PDA

View Full Version : I know there are good landlords out there... but where are they?

leeleemom
08-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I have posted on this subject before but now I am so angry and frustrated I need to vent. I have had to move so many times it is crazy. All I want is a nice,safe,stable home for my children! Is that to much to ask? Apparently it is! Two years ago I opted to leave the apt I was living in because of mold. The landlord said he would fix the problem but after months of promises I left. I moved into an apt. The new landlord "forgot" to tell me the house was for sale! Yep...I found out the day I was moving in!! Not from my new landlord but from a real estate agent who walked in to show it!! ! month later it was sold and I was given the boot! The rentlesman was no help to me at all. Then I searched frantically for a new place yet again. I ended up renting a small 2 bedroom( I have 3 kids). That was all I could find. It was expensive but not a dump, like most I had looked at. At first things went well. I was renting from a property management company( I will not say who...although I should as they said terrible things about me). The man we dealt with was great but then a new man was hired and he was very hard to deal with. He would not fix things. Anyway new tenants moved in next to me. They were partiers. But I dealt with it...apt living right? Well they came blasting over to my house telling me that my baby cried to much and I needed to put him in a different bedroom! Yeah whatever. Any way I called the guy we were dealing with and he blew me off. Next day the cops show up at my door! Yep courtesy of me new neighbors! Guess what I got evicted!! Yep! Given 15 days to get out! The rentlesmen was no help then either! I had to move in with family cause I had no where to go. Then I found a new place. Thought this time I had found the perfect spot. But this time I thought I had asked all the right questions. About kids, pets and even specifically asked if the house was going to be put up for sale. I was told kids and pets were fine and that she had no intention of selling the house and a matter of fact she was planning on retiring in it. Well not5 months later guess what? She put the house up for sale!! I have had it!I am so sick of landlords! I know there are good ones out there. I just can't keep doing this. I am a good tenant. I pay my rent on time. My children are well behaved. So now I am looking again for a new place to live. But of course the rents have gone up so high. I refuse to move my kids into a dump. But I can't afford to pay these ridiculous rents. Landlords should be ashamed of themselves! I want to say again that I know all landlords are not like this but in my experience the ones I have dealt with are very greedy and take advantage of people who can't buy a house.

a.b.and.her.two
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Ugh i feel your pain.. we lucked out and have an awesome ll right now and have been here for 2.5 years.. it is so frustrating.

Triple J
08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
They called the cops on a baby... for real?

a.b.and.her.two
08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
at least it was the cops.. i had crack dealers pounding on my door cause my 3 week old was crying. i was disturbing their partying.. this was upper west side 5 years ago...

leeleemom
08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Well they told the cops there was "screaming" going on. When the cops got there I explained that my baby was sick and had been crying for about 20 minutes. They left. But these neighbors called the cops on the tenants that lived under them too. I found out later that this property management company was telling ppl that we got kicked out due to domestic violence!! Yes and this rumor got back to me...not very professional...apparently a crying baby = domestic violence!!

kaj27
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
How about a company buidling. I live in a Killiam Building and it's very quiet, family focused. Picnic tables outside, people BBQ outside nightly with friends. Very clean and new. Plus if I call with an issue, it's normally fixed within a few hours.

MistyMoon
08-23-2008, 08:34 AM
There has to be more to this. 15 day evictions aren’t just given out due to rumours and crying babies! And if this is true I would seriously be fighting this. Not that you want to remain there but who wants that kind of rumour following you around?

I had to move a few months ago. The landlord needed us out to let family in. It was a huge pain for me, but I understand.

When I looked at the place I am in now (about 4 months) I made it clear that we work shift work and do not party nor do I wish to be anywhere there are parties.
My landlords own the house, they are great for fixing or getting what we need and live above me…but EVERY weekend there is drinking & loud get-togethers,Friday and Saturday sometimes it begins on Thursday.

Now I have to move again and I’ve been looking since I got here…I’m floored the lack of availability of apartments!!! and cost has really gone up.

Is it ok for landlords to ask for full months rent and damage at once? I mean for a 2 and 3 bedroom the rent is 900 or more you’re looking at close to 2000. in one shot….who has that kind of money?

leeleemom
08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
The new guy who took over didn't like us. I honestly think it is because I stood up to him. He didn't like it. The smoke detector was broken and I asked him to fix it several times. But he would look for anything to pick on me about. He was an idiot. He went so far as when he gave us the 15 day notice he still tried to get a full months rent from us! He didn't get it and the rentlesman told him he couldn't do that unless he was gonna let us stay the entire month.

