PDA

View Full Version : My rant : JOGGERS=Stupidity?

oasis
08-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Jogging Stupidity!

What in the world would make a person of lets hope average intelligence decide that when jogging, that it is perfectly acceptable to jog on the road when there is a perfectly serviceable side walk less than 6 inches from there feet. Or worse, what would make any one with even half a brain that IS jogging on the sidewalk suddenly when a 4000 pound vehicle comes hurtling towards them JUMP off the side walk onto the road?????????
<o></o>
It amazes me when I see these things. This morning coming home from a monthly appointment at the day hospital at St Joes, I was coming across the causeway and there was a group of joggers ON the side walk coming towards me when all of a sudden this genius decided to jump off the sidewalk and into my lane. I was the only car on the causeway at this time. Then he sticks out his hand to warn me to go into the other lane! WHY??????????? It made absolutely no sense at all. He endangered his life for what?
<o></o>
Why do these joggers feel they own the road? More than once going home I have had to pull out into a lane of oncoming traffic, or come to a stop to avoid hitting either them or a car coming towards me because there are 2 or three of these people jogging side by side. They just refuse to move. I am truthfully surprised that we don’t hear about more deaths from this group.
<o></o>
What is it about jogging that causes this phenomenon? Is it that there bodies are so oxygen deprived that in order to keep the muscles and organs of the body working that it pulls all the available oxygen away from the brain?????? It’s the only explanation that I can think of.
<o></o>
Why would any adult who is jogging to improve there health do something so dangerous that it could result in death? There is no rational explanation.
<o></o>
As you might have guessed, I am not a fan of stupidity. Which is a shame as there seems to be so much of it out there! As the saying goes
<o></o>
“God must love fools! Why else would he create so many of them!”
<o></o>
Rant ends, debate begins!

MrsBeasley
08-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe..... the jogger is superstitious and to avoid stepping on the crack in the sidewalk, jumped into the road. LOL

kaj27
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I run just about everyday. I keep to the sidewalk when there is one and even if there is a dirt path.

Someone tried to tell me that running on concrete hurts more than it helps but I've never had an issue.

trinity
08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't get it either, why would you run on the road when there is a sidewalk? I would see if you were a die-hard who jogged in the winter and the sidewalk was not plowed, but then you would be putting yourself at even more risk if a car tried to stop and slid into you. I tried running one year, but I went to the nice soft paths at the nature park for my running.

oasis
08-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I think it's great for these people to get out an run for there health. I wish I was able to. But I would think the fear of death would keep me off the road when at all possible. At the very least I would move out of the way when I saw a car. Not step out in from of it. These people seem to believe they are in such great health that being hit by a car would do them no harm!!!

I should start carrying my video camera with me and taping there stupid behavior. Then post it online for all to see. Maybe being how stupid they are might just smarten them up!

NoseToTheGrind
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
hope I don't ever run across that situation, the road is for my car, need i say more ?

Bill
08-25-2008, 05:43 AM
I think the theory is that running on the asphalt surface gives more then the concrete sidewalk so has less impact on the ankles, knees etc however this is from memory the only time I run is when the other guy has a bigger 2x4 then me :)

Bill

oasis
08-25-2008, 08:17 AM
I think the theory is that running on the asphalt surface gives more then the concrete sidewalk so has less impact on the ankles, knees etc however this is from memory the only time I run is when the other guy has a bigger 2x4 then me :)

Bill

Do you have any calculations as how the impact of running on asphalt compared to concrete compares to the impact of being hit by a car?:rofl:

And this guy on Sunday was on the sidewalk. Then jumped out just before I got to him.

kaj27
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Bill

Like I said myself, I run daily. I have both sidewalks in my area. They both 'feel' the same.

John Vasiliou
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Guess you'll just have to run them down. :)

Mertyl01
11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I think it's great for these people to get out an run for there health. I wish I was able to. But I would think the fear of death would keep me off the road when at all possible. At the very least I would move out of the way when I saw a car. Not step out in from of it. These people seem to believe they are in such great health that being hit by a car would do them no harm!!!

I should start carrying my video camera with me and taping there stupid behavior. Then post it online for all to see. Maybe being how stupid they are might just smarten them up!

LOL Oh yes...you should do that and while you're at it, tape the stupid bicyclists who "OWN" the road as well! :p

adorabull
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
What is it about jogging that causes this phenomenon? Is it that there bodies are so oxygen deprived that in order to keep the muscles and organs of the body working that it pulls all the available oxygen away from the brain?????? It’s the only explanation that I can think of.
<O></O>
Why would any adult who is jogging to improve there health do something so dangerous that it could result in death? There is no rational explanation.
<O></O>
As you might have guessed, I am not a fan of stupidity. Which is a shame as there seems to be so much of it out there! As the saying goes
<O></O>
“God must love fools! Why else would he create so many of them!”
<O></O>
Rant ends, debate begins!

HILARIOUS!!!

sanstu
11-03-2008, 04:08 PM
LOL Oh yes...you should do that and while you're at it, tape the stupid bicyclists who "OWN" the road as well! :p

Kinda harsh to tape them to the road, don't ya think?

christine chittick
11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
LOL!! I couldn't help but to run into this thread. :)

I have heard the theory between concrete and asphalt as well. However, if a jogger was that concerned about it, I would avoid asphalt and concrete altogether, and stick to dirt paths or dirt roads...they are apparently best by easing pressure off the joints while jogging.

You might be on to something about that phenomenon thing though...

I know there are some places that have the cyclists lanes, don't know the regulations regarding joggers to that designated space, but if it allowed, maybe the city should put in more of these designated areas for cyclists etc.

There is nothing more scary than having to make an option of a head on collision with an on coming vehicle, or running over a jogger. Who would be at fault, because wouldn't the jogger be jaywalking, and isn't it law that pedestrians have right of way?

kaj27
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
If a bike or a jogger is taking up room in which you drive on and cars are in the other lane.

You stop and wait for the cars to clear or stop and give your horn a tap to get the jogger/biker to stop/move.

christine chittick
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Its pretty hard to stop at 50km/h, or 60km/h depending on the speed limit, even harder if you are speeding (which you shouldn't be) if they jump out in front of you - whether they see you or not. Chances are they didn't even look if they are jumping out in front of you, same as the small percentage who does not look before crossing. And they shouldn't be tying up traffic by making us stop (especially on a busy street, or in this instance - the causeway) and tap the horn, if they have headphones on, they may not hear you sitting there, tying up traffic and honking your horn. There are drivers out there, who aren't paying attention, and may cause an accident if they don't see you stopped and run into the back of you etc. It does happen.

Do they not know that there is a large majority who speed (even race) along that causeway? Even though it is against the law - it happens...you would think if they valued their life a bit, they would avoid jumping in moving traffic.

I have nothing against joggers, I used to be myself, with my dogs. But I always paid attention to what I was doing, and didn't jump out in front of cars and signal them to move into another lane.