick insisted it could fail and cause a "total loss". I was interested to know the supposed mechanism of this failure since I am in Mechanical Engineering but she was unable to tell me. Fine I said, I'm changing AFTER the heating season to improve efficiency, not because of some ridiculous threat of total loss, and switched to Higgins for the house insurance. They gave me a better rate to boot. There is a special insurance for houses under const and hence unoccupied like yours. The peon you spoke with may not know that.
State Farm wants zero risk and a high price. I got a quote from them last yr and it was nearly double what I pay now (spotless driving record, lots of training and exp). "oh, we don't try to be the cheapest" she said. I said, "that's odd, it's not what you told me at the bike show 2 yrs in a row".

bigbadb
08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
We bought a house a few months ago and went with All Coverage Insurance on Somerset. They were awesome (you don't have to go through a call centre to talk to someone), best rates we could find (they always quoted us lower than other quotes we received),and recently we ended up switching our car insurance over and are saving lots of $$ per month.

sanstu
08-29-2008, 08:39 AM
inuit, I have to agree with dan j. contact TD., and advise them IF they refuse to insure your home you will move your car insurance to a company that will insure both for you. There are plenty of companies that would love to have your buisness. And yes your home can be insured during construction/renos. Your home has to be enclosed with windows and doors though in order to qualify.

inuit
08-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I have all new windows, doors, floors and wiring in the mobole including a wired in smoke alarm system. It isn't ready for occupancy yet because it still needs water and interior wall and insulation. I will try hIggins. As for TD they just said "We will be sorry to lose you but we cannot insure your house"

sanstu
08-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I could be wrong but I believe there is only one company that insures mobile homes.

dally
08-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Atlantic Insurance Agency insures mobile homes.

inuit
08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Where are AIA located ?

dally
08-30-2008, 11:43 PM
pm'd you