Cattylac
08-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh my gosh, this reminds me of the first apartment I ever had... Everything was fine at first... until I found that they had just painted over mold in every room instead of cleaning up the problem. Also my kitchen ceiling was leaking and they kept saying the were going to "fix it" for a good 4 months... there was still a gaping hole in it when I moved, and the guy living upstairs could actually move one of his rotting floorboards and look into my apartment. The faucet in my bathtub didn't just leak... it actually ran a steady stream of hot water and put my electric bill up about $100 a month, and I never had any hot water to shower cause it all went down the drain! THEN.. they had the nerve to put my rent up 30 bucks because they said I used too much water and their bill was too high. I moved as soon as I could afford it. I think they were taking advantage of me bacause I was young and didn't know anything about rental laws or anything. ARGH!!

newmommy
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
oh i know what you mean! we moved out of an apt beaucse our landlord was a idiot! there was SOOO many things wrong with my apt in the first month it was unreal. my bath tub tap (cold water) constendly ran i asked him to fix it he said he will one the weekend. he fixed it 3 weeks before i moved! my bathroom heater did not work my bathroom roof leaked when it rained. my back door didnt lock. my livingroom walls needed to be painted big time. i told him i would paint it myself if he got the paint!i was so sick of all of his excuses so i only paid a 1/2 months reant and told him i will give him the rest of it when my apt gettes fixed. he lived underneath me and i have 2 small kids one who was a newborn! he was a drunk and a pot head. my bf paid him, the rent one month and the landlord "lost" the rent and told us we didnt pay it! when i moved out about 2 1/2 weeks later i went to get my damage deposit switched over to my new apt and he put a clam on it saying i owed him a months rent and that the apt was "filttly". so there goes 450.00 i had to come up with out of my own pocket! good thing my new landlord is good and she understood and gave me time to pay it off!

newmommy
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
no one wants to move into a dump but id find the first thing i could find and move it to it until i could find a good place!my cousin had night terrors because my aunt moved so much.

Woofer
08-24-2008, 07:03 AM
i do know of one landlord who i thought was great , dont know how he is now because i got a house long ago, but we lived in his buildings for 10 years and thought how good he was, he now owns a building on micheal cres, if anyone wants to know his name PM me, thanks

Chinna Dah
08-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Well let me to you this. My husband and I bought our first house last July, it is a 2 family, We put the 2nd unit ( bottom flat ) up for rent about 3 days after we bought it ( the sold sign was still in the front yard) The pace is huge 3 bedroom, living room dining room, but it needed to be painted ( it had UGLY 70's paper all through) and we had ordered a complete new kitchen as there were no cupboards in the kitchen at all.

We must have had 20 people come through this place, and not one person came back for a second look, or even called back to say no thanks or piss off or whatever.

We renovated the flat, it has all new appliances ( washer/dryer, fridge stove, and dishwasher), brand new kitchen cupboards, all new paint all through out, and we had a company come in and srub all the hardwood floors, and wax them, the place is absolutely stunning now, and luckily I ended up getting a wonderful tenant, who loves this place as if it were her own house.

And we were only asking 700.00 which includes cable and internet.

So yes we are out there, but for some reason or another people over look us and move into dumps instead.

leeleemom
08-24-2008, 12:20 PM
If it was just me I wouldn't care so much. But my kids are suffering. I am trying so hard to stay on the west side to keep my kids from having to change schools. We are a family and need a home. What makes it harder is that we have a dog and a cat. So many adds say no pets,no kids...... I am trying to find a way to buy a home. But I have decided to return to school. I want to be able to have a stable career and be able to support my family. With the rising costs of rent I just can't get by on min wage. So getting a mortage is impossible right now cause they won't look at me! It is all so frustrating!! So if anyone knows of an apt on the west side(3 bedrooms) that allows children and pets let me know!!

puppyluv
08-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I had a huge apartment before I bought my house. I spoke with the landlord just a few weeks ago as well and his business is doing well. He did allow animals, and had adult only buildings as well. His prices were fair, not cheap, but very fair for what you were getting. If I was to look for another apratment, I would definitely move back into one of his. Mark Hennberry is his name.

leeleemom
08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
My god I am so frustrated! I can't find an apt anywhere! It is either no kids or no pets or both!! Then to top it off the rents are sky high!

LiLLY
08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I agree with Kaj27 I too live in a building owned by Killiam and absoultly love it!

leeleemom
08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Well I went to look at a place last night. It was very nice. It is looked after by a property management company and he said he would have to talk to the owner about the dog. But if he gets the ok it is mine! I am so hoping! It was not the biggest place and the rent is a little steep but I can do it! It has a nice backyard for the kids and it is on a dead end road. I am so excited, I really hope that I am not getting my hopes up!!

leeleemom
08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Well I got the house! The dog is no prob! So hopefully I am putting myself in a good situation! I am very excited and can't wait to get out of where I am and into my new place! Wish me luck!!

Chinna Dah
08-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh that is great..Good Luck!!

sandie8979
09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I myself rent from Wendell Friars. He is a great guy. Stops by occasionally just to see how I'm making out and if I've got any problems. The last tenants had left behind some little friends, fleas. of course, since there was no one living here there were only eggs until myself, my daughter and my INDOOR cat moved in. When I told him about the fleas, he had an exterminator come and take care of the problem. no questions asked. I don't know if he has any apartments available right now, but I do know that kids and cats are no problem. And for a 2-bedroom uptown with hot water included AND a washer and dryer hookup, I'm only paying 575 a month. works for me.